Corona Virus

Paul

24 minutes ago, Paul said:

Whilst this sort of clarification is useful, and in my book a bit overdue I am concerned that it is being issued by our constabularies when really this is the job of law makers, i.e. government. The Police enforce the law, it is absolutely not their place to determine what it is, or even it's interpretation. Having lived, briefly, in the former East Germany I know all too well what a dangerous precedent is being set when police forces start to decide what is and is not acceptable especially when they are empowered to issue a penalty directly. The become not only judge, jury and executioner, but law makers as well, which is the very definition of a police state.

This has been going on for years, and I do mean years, everything from drug enforcement to speed limits, and now lockdown enforcment. This is what I referred to days ago as being governed by committee. It's the wrong committe, why bother electing a government when NGOs make the important decisions. (For those not aware NGO = Non Governmental Organisations).

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Poppy said:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/building-sites-can-reopen-says-4074261

Are they really trying to tell us that taking our boats out on the Broads is more of a problem than working on a building site ?

:default_icon_mad::default_icon_mad::default_icon_mad:

I think the argument is that on the way to your boat you might run over a kitten carrying a basket of nuns. This would block up the local hospital and cause everyone in the world to die.

Or something...............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cockatoo said:

I think the argument is that on the way to your boat you might run over a kitten carrying a basket of nuns. This would block up the local hospital and cause everyone in the world to die.

Or something...............

:default_biggrin:  :default_biggrin::default_biggrin: 

Meanwhile, the brickie on his way to work .....

On the other hand, them bloody tilers :default_norty::default_norty::default_norty:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Poppy said:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/building-sites-can-reopen-says-4074261

Are they really trying to tell us that taking our boats out on the Broads is more of a problem than working on a building site ?

It depends how much you pay yourself for taking your boat out really! Bit of a strange answer? well not if you think about it. DIY stores and building sites were never told to close, many did it voluntarily, but the advice has always been to carry on going to work if you cannot work from home. It is up to employers to ensure doing so can be completed safely. The likes of the big B&Q etc hardware stores are now implemented the measures that have been used in supermarkets and building sites are starting to do the same. One of the most important reasons for allowing all of this is to allow some of the economy to start moving again where it can do so safely.

As much as I want to travel to my boat and either stay on it, or take it out, it is going to add nothing to the economy. Maybe a little to the local economy, but only what I would spend in supermarkets at home anyway. It is frustrating but remember those same construction site workers are in the same boat as us regarding social distancing and non essential travel once they finish work.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It depends how much you pay yourself for taking your boat out really! Bit of a strange answer? well not if you think about it. DIY stores and building sites were never told to close, many did it voluntarily, but the advice has always been to carry on going to work if you cannot work from home. It is up to employers to ensure doing so can be completed safely. The likes of the big B&Q etc hardware stores are now implemented the measures that have been used in supermarkets and building sites are starting to do the same. One of the most important reasons for allowing all of this is to allow some of the economy to start moving again where it can do so safely.

As much as I want to travel to my boat and either stay on it, or take it out, it is going to add nothing to the economy. Maybe a little to the local economy, but only what I would spend in supermarkets at home anyway. It is frustrating but remember those same construction site workers are in the same boat as us regarding social distancing and non essential travel once they finish work.

So the economy is more important than people's  health and safety ?  Pah !  

18 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I don't think that's what I said! but we do need an economy to enjoy the finer things in life such as boats! It needs to be up and running again as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Poppy said:

It must be about a balance between the two.

If it goes on longer than needed there is a very real risk of stringent cuts to services and much higher taxes in the future.

Austerity will be the watch word for many years otherwise.

43 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

It must be about a balance between the two.

If it goes on longer than needed there is a very real risk of stringent cuts to services and much higher taxes in the future.

Austerity will be the watch word for many years otherwise.

I think that austerity will be with us for many years. Come what may.

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

Probably not, but the struggle I'm having is working out what it is that YOU are trying to tell us!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I think that austerity will be with us for many years. Come what may.

The longer the economy is locked down the more painful the austerity.

The saving grace is that most governments are printing more money to provide support, this devalues currencies equally. Those countries that were struggling with recession before will suffer more than others.

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Probably not, but the struggle I'm having is working out what it is that YOU are trying to tell us!

If the builders can go back, surely there's a stronger case for private boating, fishing and a whole raft of activities that easily permit socal distancing ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

If the builders can go back, surely there's a stronger case for private boating, fishing and a whole raft of activities that easily permit socal distancing ?

The builders were NEVER told to stop in the same way that the big hardware stores were NEVER told to close. They chose to do so until they could work out a way to resume business safely.

On the other hand I haven't seen a list anywhere of what leisure activities are allowed under lock down, or which ones can be resumed under lockdown, if they require non essential travel.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Hey, we just had 4 days without anyone posting anything like, "it's not fair I can't use my boat". I wonder if that record will stand for long???

Having been stuck aboard for however many weeks its been now, I would happily swap! We have put on a bit on a light show though..

I would kill for my canoe/kayak on a quiet river though!

92843868_10156733663416504_7871537823537430528_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

The lockdown is tough In my opinion  think it's right the country  is going in the right direction. Like many I miss the boat.I've not gone anywhere. As far as I've gone is my garden.If we are to get back to as normal as possible. We need to carry on what we're doing now.Sadly that means no pubs clubs restaurants. Visits to the seaside,trips on the river.I want to return  to work up to the boat visit to a pub etc,but it's not possible  yet.If we relax too soon.This virus will carry on.Then we really  will have a major  problem  which the country will struggle to recover from.Lets bite the bullet  and make the most of what we got now.Many are suffering  and some dieing sadly.Just remember  that.

• Like 4

I find it interesting how people so often seem able to read the story as it is intended', but immediately go off in their own direction, seemingly critical of the post that prompted them to contribute themselves. 

I suppose people are just getting more and more 'aggi' as this goes on.  Whatever !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polly said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

Oh sorry! This link will get you to the relevant article on early diagnosis of Covid19 induced pneumonia.

I've just looked at this article, really very worrying. As someone who recovered from pneumonia. Now living with COPD,I know the signs of an impending chest infection. And how best to deal with it.With covId19 induced  pneumonia, which I was aware of,but didn't realise how it differed from normal if that's the correct term pneumonia. 

Should have said  When I came out of hospital  I got myself a oxitmeter .If I dont feel right I check my breathing and checks your pulse rate also.For those that are not sure what they are.Most healthy people with have oxygen  levels in the high 90s.If mine drop to low 80s it's best I at least contact the Doctors. Pulse below 70 is good.Both of these are at rest.