Mad Mynah Strikes Again

MauriceMynah

I've been looking at a boat which has twin out drives. I don't like out drives and don't need twin engines. This had me wondering whether it is possible to have a boat (in this case a Princess 32 ) both re-engined AND converted to a single shaft drive. It may be cheaper to convert to twin shaft drive, if so I can live with twins.

So, what think you? 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm probably being very thick here but why not buy a Broads boat? Single engine, shan't drive, low air draught, jobs a good un. When the lottery comes up that's what I'll do :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Poppy, do not comment on the size of his member - repeat :default_biggrin: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I've been looking at a boat which has twin out drives. I don't like out drives and don't need twin engines. This had me wondering whether it is possible to have a boat (in this case a Princess 32 ) both re-engined AND converted to a single shaft drive. It may be cheaper to convert to twin shaft drive, if so I can live with twins.

So, what think you? 

You have been looking at something you don't like and don't need ?  when you sober up , look at something you do like and need.............simples :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

The long answer is, new engine, gearbox prop, shaft, stern tube, rudder, engine barbers, plus new dash gauges, cables, steering installation (hydraulic or cable. And that's after - removal of old engines and out drives, re manufacturing transom. 

As people say John, don't even think about it, and drink tea instead of too much alcahol. 

8 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

As people say John, don't even think about it, and drink tea instead of too much alcahol. 

Who says that? The evils of tea drinking are all too prevalent. I can spend all night in the pub drinking alcohol while my Mrs sits at home drinking tea. I just quietly go to bed when I come home but she spends all night shouting and smashing pots! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

You have been looking at something you don't like and don't need ?  when you sober up , look at something you do like and need.............simples :default_biggrin:

Not quite right there Lastdraft, I do like the Princess 32, I like it a lot and have done for many years. In all those years I have had only two criticisms of the craft. Fixed roof over cockpit ruling out many bridges, and outdrives. Otherwise a lovely boat.

The one I saw the other day had had a canopy conversion and has a soft top and fold down windscreen. If I looked likely to proceed, I would be askji8ng Expilot to have a look and judge the required clearance at Potter.

This left the problem of the outdrives. My apologies to those who have boats with outdrives but I don't like them and will not have a boat with them. Twin engines are in my opinion unnecessary on the broads so if a conversion to single shaft drive was possible/feasible I would consider this boat further.

Norfolk Nog sir, You wisely suggest I look for a boat designed for the broads. Well done! Good point. So, what I'm looking for is a GRP boat single engine shaft drive, 30  to 35 feet long centre or aft cockpit that will goo under Potter Heigham bridge. Suggestions?

• Like 1

The Princess 32 has a draft of about 30in in its current form as a deep v hull with Stern drives. Whilst it is feasible to stick a single shaft out the bottom of the v with a rudder, any such arrangement would spend most of its life ploughing in the mud and hit just about any and everything laid on the bottom!

It would be more feasible to move the twin engines forward onto shafts with new gearboxes etc but you would be re engineering and probably replacing just about every component under that nice long cockpit floor you currently covet and doing many many £000's along the way.

• Like 1

To convert to single outdrive wouldn't be that hard (mostly grp work) and you would have a full set of spares, what type of outdrive? They are not all bad and give good manouverability.

Every boat is a list of prioritised comprimises so why not consider the outdrive?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Good point, thanks JA. What about "V-drives where the engines stay astern but the drive comes forward and then back under themselves? Would that be a practical option? 

Actually v drive may be a realistic option.

Keeping the engines in their current orientation, albeit reversed, may allow your floors to remain levelish as well.

Borg Warner did a Velvet Drive and V drive combination unit which may be worth looking at. They turn up on ebay quite often. The only reason I suggest Borg Warner is you can get a bell housing to fit them to most engines. Incidentally,  what are the power units?

I still.have no idea whether what you are proposing is feasible but reckon  you are still going to exceed the boats value probably three fold by the time you have finished. 

Interesting project though especially with those Enfield outdrive parts getting harder to find. There's a lot of those 32's laid about needing leg work... you could start a trend!

There are princess 32s with single engine in shaft , regarding the roof it is possible to convert the forward and side screen's to hinge down and if the roof is then a canopy structure then very easily lowered , one such vessel was at belaugh and had to be converted to get thru wroxham , sadly that was a twin version but single engine ones do exist , there was one in brundall as it was out of the water at brooms service place a few yrs ago hence I know there are single engine boats on shaft . 

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Norfolk Nog sir, You wisely suggest I look for a boat designed for the broads. Well done! Good point. So, what I'm looking for is a GRP boat single engine shaft drive, 30  to 35 feet long centre or aft cockpit that will goo under Potter Heigham bridge. Suggestions?

Alpha 35 ctr ckpt.  Probably the best boat that would suit your requirements.  By your desire for ctr or aft cockpit, you rule out the Bounty 30 + 37, The Aquafibre DC30, and The Bermuda 34, and all the sub 35ft fwd dv Alphas. The Bourne / Broom 30 is a great boat, but a bit narrow for comfort on extended cruising time.  A great many boats will fit the bill if the Thurne blockage was`nt a defining factor.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 13:22, grendel said:

could you convert it to twin hydraulic drives powered by a single engne?

It is possible, there was a Sancerre (?!), for sale at Jones Boatyard St Ives a while back which had just such an arrangement. Now how well it worked I have no clue...

It's not difficult to remove both engines and outdrives, fill in transom and glass in new engine bearers in the centre.  Refit engine and drive and you have a spare unit. My friend done this on his boat over 3 weekends.  To convert to shaft drive is not practical as you would have to move engines forward quite a distance to get the shaft angle correct, you could turn the engines round and fit v drive gearboxes but this would be expensive with the cost of gearbox, shafts, bellhousing etc.  To change to single outdrive it mainly fibreglassing,  if you can't do it yourself you can do the donkey work like getting the engines out and getting hull ready for the conversion.   Good luck.  Jim