Pubs We Remember

Hockham Admiral

7 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Bit of confusion with the Berney and the Stracey I think which is understandable. The Stracey was a good pub in the seventies, they even had live bands on. Later it became the Three Feathers as I recall and ceased to be a proper pub from then on. 

I think the Stracey Arms is a Sikh temple now.

• Like 1

It is indeed. It was some sort of tapas place for a while but it's never really succeeded as a pub for a long time. I guess it's heyday coincided with the Golden age of boating. I remember the long stretch of moorings being absolutely rammed. 

On 01/03/2020 at 22:43, Broads01 said:

I've learned something there as I had no idea there were pubs opposite Black Horse Broad and near St Benets. Does anybody have any photos? 

http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/Chequers.htm?LMCL=sBRvQb

http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkh/hoveton/hovetbh.htm

I remember the Black horse as it was a popular stopping point on the way back from work at RAF Neatishead. In those days it was frowned upon if you didn't go to the pub with your workmates as not showing the right RAF spirit .. By the time I left in 1988 it was frowned upon if you did go to the pub regularly...

The pub in Horning upper street was the Half Moon ( Closed 1960 the one with the Half moon round top to the front door), it's the last house on the left as you leave Horning  Upper Street towards Potter  Falgate. ( The area from the Falgate pub to around the bridges known as Potter Heigham today)

• Like 2

Don't panic Lady V :default_biggrin:

I got in next visit  :default_beerchug:

The only pub past or present (in my lifetime of course) that I haven't managed to get in to was the Bure Court which sadly burnt down just before I was due to go in. :default_crying1animated:

These are all pubs in reasonable distance. I'm not as agile as Fireman Sam of course  :default_norty:

For example I've heard the Star at Lessingham is recommended but it's a bit too far. Likewise the Cock at Cantley. Think they are more grub pubs anyway. 

• Like 2

Loaves and Fishes, how did I forget that one! A hugely popular summertime pub but regrettably not well populated during the winter. 

The Ship at Beccles, really just before my time, nevertheless I shouldn't have forgotten it. Readers of the excellent 'The Art of Coarse Sailing' by Michael Green might remember an episode concerning that pub, a policeman and a hose pipe, a story based on fact only the miscreants were, in reality, my father and friends rather than the legendary heroes of Mr Green's hilarious ramblings. 

By the way, if you haven't read that book then it's worth tracking down, E-Bay for example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=The+art+of+coarse+sailing&_sacat=0

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GreenJack

Wow what a fascinating thread to read.

I have to admit, despite enjoying a pint every now and again, I have no idea which pubs are where.

I do look forward to learning more 

47 minutes ago, troutman62 said:

. I think it burned down in the 70's.

It did. 75 I believe :default_crying1animated:

31 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

there was a pub that  had a parrot.

White Horse

The Coldham Hall parrot was there as late as 2007. I've got a photo, I'll post it later.

• Thanks 1

Closed in 1966 was the Eels Foot brew house at Barton Staithe better known as "The Hole In The Wall" as it was only licenced for off sales.

"The Trowel and Hammer" at Three Hammer Common

"The Eagle" in Irstead Road Neatishead.

If you walk round Barton Turf and Pennygate there are at least two buildings that were obviously pubs.

I would add all before my time.

• Like 2