Corona Virus

Paul

Poppy, I hope you read this in the spirit I write it.

I think one of the problems is that some of your posts on this thread come across as sniping at the government's actions. Whether you mean this to be so I'm not sure, but these posts are, in the way they can be interpreted, highly irritating to those who, like yourself, have made sacrifices in the attempt to stop this bloody virus spreading. 

As has been said on many occasions, the written word poses far more difficulties in conveying the authors meaning than the spoken word, where inflection and facial expressions are there to reinforce the intent.

Where we may disagree on the subject of the virus, is that I believe the Government must attempt to find  "one size fits all" rules and that as a result we will all find ourselves missing out on minority interests unnecessarily. These unnecessary sacrifices need to be accepted in order for the "powers that be" to concentrate on the major issues.

I also think that the more exceptions the government makes to these rules, the greater the number of people there will be, clamouring for their  minority interests to be considered . No, The kayaker must hang up his paddles as the field shooter must hang up his 12 bores. (many other pastimes are available).

On a rather different note, It is my guess that the boating will be allowed well before the pubs are, That will result in some very different boating holidays, with people actually seeing the broads rather than just the bars. I wonder... Is this a good thing?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

thank you Polly, that made for interesting reading, my daughter being an asthmatic hypochondriac, already has one of these oximeters, and will now be testing regularly to ensure she notices any drops in oxygen levels, she did warn me that for best results from these cheap meters, that the same finger be used each time, as she says when she first tests a different finger the result can be widely different to her regular finger, but that a repeat test brings the level back to correct readings, so folks if you do get one and start regularly testing, just be careful that a sudden drop isnt just a poor result, by repeating the test.

A lot of the later Samsung phones enable you to check your heartbeat and oxygen levels. Oxygen used to have a separate area within the Samsung health app, but for some reason it now appears under the stress measurement. When you check your stress level, it automatically checks your heart rate and oxygen levels and tracks all of them over time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

How the hell does a phone check your oxygen levels? I assume an add-on must be needed or do you just take a selfie and see how blue your toungue is?

I don't know how it actually works but you put your finger over the flash/light and it reads pulse + oxygen somehow...

23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

How the hell does a phone check your oxygen levels? I assume an add-on must be needed or do you just take a selfie and see how blue your toungue is?

just the same way as any oximeter, by shining a bright light into your finger then measuring how much red light, and infra red light is reflected. In this way the device determines how much saturated hemoglobin is in the blood

Professional meters measure absorption but reflection is almost as accurate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as the field shooter must hang up his 12 bores.

Agreed of course.

About a dozen of us discussed setting up a few clay Pidgeon traps in one of many fields owned by our local farmer friend.  We only discussed it as a forlorn whim tbh.  We could have done it and kept to the social distancing rules but would have still broken the 'Stay at Home' rule so it didn't happen.  Nor will it until our government gives the go ahead.  The closest I will get to my guns in the near foreseeable is to strip / clean every one of them in great detail then lock them away again.  For no other reason than to tease mysen and just because I can, so there.

Griff

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I also think that the more exceptions the government makes to these rules, the greater the number of people there will be, clamouring for their  minority interests to be considered . No, The kayaker must hang up his paddles as the field shooter must hang up his 12 bores. (many other pastimes are available).

Agreed. 

And the cyclist and the runners should hang up their equipments (except for essential journies).

A lockdown is either a lockdown or it isn't. Indoor alternative machines are available for all these activities.

Prevent the virus spreading.

• Like 4

In a national crisis government have to come up with rules and a form of words that is not only effective but simple to remember, understand and apply. They have to work for approximately 60 million people with varying levels of competence, abilities, language, geographic location and societal living conditions.

All we can do is follow them for the common good even if we (rightly or wrongly) perceive flaws in them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RealWindmill said:

Agreed. 

And the cyclist and the runners should hang up their equipments (except for essential journies).

A lockdown is either a lockdown or it isn't. Indoor alternative machines are available for all these activities.

Prevent the virus spreading.

Yep I can just imagine living in a flat with the neighbour above pounding away on their running treadmill or the constant whine coming from the exercise bike!! Not everyone lives in a detached house with garden.

13 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

On a rather different note, It is my guess that the boating will be allowed well before the pubs are, That will result in some very different boating holidays, with people actually seeing the broads rather than just the bars. I wonder... Is this a good thing?

Probably. It could introduce a new demographic group to the Broads.

Except that more folk will need to cook aboard meaning that there will more engine running at moorings in order to fire up the microwave oven. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Probably. It could introduce a new demographic group to the Broads.

Except that more folk will need to cook aboard meaning that there will more engine running at moorings in order to fire up the microwave oven. 

Did you say cook or heat up.      Microwaving isnt cooking.   Will do everyone good to prepare their own food,  at least you know what you are eating.     Pubs to me are for a decent pint.         Will not be so expensive for families if they cater for themselves either and they can moor away from the melee.      As has been said they will start to see the beauty of the Broads.

• Like 3

Don't boats have ordinary cookers anymore? Well I suspect all electric ones don't, but why not have a good old fashioned ordinary gas cooker onboard - and I don't mean one of these silly tinplate "marine" cookers costing an arm and a leg!!!!

We have long established you can just go ahead and buy a standard cooker which lots of people have a home and stick it on a boat and enjoy the comforts of home!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Is that what you want to see? or are you using it as a point of principle for allowing other activities?

2 hours ago, Ray said:

In a national crisis government have to come up with rules and a form of words that is not only effective but simple to remember, understand and apply. They have to work for approximately 60 million people with varying levels of competence, abilities, language, geographic location and societal living conditions.

All we can do is follow them for the common good even if we (rightly or wrongly) perceive flaws in them.

Yes and the governments objective is to ensure as many of the 60m as possible survive this pandemic. So surely, as you say, the simpler the rules are then the easier it is for people to implement them, with equivalent sacrifices across the whole spectrum of society.

Cherry picking by the authorities of what people are and aren't allowed to do is creating confusion and, dare I say it, anarchy in some quarters.

So my "point of principle" is not to allow just some forms of exercise outdoors - Quite the opposite , lockdown should mean lockdown until this is all over.

And i'm sure that we all pray that be sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

And why not ?  When such as these are available  https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Bicycle-Turbo-Trainers/36141/bn_1676807

Exactly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Yes and the governments objective is to ensure as many of the 60m as possible survive this pandemic. So surely, as you say, the simpler the rules are then the easier it is for people to implement them, with equivalent sacrifices across the whole spectrum of society.

Cherry picking by the authorities of what people are and aren't allowed to do is creating confusion and, dare I say it, anarchy in some quarters.

So my "point of principle" is not to allow just some forms of exercise outdoors - Quite the opposite , lockdown should mean lockdown until this is all over.

And i'm sure that we all pray that be sooner rather than later.

Exactly.

It has to be remembered that being overweight or obese plays a very big part in underlying health conditions. A very large proportion of the people who have sadly died from COVID-19 had underlying health conditions. Exercise is an extremely important part of keeping fit and keeping weight under control as well as improving general fitness. Anything that improves lung capacity will give you more of a fighting chance if you catch this disease.

Not everyone has access to a garden, or the budget to suddenly go out and buy an exercise bike or treadmill.

Lockdown of the sort you are suggesting has the potential to add to the death toll. For the vast majority there is no confusion, we know we can walk, jog, run or cycle, even if that does get up the nose of those who want to wind surf, kayak, canoe, row a boat, swing a golf club etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Lockdown of the sort you are suggesting has the potential to add to the death toll. For the vast majority there is no confusion, we know we can walk, jog, run or cycle, even if that does get up the nose of those who want to wind surf, kayak, canoe, row a boat, swing a golf club etc.

And if you don't have - or the budget to buy - a bicycle ?

I agree with others. All - or nothing !

Of far more concern is the news reported today that a third of surgeons in a survey of the Royal College of surgeons of Edinburgh who carry out cancer operations had stopped performing them . If this finding is reflected across England and Wales it will have far more impact on the NHS than stopping a few who wish to don their lycra and get out on the roads !