Bins! Yes It's A Load Of Old Rubbish But Please Read This

JanetAnne

We are all too aware of the bin crisis currently occuring around the broads however there are still bins to be found on some moorings provided specifically for boaters use. 

Last week while at Wroxham about 19.30 in the evening we witnessed a council type truck pull up beside the bin enclosure and the driver deposit a large number of black bags into the bins pretty much filling the lot. I made a note of the reg number and intended to fire an email off to the authorities saying bins were hard enough to find when afloat without their staff filling them etc etc.

Anyway, a few evenings later and we are moored for the night at Neatishead when  around the same time, the same truck arrives and fills both their bins completely. Recognising both the truck and the driver it was out with the camera and we caught it all on film so to speak. 

Turns out one of the parish councils was desperate to catch whoever had been abusing their facility but they had assumed it was boaters and were looking to possibly remove the bins completely. 

And that is the reason for this thread. The bins at yacht stations, staithes and moorings tend to be marked 'for boat users only' and are being abused by other people. In some cases those bins could be lost if it continues.

Should you see anyone abusing the facilities in such a way, any information you can offer to the parish councils etc would be useful and may just keep these sites open for us boaters.

Most sites have the bin providers details on them. 

Cheers

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

We will be on the broads soon for two weeks,will look out.Seems be common every where.Close to home people  dump rubbish where they see fit.At our bus stop there are letter bins,clearly maked no household rubbish, yet often black bags left there.Sadly some people think rules dont apply to them. 

• Like 1

Yes it had markings etc but until proven guilty I dare not post pictures or the reg number... 

It had a caged in rear and the driver was in high viz. However if legit he was coining in the overtime working at that time of night!

we had something similar at home, we put the recycling bin out, someone threw a black sack in the top, and the bin men refused to empty it, we had to manage our recycling for another fortnight with a bin almost full already, the black sack someone had thoughtlessly dumped in our recycling bin had to go in our normal bin restricting the available space for our own rubbish. fortunately with 4 weeks recycling in the bin there was absolutely no space for anyone to consider dumping anything else in it.

Why am I not remotely surprised???  The bins reserved for boaters frequently contain garden waste and lawn clippings - typical boating waste!! Plus anything else you can think of!!

It still beggars belief that the Councils can still produce figures that suggest that the imposition of charges at Household Waste sites, has no material effect on fly tipping??? Just who do they think they are kidding??

• Like 5

These bags were full of exactly what you would expect from boats, food packaging, cans bottles etc (some were opened at the time). It was almost like someone emptying the bins from a campsite or similar because there was no junk mail or letters.

Some of these people may be like my mother in law. After cooking a chicken for a Sunday meal or something she wood send father in law round to a coop store a short walk away to put the carcass in their bin. ( it was one that gulls etc couldn’t access) but “I’m not having that in my bin, it’ll smell” was her attitude.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

2 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Some of these people may be like my mother in law. After cooking a chicken for a Sunday meal or something she wood send father in law round to a coop store a short walk away to put the carcass in their bin. ( it was one that gulls etc couldn’t access) but “I’m not having that in my bin, it’ll smell” was her attitude.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I thought the freeloaders ate at your house :default_eusa_naughty:

My non recyclable bin last week was left un-emptied and when I phoned to complain I was told it was because it had builder's rubble in it. Really? I'm no builder but I had picked up three small bits of concrete from the road outside my house, all picked up with one hand, and disposed of in my bin, it seemed to me to be the right and decent thing to do. I explained that to the articulate gentleman who'd taken my phone call but to no avail, I must take it to the local council tip. Our local tip is the absolute pinnacle of appalling customer management & fine if you have a hour or more to sit in a queue so what should I do? I know, fly tip or better still dispose of it in those handy bins at the Yacht Station. I have every sympathy for those of who abuse the present system, the system itself being patently at fault in that it does not cater for the needs of us as human beings, at least to my way of thinking.  Granted that we shouldn't abuse the system but there are occasions when that system does not cater for the very people for whom it was created.  No excuse, I know, but perhaps understandable.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

My non recyclable bin last week was left un-emptied and when I phoned to complain I was told it was because it had builder's rubble in it. Really? I'm no builder but I had picked up three small bits of concrete from the road outside my house, all picked up with one hand, and disposed of in my bin, it seemed to me to be the right and decent thing to do. I explained that to the articulate gentleman who'd taken my phone call but to no avail, I must take it to the local council tip. Our local tip is the absolute pinnacle of appalling customer management & fine if you have a hour or more to sit in a queue so what should I do? I know, fly tip or better still dispose of it in those handy bins at the Yacht Station. I have every sympathy for those of who abuse the present system, the system itself being patently at fault in that it does not cater for the needs of us as human beings, at least to my way of thinking.  Granted that we shouldn't abuse the system but there are occasions when that system does not cater for the very people for whom it was created.  No excuse, I know, but perhaps understandable.

Try getting to the tip if you can't drive there.

Ours won't even let you in on foot.

Official council advice? "Get a neighbour to drive there"

We had a problem with a bin not being emptied. We were told it must have been overloaded so the contents wouldn't come out when it was tipped. Their staff never ever make mistakes so it must be us that were in the wrong.

An email to our local councillor worked wonders though. 

10 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

We are all too aware of the bin crisis currently occuring around the broads however there are still bins to be found on some moorings provided specifically for boaters use. 

Last week while at Wroxham about 19.30 in the evening we witnessed a council type truck pull up beside the bin enclosure and the driver deposit a large number of black bags into the bins pretty much filling the lot. I made a note of the reg number and intended to fire an email off to the authorities saying bins were hard enough to find when afloat without their staff filling them etc etc.

Anyway, a few evenings later and we are moored for the night at Neatishead when  around the same time, the same truck arrives and fills both their bins completely. Recognising both the truck and the driver it was out with the camera and we caught it all on film so to speak. 

Turns out one of the parish councils was desperate to catch whoever had been abusing their facility but they had assumed it was boaters and were looking to possibly remove the bins completely. 

And that is the reason for this thread. The bins at yacht stations, staithes and moorings tend to be marked 'for boat users only' and are being abused by other people. In some cases those bins could be lost if it continues.

Should you see anyone abusing the facilities in such a way, any information you can offer to the parish councils etc would be useful and may just keep these sites open for us boaters.

Most sites have the bin providers details on them. 

Cheers

Which one is easier to get a van too, I have a load of rubbish at work, may as well kill two birds with one stone next time we are down, October so darker earlier, cheers Dave

14 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

Which one is easier to get a van too, I have a load of rubbish at work, may as well kill two birds with one stone next time we are down, October so darker earlier, cheers Dave

Aren`t there bins in the Peak District then? You would save on fuel costs transporting the rubbish here. 

Maybe they were coming next day to empty the lot and were getting it into a convenient pickup. I have seen Kier teams do that who do our waste in North Norfolk. Makes sense if sending out a large truck to pick up as there are no landfills operating close now and our 500kg per annum per household travels a lot of miles to be processed.

11 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Aren`t there bins in the Peak District then? You would save on fuel costs transporting the rubbish here. 

Very few, and the tip which is half a mile away won’t allow vans, even with just household, the lay byes get pretty full of old sofas and last year I was fortunate enough to find a huge pile of asbestos, reported it to the council and it was promptly removed within 10 days.

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

These bags were full of exactly what you would expect from boats, food packaging, cans bottles etc (some were opened at the time). It was almost like someone emptying the bins from a campsite or similar because there was no junk mail or letters.

perhaps one councils employee is dumping the waste from their boat bins into another councils bins

• Like 1

we once had an issue with our council when our bins were not emptied, after phoning the council and being told to 'take it out of the bin and take it to the tip myself, I pointed out one minor hiccup. as it had gone into the bin, it was now deemed as waste, if I took it out of the bin and put it into my car i would require to be licenced to transport waste, as i didnt hold a waste transport licence I wasnt legally allowed to transport the rubbish that had been in my bin to the tip, an hour later a grumpy council employee turned up with a van and loaded my rubbish into the back. of course if they had emptied the bin in the first place it would have been much easier.

• Like 2

If the Parish Council need evidence, over a period of time that this person is abusing the bins (or others) I would think the ideal way would be to put a motion activated trail camera up in a suitable location that is not too obvious but has a good view of the area. Anytime someone comes within range a series of photos is saved. They have long battery lives and are cheap compared to setting up a CCTV camera to do much the same.

This would then gather evidence that it was not just a once off and help and case.

3 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I saw one of the householders at Reedham using the "boat waste only" bins and got a mouthful of abuse when I pointed out their "mistake".

Keep on pointing out those mistakes! We need more people in this world prepared to point out other peoples short comings to their face, it can only end up improving society, people who feel like they are being watched tend to act very differently!

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Park ahead of the gates and walk in as long as you don't have a car full. 

On one hand you dont waste half a day sat in that ridiculous queue (while the council are making money out of all the commercial vans that block the place up daily at upwards of £80 plus vat a pop) but then on the other you do risk a parking fine but considering resources are so stretched with the council being hard up for a few quid and it being an industrial estate I weighed it up as a risk worth taking!

Pakefield Tip is dire, I once took ONE very old and broken ceramic bowel from a jabsco compact toilet in there, when they tried to charge me £2 i took it home and put it in my black bin purely on principal!  

Since then I have managed to get rid of quite a few bags of soil in there without being charged by being a bit savvy!  

I can accept them charging the trade vans that go in there but anything strictly domestic or “household” should not be being charged for its a racket. 

12 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Surely putting rubbish in a bin of who Evers is better than dumping and leaving it or fly tipping it... 

yes in a way that is true, but when the regular users of that bin then have nowhere to put their rubbish, it just moves the problem onwards.