Now Here's A Novelty

Gracie

Let's start a thread about all the wonderful things the Broads has to offer, the happy times we've all experienced, the help and support we all offer each other because we have the Broads and boating in our blood, two things we all definitely have in common

Romantic times like when Jay and I sat on the bow of the boat late at night cuddled under a duvet having a glass of wine, watching the stars and listening to the water

The helpful people like my Dad who once helped an elderly couple (novices) who were terrified,  he climbed aboard with permission and took them back to the boat yard for extra tuition. I'm sure we've all helped someone out at some point or been on the receiving end of a helpful hand

It's not all crashes, bumps and drunks

Don't forget all the friendly waves as boats pass each other whether private, hire or even one of those ruddy flappy things :default_smiley-char054:

The gorgeous pubs you can visit along the way for a few drinks or a bite to eat and not forgetting the absolutely beautiful scenery along the way too. 

It's summer time, here's to happy boating everyone :default_winko:  Jay and I are kayaking soon, god help the lot of you :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

ok, I will chip in with the lovely gentleman in may, who helped me walk my boat past his from the moorings in cockshoot dyke when i didnt have the space to turn at the end and was struggling to get steerage way in reverse in the space available.

• Like 8

I've helped loads of newcomers onto and off of moorings, and generally had a ruddy good chat to them for a while too about all things the Norfolk Broads.

We have some fantastic precious memories Grace, Potter Heigham is still one of the best though, those wonderful ducks :default_norty:

I'm looking forward to the kayaking too, a new adventure on the waters (more to come on that soon) 

And finally here's to the wonderful Broads Pub's that I love and have to drag my Grace to, kicking and screaming.......honest :default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_beerchug:

When I first came to the Broads I was trying to cope with a tricky mooring and it took a while. An very old gentleman had watched the whole thing and as I tied up he came over and in the broadest Norfolk accent I've ever heard complimented me on "making haste slowly" I was ridiculously proud and learned that I had accidentally done the right thing.

There was the time a swan rescue chap was working alone in a very small boat. He'd caught a big brute of a swan (I'm from the city) but couldn't get to the fishing line and weights hanging from it's beak without 3 hands and a stable platform. We invited him onboard our craft and held the swan while he gently pulled out a good length of line and weights with no damage. Swan released and another magical memory.

Twice we've watched an owl hunting at dusk. We've sat out in the dark while bats swooped around us.

We made a silly mistake once and had to call BA for help, the ranger's launch was luckily not far away and was soon with us. Nicer guys you couldn't wish to meet helped us and we were good to go. They easily could have had a chuckle at our situation or given us lectures on helming but they could see we already knew better and it was just one of those lapses of a moment that had consequences this time.

I could write a book.. the lovely meals, the sunsets and the amount of genuine and friendly boaters from whom I have learnt so much.

Great idea for a thread Grace!

• Like 7

I’m sure we all have moorings we’re proud of and those that weren’t quite so perfect. I’ll always remember my first two moorings at Bramerton Common and Reedham. Private owners helped me out with advice and wisdom that I have long remembered. And in turn we have always tried to offer help to fellow boaters. 

My best ever mooring? Slotting Fair Prince perfectly into a space between two boats at a crowded Ranworth Staithe!

Best overnight mooring? Hard to pick but Womack Water all to ourselves in March was very special. 

• Like 7

I have such fond memories of my childhood holidays on the Broads I could also write a book on it and have introduced Selsie to this special place and now he too has the Broads Bug.  

Special times will always be taking part in the DIY Sos. We were both nervous, we didnt know anyone and we have now made such wonderful lifelong friends and also learning new skills about boat building and maintenance. 

Whilst sorting out the ropes, up popped an otter literally 2 ft away from my face. I think we were both as shocked as eachother. Id never seen an otter in real life and he had certainly never seen a Lulu! 

Every time we get to our boat, we have an instant ‘ ah we are home moment’. I don’t t think that feeling will ever go away. 

• Like 5

Once we’re on our boat our kid behave like kids should/used to. Gone are the iPads, TV and games consoles! It’s fishing rods, kayaks, writing down boat names as we go along and even......conversation!!! 

• Like 6

The peace and quiet , the friendly locals , holiday makers and fellow boat owners .

Watching the smile on a child’s face when you return their frantic wave and the squeal of delight they give when you give them a toot of the horn .

The willingness of strangers to help others when in difficulty 

I could go on for ever , we love the Broads for being simply what they are 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Like a breath of fresh air this post - thank you Gracie.       If we all sat and counted our blessings occasionally what a better world it would be.   :default_drink_2:     The Broads are infectious.      The first time we were on a boat on the Broads I vowed and declared that I was never ever going back again.  Huh 30 years later and we not only hired from then on, but then bought our own boat, and even now live on the Broads.     Fabulous, especially in this weather.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Any waterway is good to be on, we all relax into a slower pace of life, we watch whats happening around us and take in what nature has to offer us.

Regards

Alan

I remember going along the shallow Chesterfield Canal with the engine just ticking over, so clear you could watch the fish and surprising friendly anglers who said sorry didn't hear you coming then jokingly asking if we had the bacon sandwiches on

• Like 5

Just now, marshman said:

Can we link this to the "incident" thread somehow - we can then see how those things are really quite rare in comparison!!

I believe that was Gracies Intention, while all too often incidents are reported, we forget that for every incident there are hundreds of lack of incidents, so a skewed picture often results on any type of forum. for example a volvo forum I post on has posts asking how to fix this problem or that problem (though since it is a volvo forum, its not often there are more than a post each day so it is quite quiet) then you get someone coming from another type of car forum asking why its so quiet.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ray said:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” 

- Ratty

:default_stinky: :default_smiley-char054: :default_biggrin:

Flattered if your post is directed at me Ray. Birthday on Saturday, I'll be at that address on Sunset Strip if you are old enough to remember that LOL

• Like 1

About 30 years ago my wife (at the time) and friends were visiting Oulton Broad one summer Sunday. We came across a family stood on the quay at the Yacht Station in some distress. Their little boy (about seven years old) had been feeding ducks with his sister and had lost his new glasses into the water. He'd only had them a week and wasn't used to them. They had simply slipped off his nose.

Shoes, socks and jeans off, into the water, didn't realise it was so deep and cold!! About 10 minutes of diving in the filthy water with just about zero visibility returned a couple of cans, a spanner, several stones and finally a pair of blue NHS specs, none the worse for their dunking.

By way of thanks we were treated to a pot of tea at the café on the corner of Bridge Road and the car park behind the Yacht Station (now closed).

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Flattered if your post is directed at me Ray. Birthday on Saturday, I'll be at that address on Sunset Strip if you are old enough to remember that LOL

I am indeed old enough to remember the address on Sunset Strip :12_slight_smile: However us boaters are only ever half our age because of the stress busting rivers.

Happy 38.5th birthday for Saturday :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Screenshot_20190704-102843.thumb.png.3e8262d41681396f43f00035f0608dd2.png

1 hour ago, Seagypsy said:

Kookies Ford Fairline 500 convertible with licence plates 77 SUNSET.

• Like 3

I can remember driving away from Brundall after our first ever boating holiday in 1982, I felt absolutely devastated to be leaving such a fantastic place. It was 18 months before we could hire again and I almost made myself ill with the anticipation! There have been so many magic moments and, happily, there still are all these years later. (Trials and tribulations as well as all boat owners know but it’s well worth it!)

• Like 3

Well I'm glad I started this, it's lovely reading others experiences and not just the bad one's. Jay will be starting a blog on us kayaking soon, it should give you a laugh if nothing else, I mean me in a kayak in heels :default_biggrin:

Happy Birthday for Saturday Seagypsy :default_winko:

Grace

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I can remember driving away from Brundall after our first ever boating holiday in 1982, I felt absolutely devastated to be leaving such a fantastic place. It was 18 months before we could hire again

It was that exact feeling that led me to buy my share in MS, the devastation of leaving after a week on the rivers, and having to wait another year before I could get another week again.

11 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Jay will be starting a blog on us kayaking soon, it should give you a laugh if nothing else, I mean me in a kayak in heels :default_biggrin:

I'm sure the only thing funny about it will be if I fall in. And for the last ruddy time, you're not wearing heels, save them for the evening in the pub, not the ruddy kayak :facepalm:

Boating experiences whether on The Broads or other waterways are always special. Boating is unique with a special ethos of it's own. When my husband and I got married  We decided to go in search of a boat to buy.  He had previously owned boats while I had never been on anything smaller than a cross Chanel ferry  other than a rowing boat on the local park lake! While we were going round different brokerages I noticed people greeting my husband in a very friendly way and commented how amazing it was  that they recognised him after so long away from the boating scene. He roared with laughter and  explained that in "boating" everybody speaks to everybody as if they are acquainted and in the main  are really friendly and helpful.  I was astonished as I'd never come across that attitude anywhere else and -  I still haven't.

Carole

• Like 6