Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I have to say that the response from the French public has been very much better than that of the British, that I have seen on TV. They have obeyed the regulations and this may have made a big difference.

That is a sweeping statement Vaughan. I don't know anything about how the French have behaved but a lot of people here have put a lot of effort and sacrifice into observing the rules. Don't believe what you see on the tv. The media focus too much on the negative questions and opinions instead of showing the good news stories where they exist.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Yes vast majority of people here Vaughan have done as asked and stayed at home. We have a few ignorant selfish idiots as I’m sure there is in France  maybe we have more journalist looking for a story.

John

• Like 6

Out of all the countries I visited during my time in the RN, the only country where I often encountered trouble was with the French and then always their northern areas.  It wasn't just me either, plenty of my fellow sailors had similar experiences.  Even when on holiday with MrsG and two young children in the early 90's on one of those ''Eurocamps' from way back when, myself and the camp barman so nearly came to blows.  Yet the southern areas I have always felt welcome and at ease.  Needless to say, I avoid France if at all possible.  It's a lovely country but wasted on the French (Sorry)

Griff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Oh well, I was only passing on what I thought might be up to date information. I did say I was only comparing with what I saw on TV. Of course I was!

I should have left opinion to experts. Lord knows, there are enough of those to choose from!

I'll help you out here Vaughan to give some balance: During lockdown it's easier to notice movements in the 15 house cul-de-sac where I live. At least 5 of my neighbours are "interpreting" the rules of lockdown to suit their own ends. Majority yes, but not vast.

• Like 3

It will be 3 weeks friday I’ve not left home.. 10 days of it has been with the virus.. All the symptoms and much more.. Totally wiped me off my feet..  And lucky to bounce back and today has been the first day of feeling normal again...  

keeping distance from others will help but it won’t stop it... my last couple of weeks at work I was basically in self isolation in my lorry cab with no contact with the outside world.. always using hand sanitizer and multi Anti bacteria alcohol purpose cleaner On all the surfaces I touched... And I still got it in the end.. luckily it didn’t hospitalised me..  

My neighbours have been fantastic out of 5 close ones we do a group shop Either one goes to the supermarket or if we are lucky enough we get it online as it’s hard to get a slot but we manage it.. 

Its great to come on here and hear the news from others in other countries about there lockdowns and how long there going to be in for.. And how there social distance is and rules..

I won’t go down the road of the French.. Griff is right great country but there attitude to us ..Shocking ...Many good times with fellow Brit truckers over the years

But they made us feel like an un wanted fart in an astronaut suit by them..  

sun is out and deck chair ...

might even have a beer lol :default_norty:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well, I certainly put my foot down a Gopher hole with that one, didn't I?

I had hoped that some up to date info on what is happening in the country right next door to us, would be of interest and even of help.

Instead I find myself in a minefield. A lesson quickly learned! I shall keep myself - and the French - away from this thread in future.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Out of all the countries I visited during my time in the RN, the only country where I often encountered trouble was with the French and then always their northern areas.  It wasn't just me either, plenty of my fellow sailors had similar experiences.  Even when on holiday with MrsG and two young children in the early 90's on one of those ''Eurocamps' from way back when, myself and the camp barman so nearly came to blows.  Yet the southern areas I have always felt welcome and at ease.  Needless to say, I avoid France if at all possible.  It's a lovely country but wasted on the French (Sorry)

Griff

I think you'd be a little less than friendly if your neck of the woods was regularly invaded by readers of the French equivalent (if there was one - there isn't)  of the Sun.  My experience of France over many years is similar to Griff's- except that in the North , once they get to know that you are not a tattooed , shaven headed yob but are decent and well behaved they are entirely friendly , helpful and welcoming where ever you go. Just  like the British really..

• Like 1

As a child I used to motor through France with my parents travelling down to the Riviera and I well remember noticing the difference in the attitude of the French people compared to the Italians,  the latter being much more welcoming and friendly. I don't think the French have forgiven us for whopping them or for saving their bacon either! In fact I think they resent us more for the latter  - remember the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished"!  Griff is spot on  Beautiful country utterly  wasted on the French.

Carole

I'm guessing it is all to easy to be swayed by what the press portray and gaining the wrong impression. Mind you from what I read the other day I'm not surprised Macron has extended the lock down. As of the 2nd April over 350,000 people had been fined in France for flouting the lock down rules. With fines ranging from 135 to 3,700 Euro's that's a sizeable chunk of cash. On balance I think we have been a little better behaved this side of the channel, even if the press would portray it differently.

• Like 3

I have spent a huge amount of time in France  in my 70 years. My Parents aquired a house in Menton in 1952 when I was 3. I remember the car being loaded by crane, Bristol Freighters from Southend and Lydd, numerous Hovercraft journies and crossing by every Channel crossing RoRo. In addition I have worked in Lille and Paris and lived there for 9 months, holidaying in France virtually every year when our sons were young arriving by car or for many years our own boat.

I must be honest and say I have always found the people of France charming, helpful and their manners impeccable.

The French have a formal and informal standard of behaviour and on first meeting out of good manners will normally be formal, perhaps the English find, erroneously, imo, this arrogant.

Also I never understand the English attitude to language, blaming the other party for their own lack of language skills, when the English are the first to complain when someone comes to our shores and cannot converse in English.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Vaughan said:

He did say that frontiers will remain closed to non-European countries. I take it that means the UK!

Better tell that to all of the migrants still plying across the channel to the UK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Could it just be because we kept whooping their buttocks at war? Remember some french sided with Gerry in WW2 so they kept their distaste for good old Blighty

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Huh!! it wasnt only some of the French ,  lots of people from lots of countries did just that too.    As usual there is always a peculiar mix but generally speaking good usually wins over evil,  thank goodness.

Another huge vote for France from me! I have friends who emigrated to southern France in Midi Pyrenees and have visited many times. I have driven through France many times and have felt nothing less than welcomed and being well looked after.  I was very tempted to follow my friends and totally up sticks myself. Only family kept me here. I also loved my visits to Le Clerc Supermarche. A totally different experience to that of Tesco/Asda torture! Wonderfully friendly folk and how I wish I was there now!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Another huge vote for France from me! I have friends who emigrated to southern France in Midi Pyrenees and have visited many times. I have driven through France many times and have felt nothing less than welcomed and being well looked after.  I was very tempted to follow my friends and totally up sticks myself. Only family kept me here. I also loved my visits to Le Clerc Supermarche. A totally different experience to that of Tesco/Asda torture! Wonderfully friendly folk and how I wish I was there now!

I do recall some years ago going through France and seeing the older generation of men sitting outside a cafe and when they saw our British plates on the car removed their berets to greet us.    Some people obviously have long memories of the good we did.  As you say we have always been made more than welcome.

• Like 3

It's not easy for me to comment on this.I've not been out of the house for four weeks.I do think by and large most are getting the message at last.Regarding our friends  across the water.When I smoked we went over every month to get cigarettes,chocolate and wine.Never had a problem the same down south. In Paris they weren't that friendly. Rarely spoke English. In fairness most large cities are the Same, including  London. I think as a nation we have a poor attitude regarding  language.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Well, I certainly put my foot down a Gopher hole with that one, didn't I?

I had hoped that some up to date info on what is happening in the country right next door to us, would be of interest and even of help.

Instead I find myself in a minefield. A lesson quickly learned! I shall keep myself - and the French - away from this thread in future.

As a Francophile who actually loves that bit where you are domiciled ( We had a very nice appartment in Port Leucate with a view from the terrace to Fitou and the foothills of The Pyrennes. Unfortunately it went with a few other assets following Black Monday 1987 ) I like your reports of what is happening down there.

Back then the whole coast from the Spanish border to the Rhone Delta was a real jewel. But like everywhere, they kept building.