Corona Virus

Paul

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

Similarly, I have two or three week INR checks at the hospital Coagulation clinic. While this clinic won't fund home INR machines they will accept the results if you buy your own of the same make as the ones they use. These machines cost £300 each so I have bought one and my GP will supply the consumables on prescription. This means I now only have to make one more visit to the clinic so they can calibrate my machine to theirs and make sure I am using it properly.

my last INR test was the tuesday before we were sent to work from home, fortunately mine is  pretty stable and i have been on the same dose for the last year or more, tests for me are 8 weekly, but they would only give 4 weeks of tablets. I have my tests done at the local pharmacy that can prescribe warfarin (many cant) so they do the test and check the dosage on the spot. this last time they gave me 8 weeks of tablets and i asked what the procedure would be next time, and how the  pharmacy would manage their home visit test patients, jokingly the pharmacy nurse said she would just get the patients to stick their hand out through the letter box and do the test from outside the door.

I am not sure how they will handle the retest in two and a bit weeks, but she did say they may well assume that the long term stable patients are unchanged and just reissue the next 8 weeks prescription, fortunately they will also deliver them as part of the service.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Intrtesting report.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52403772

"It is noticeable UK chief medical adviser Prof Chris Witty has talked often recently about "indirect deaths".

These are deaths not from coronavirus but related to the lockdown: people who cannot access care for other conditions, such as cancer, strokes or heart attacks, and those who take their own lives or suffer ill-health because of emotional struggles and the economic downturn.

Steps will be needed to safeguard against these, and, therefore, it is perhaps unsurprising that Sir Patrick says it is difficult to speculate how many will eventually die."

Perhaps the link below is not needed here, I sincerely hope so, but a lot of us don't know each other well and some may find it hard or feel it's inappropriate to discuss their feelings here, so simply just in case it can help someone and with no other comment needed here is somewhere that will help if help is needed

"We're waiting for your call. Call us for free on 116 123

Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. We're here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I'm a bit concerned that it says sander / polisher, the two things are very different. Sanders require relatively high rpms to work, car polishers should have very low rpms or they will damage the clear coat on your car. 

If you have a two purpose machine for heavens sake make sure it's correctly adjusted before you use it on your car

• Thanks 1

I think they have 6 speeds and the range is just about right - however I would not use mine for sanding unless you are expecting robust results!

It is a fairly hefty beast and your arms are likely to drop off - they are good at cleaning the hull with something like Farcla G3 and do use plenty of water out of a small spray bottle and a lower speed to stop it spraying over you and everywhere else. One word of warning - be exceptionally careful to keep the rotating cleaner head away from your antifouling as it will grind it in to your white hull in a flash of an eye!!!!!!!!!

And it is defo more work than just having a walk and is certainly more exercise than I can cope with after a couple of hours!!!! But the hull does come up lovely and, last tip, use the best quality polish you can afford - then top it off with 2 coats of Auto Glym extra polish protection. just the job but knackering!!!!

• Like 1

When will this madness end? when can we visit the pub, trips to the restaurant.Not so long ago we thought social distancing was being antisocial.Now its the norm.Not so long ago, our heroes were film ,pop stars.Bit part minor celebs.Now our heroes are Doctors Nurses .Care and key workers.Those in supermarkets, delivery ,posties .Its tough we will beat this and lets get back to normal.Stay strong ,stay safe.We will win.Lets take the good from now and keep that for the future.We are mainly looking out for one another we care about others, we support those in need.Lets see the good and disregard the bad.

• Like 3

Sadly I think we are all taking life too seriously!

I doubt behaviour and values will change significantly, and indeed should they? Civilisations and individuals have always had their faults and plus points, but will continue to change as times move on - whether it is for good or bad is often merely a matter of opinion coloured by our own perceptions which can be often be influenced by other external factors.

Only history however can tell us whether they were good or bad - or so  I think!  Remember we are incredibly adaptable - you have only to look at the younger generation to see perhaps a differing and a generally more positive view.

Perhaps we are just too old to see any positives!!!

• Like 4

to quote Dickens : Bah! Humbug!

Life is a serious business, especially in times of a killer pandemic.

We live in times when all our precious freedoms are unavailable to us, and these may be a bit eroded when this has passed.

The human psyche craves freedom of speech, thought and action and its not looking good going forward.

I've worked too hard all my life at being a grumpy old git to give that up now !

:default_tongue: (tongue in cheek ) :default_coat:

• Like 1

This situation is very hard for couples who live separately my no.1 granddaughter and her boyfriend are having what she calls virtual dates. They sit and watch the same film at the same time with their phones on and they prepare and cook meals and sitdown to eat them in the same way.  I admire them for sticking to the rules, it can't be easy.

Carole

• Like 6

Found this video which is film of Norwich as it looks during lockdown. How many times have you visited somewhere and wished that you could photograph the streets without traffic and people. Take a look at this. There is a brief view down by the river in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What I think is worrying , perhaps more people then those that are suffering from a number of conditions other then Corona. Such as cancer, heart,perhaps being the most serious. It appears many are for a variety of reasons  not contacting there GPs .Thankfully now Doctors, health  care people are encouraging those that think theres something not right to get it checked. Apart from my COPD,I'm in reasonably good health. I have contacted my Surgery twice. Did a phone consultation. If I talk at any length, my voice goes crokey.At first it may have been blamed on one of my puffers, now it may be something else.So in time I will have it checked by ENT.Its important to seek help if somethings not right.

• Like 3

I've totally given up watching the news on t.v. The  t.v. coverage has been of very poor quality in fact no quality at all just quantity. All gloom and doom with the same questions being asked in a dozen different ways. We're still continuing our routine of a   daily walk to the paper shop plus a weekly shop in the Aldi in  our town. Last week this was something of an ordeal as when Tony joined the queue at 10.30 am on Tuesday it was snaking right round the car park. He counted  and found that he was 48th in the line .The whole procedure took  more than hour and a half! This week we went after having an early dinner arriving  at about 7..00pm Having walked straight in, mission accomplished in  20 munutes. No prizes for guessing the new routine.

Carole

• Like 9

Ssshhhhh Carole, you'll have everybody heading to Aldi at that time, it's our favourite too. though if I can't hold back the excitement of my weekly trip out of the house then I often find 3pm is reasonably quiet too. 

• Haha 1