Corona Virus

Paul

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

I agree with you about getting elective appointments back under way. As for the 250,000 though, yes proportionally it's a low percentage but we can't forget that it's 250,000 individual people, dads, mums, children and loved ones. It's very sad.

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poppy said:

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths......

I don't doubt the figures at all and I do agree with your general point I just felt it was a shame that so many extra deaths were diluted to a relative statistic. Didn't mean to sound as though I disagreed with you :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

You assume the 250,000 deaths are accurate.

China, Brazil, Russian to name a few can be guaranteed to be under reporting or not even capable of counting the true numbers.

These deaths are on top of the usual expected numbers from other causes.

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

China, Brazil, Russian to name a few can be guaranteed to be under reporting or not even capable of counting the true numbers.

Even if If deaths are under reported by half, then we are still looking at figures in the same range as those for seasonal flu.

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I don't think it's possible to say that. The ONS weekly statistics give a truer indication of the above average number that have sadly passed away. The weekly figures are available on the link below and also give break downs by age group.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

21 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Even if If deaths are under reported by half, then we are still looking at figures in the same range as those for seasonal flu.

But you miss my second point,

24 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

That is what makes the difference to the NHS.

The usual number of deaths for the Uk is 8 to 10k in a flu season,

The fact we have 28k and rising from Covid 19 in just over 2 months, with lockdown, indicates the virus should be of great concern.

The USA are allegedly expecting 3k a day in June,

San Paulo is digging 13k mass graves, for one city.

The problem is serious unless measures are taken to break transmission, The measures may be unpalatable but are clearly necessary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The usual number of deaths for the Uk is 8 to 10k in a flu season,

The fact we have 28k and rising from Covid 19 in just over 2 months, with lockdown, indicates the virus should be of great concern.

The USA are allegedly expecting 3k a day in June,

San Paulo is digging 13k mass graves, for one city.

The problem is serious unless measures are taken to break transmission, The measures may be unpalatable but are clearly necessary.

Sadly the total UK deaths is now 32,000.

sobering figures.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Not sure that relates to the UK. In fact it looks far from official.

GAA is Gaelic football..so I guess R.O.I.

29 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think I'll wait for something from the UK government.

I will stick with Face Book, they seem to know everything on there... :default_blink:

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

In this country we have members of the Flat Earth society,  people who are Holocaust deniers and the EDP. Is there any reason I should consider those two people in that clip as any different?

Professor Chris Whitty is Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, the UK government’s Chief Medical Adviser and head of the public health profession.

Chris is also Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), with overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).

https://www.gov.uk/government/people/christopher-whitty

So not exactly a 'Flat Earther'...

i heard Chris Whitty say this in the briefing a couple of days ago, and thought his description a breath of fresh air in a cloud of fog. We hear every day of the numbers dying, which is a tragedy for everyone who is now grieving. However, his words did put into perspective, the chances of actually succumbing to the virus, and in my opinion, is welcome as we now have to adjust to living with Covid for many months until a vaccine is available. Most people will return to work, and life will continue in a manner that keeps the economy going, while still taking care (as much as possible) to social distance and keep safe. 

I am not in agreement with the view that this was all some sort of political stich-up however. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

This is true however Chris Whitty did not say most of what was being inferred in the clip, that was opinion provided by Piers Corbyn(an Astrophysicist and Weather forcaster) and Richie Allen(a radio presenter who is funded by his own listeners).

My info regarding the two persons above was gleaned from a google search.

So if the virus is not that deadly, and there is not a pandemic, then why have an extra 50,000 people lost their lives in the last couple of months, over and above the normal 5 year average for that period. Whatever may or may not, should or should not have been on their death certificate, the harsh fact is there have been that many more deaths. No one will know what the number could have been without the lock down.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Professor Chris Whitty is Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, the UK government’s Chief Medical Adviser and head of the public health profession.

Chris is also Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), with overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).

https://www.gov.uk/government/people/christopher-whitty

I was talking about the two on the radio commenting on it as Wherrynice points out. It seems to me, as ignorant as I am, that it probably is a pandemic... but then perhaps I know what the word means.