Pubs We Remember

Hockham Admiral

21 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The Barton Angler - used it many times (Bartan Anglia ?) Eagle at Neatished - Another tick, Bridge at Potter - Liked that one a lot. Wherry was it? at Langley Dyke.  Stracey Arms in the late 70's early 80's was a gudden too.  Petersfield House in Horning, Anchor at Coltishall.  Sigh, happy days :default_beerchug:

Chequers at St Benets - Way way before our time, although Jenny Morgan might have had a soft drink in there when he was a nipper :default_gbxhmm:

Griff

We moored at Petersfield moorings and  walked up to the Pertersfield, we had very good meals there on a couple of a occasions.

Regards

Alan

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Berney Arms, no longer a pub, always enjoyed that place although not really a drinker's pub.

Maybe a gentle disagreement with you there JM :default_biggrin:

When John and Tracy ran the pub the beer was superb 

but thanks to Mr H it is no more :default_crying1animated:

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

We moored at Petersfield moorings and  walked up to the Pertersfield, we had very good meals there on a couple of a occasions.

Regards

Alan

A great hotel. After a week on a boat we had a couple of nights there to finish our holiday in style. A lovely restaurant too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Maybe a gentle disagreement with you there JM :default_biggrin:

When John and Tracy ran the pub the beer was superb 

but thanks to Mr H it is no more :default_crying1animated:

I really only knew it as the 'Pontiac Road House', an establishment that we frequented and enjoyed on numerous occasions, for eating rather than boozing. Prior to that, for no particular reason, we never stopped off there.  Maybe because my father had bad memories of the place. He was in the Observer Corps and volunteered for seaborne activities such as D-Day where his duty was to advise American gunners as to which aircraft were friendly and which were not. He also went up in Flying Fortresses for the same reason and following one operation he and the crew went for a drink at the pub. Having flown unopposed across Europe they came under fire at Berney, you can still see the shell-fire scars on the mill's brickwork. As for John & Tracy, if they had a Pyrenean Mountain Dog then I knew them, they had managed the Waveney Inn when I managed the River Centre. They left because he wanted to be a landlord rather than a manager. Our children also went to the same school. Mr H has a lot to answer for.

Anyone remember the Black Horse on the road between Hoveton and Horning. Old-fashioned place which provided the alternative name for Hoveton Little Broad. Did a fantastic rabbit pie, liver 'n' onions and steak 'n' kidney pud. Beer wasn't half bad too. Now a bijou executive housing development.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, w-album said:

Three Horseshoes at Hoveton, (near Roys), Blackhorse opposite Blackhorse Broad (Hoveton Little Broad), the Chequers which was near St Benets.  I think there would have been one at Horning Upper Street somewhere as well but apart from the first two these have been long gone.

Liz

I've learned something there as I had no idea there were pubs opposite Black Horse Broad and near St Benets. Does anybody have any photos? 

The one I miss the most from my own lifetime is the Berney Arms. Happy memories of sitting on the benches outside and enjoying the landscape. 

53 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The one I miss the most from my own lifetime is the Berney Arms. Happy memories of sitting on the benches outside and enjoying the landscape. 

I suspect that many of us can relate to that memory.

I moored up there on a solo camping trip on my Drascombe when I was headed up to Hickling. By the time I had rigged my tent and made good for the night the thought of me cooking up a curry or whatever had lost it's appeal so off to the pub I went.  The beer choice was somewhat  limited but hey ho, I was hungry as well as thirsty! What a meal, although I had my reservations when the plate was put before me, half a very plain, large boiled chicken and a plate of boiled vegetables but wow, that was good! The landlord made me very welcome, and I appreciated that. I returned a few days later to find the place locked up, an upstairs window still open but no one about, it was closed. I spent a lonely night moored there, grateful for my previous welcome, sad for the landlord.

Drascombe 2013 013 - Copy.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Can't think of any other Lions in that general area.

Maybe that’s because we never found it. We walked all around that area getting thirstier and thirstier! I think from looking at the above map (where the beer glass is) and then one showing where the Toft Lion is, it’s not that one either. Must have closed down long ago. 

Bit of confusion with the Berney and the Stracey I think which is understandable. The Stracey was a good pub in the seventies, they even had live bands on. Later it became the Three Feathers as I recall and ceased to be a proper pub from then on. 

10 hours ago, SteveO said:

Anyone remember the Black Horse on the road between Hoveton and Horning. Old-fashioned place which provided the alternative name for Hoveton Little Broad. Did a fantastic rabbit pie, liver 'n' onions and steak 'n' kidney pud. Beer wasn't half bad too. Now a bijou executive housing development.

Remember it well. One of the very few pubs selling real ale on the Broads back in the old Watneys days. 

DSC_1722.JPG

2037512353_ThorpeGardens50s.thumb.jpg.32da97458d8c273cd157130a779469a7.jpg

One of the pubs I grew up in!

The Thorpe Gardens (now the Rushcutters) was one of the busiest pubs on the Broads in its day. At the end nearest the camera is a large boatshed, with a door which opened onto a slipway and was used by the Frostbite Sailing Club to store their Norfolk dinghies, before they built their own premises out on the main river on what was known as Thorpe Broad. The boatshed started life as a skittle alley and above it was a big dance hall with outside stairs leading down into the gardens. The Frostbites used the pub as their clubhouse and it was THE place to be in Norwich, on winter Sunday mornings!

The photo is in the spring of 1958 and shows a line of River Cruisers which have spent the winter on the moorings, with their gear stored ashore at Hearts Cruisers. The Cruisers, from right to left, are Forester, Snipe, Crystal, and the only two-masted Cruiser, Luna. To the left is the pleasure wherry Dragon on her permanent residential mooring. Also moored on the Green was the ex Gorleston lifeboat "Friend of all Nations".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2020 at 12:41, JennyMorgan said:

Berney Arms, no longer a pub, always enjoyed that place although not really a drinker's pub.

I remember going there and when I was buying a round of drinks I was asked if anybody on my table had a heart condition, the reply was no. A few minutes later a giant rubber spider was lowered from the rafters.  :default_icon_eek:

I enjoyed the prank but it somewhat unsettled the ladies.