Waveney Pegasus - The Strangest Design Ever?

5 hours ago, Paul said:

and the fact that it has a gas cooker and hob. Certain boatyards need to take notice and realise that modern BSS regs don't preclude gas onboard and that boats don't need to be all electric and have engines running to make a brew at 06:30.

They do. 
The hirers don’t. 
Leave aside the obvious safety angle modern batteries, intelligent alternator control and efficient inverters mean you don’t have to run that engine as much as you think. 
But a lack of gauge telling you this is on the boatyards. 
I plan to make my craft as energy efficient as I can and I hope to loose the gas in favour of electric. 
Not knocking anyone but when is the last time our batteries and charging system was revamped? making them more efficient. 

22 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

They do. 
The hirers don’t. 
Leave aside the obvious safety angle modern batteries, intelligent alternator control and efficient inverters mean you don’t have to run that engine as much as you think. 
But a lack of gauge telling you this is on the boatyards. 
I plan to make my craft as energy efficient as I can and I hope to loose the gas in favour of electric. 
Not knocking anyone but when is the last time our batteries and charging system was revamped? making them more efficient. 

It's an incredibly expensive thing to do. Battery power is the future, but the costs are HUUUGE! The batteries themselves can set you back the cost of a new engine and that's without putting in an engine to generate charge. 

One of my cruisers has GEL batteries and quite a sophisticated charge management system but the costs of the equipment far outweigh the relative benefits at this time and would not sustain an electric galley, for example. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Year on year batteries are getting more efficient as are solar panels , unfortunately the minerals utilised in more efficient batteries means their costs are very high , IMHO the move to electric/battery power can only be achieved when we are able to produce an efficient battery at an affordable price , new elements are still being “discovered”, the last four were officially recognised and added to the periodic table in 2016 so who knows perhaps as Trinity said “The answer is out there”

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

It's an incredibly expensive thing to do. Battery power is the future, but the costs are HUUUGE! The batteries themselves can set you back the cost of a new engine and that's without putting in an engine to generate charge. 

One of my cruisers has GEL batteries and quite a sophisticated charge management system but the costs of the equipment far outweigh the relative benefits at this time and would not sustain an electric galley, for example. 

Your not wrong but if I can use the engine only for moving the thing and live a normal life when moored regarding power used then I’m there. 
I need a separate battery bank for the fridge, heating and inverter but the cost is high but I won’t need to run that bloody engine. 

2 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Take a look at our friends with the long, thin metal boats, some have spent a fortune getting the upmost out of what is available with full electric and hybrid systems.

3 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

They do. 
The hirers don’t. 

Having been one of those hirers I can say from experience that is not the case. By the time you have moored at 5.30, cooked an evening meal on your electric galley and then spent an hour if front of Dr Who then made the horlicks there is no power left in the batteries to boil a kettle in the morning.

You've heard I'm sure the joke, "they've found something that can do the work of ten men ..... a woman". guess what, they've also found something that can do the work of thousands of pounds worth of lithium ion batteries. It's called a £40 bottle of propane. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

the real issue is not the batteries, its the power hungry appliances, if they are every to have a true solution to full electric boats, they are going to need more efficient cookers, and fridges, ok there are decent fridges out there - for a price, I have never had a battery issue with a Marthams boat, but then they have at least 3 110Ah leisure batteries, and apart from lights, the only electric is the fridge, but a cooker, these would tend to be 3kW - 13A at 240V (260A at 12V), so you can see a boat with 330Ah of battery, will run a 3kW cooker for approximately an hour and a bit (without even looking into how much useable power you can take from different types of battery), thus for a boat you would need a much lower consumption option for cooking.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Having been one of those hirers I can say from experience that is not the case. By the time you have moored at 5.30, cooked an evening meal on your electric galley and then spent an hour if front of Dr Who then made the horlicks there is no power left in the batteries to boil a kettle in the morning.

You've heard I'm sure the joke, "they've found something that can do the work of ten men ..... a woman". guess what, they've also found something that can do the work of thousands of pounds worth of lithium ion batteries. It's called a £40 bottle of propane. 

I guess what I meant is that I have a Bluetooth battery charger that tells me how the batteries are doing and Battery monitors that tells me how long each battery bank will last at current usage on each bank. So I know when I need to run engine or not to. 
And your right about the propane. Still got it and I use for cooking I was going for the angle of people running engine without the need. 

Talking of Waveney Pegasus I see tonight that a Pegasus type shell has just been delivered to Ferry Marina in Horning today - not sure were its been or where its come from but it is a bit green as if it stood outside all last winter. So if they are going to do another someone must like them although at this stage whether it will be a hardtop or a lowering one is not apparent!

On 30/07/2020 at 21:05, CambridgeCabby said:

Year on year batteries are getting more efficient as are solar panels , unfortunately the minerals utilised in more efficient batteries means their costs are very high , IMHO the move to electric/battery power can only be achieved when we are able to produce an efficient battery at an affordable price , new elements are still being “discovered”, the last four were officially recognised and added to the periodic table in 2016 so who knows perhaps as Trinity said “The answer is out there”

Solar panel tech has barely advanced in years. 

Battery tech is advancing faster but the environmental costs of battery production are still high. We have a long way to go before this technology is actually "green".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, marshman said:

Talking of Waveney Pegasus I see tonight that a Pegasus type shell has just been delivered to Ferry Marina in Horning today - not sure were its been or where its come from but it is a bit green as if it stood outside all last winter. So if they are going to do another someone must like them although at this stage whether it will be a hardtop or a lowering one is not apparent!

I imagine Ryan Mabbot moulded it some time ago. I could be wrong as as his company did the Waveney boats, it would figure. 

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I once chatted to a couple on Garnet Emblem. They said the process for lowering the roof was an awkward affair. Only one opinion of course so I'm still not sure if its a good design or not.

It's a common opinion I think. Ferry tried to sell a private version of Garnet for years and didn't manage it.

Haines took the mould, stuck a conventional canopy on and called it the Haines 26. They've sold a fair few.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldgregg said:

It's a common opinion I think. Ferry tried to sell a private version of Garnet for years and didn't manage it.

Haines took the mould, stuck a conventional canopy on and called it the Haines 26. They've sold a fair few.

I have to say that looks much better then the other two versions. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're booked on Pegasus for a week in October (as you may have read previously in the thread), probably doing myself no good looking at the reviews but it only gets 5.7/10 on the Hoseasons website... Bit worried about our stay now, having forked out nearly £900 for 2 people as we wanted to treat ourselves to a bit of luxury after the year we've had! :default_blink:

Surely batteries not charging is a fault, rather than design? I mean, you can't be expecting to plug in every time you stop on the Broads right?

1 hour ago, 750XL said:

We're booked on Pegasus for a week in October (as you may have read previously in the thread), probably doing myself no good looking at the reviews but it only gets 5.7/10 on the Hoseasons website... Bit worried about our stay now, having forked out nearly £900 for 2 people as we wanted to treat ourselves to a bit of luxury after the year we've had! :default_blink:

Surely batteries not charging is a fault, rather than design? I mean, you can't be expecting to plug in every time you stop on the Broads right?

Yes will be a fault as opposed to design fault and since the yard has been informed  (if not in person but certainly by the review) I feel confident that it would have been addressed , WRC has a very good reputation , if you have concerns phone them before you go on holiday to confirm it has been addressed .

Often people say the batteries don't charge but fail to mention they have left all the lights on , didn’t turn the inverter off (a big no no) etc etc .

you will  have a wonderful time , relax and enjoy 

Some people would rather moan on a review than raise issues to the boatyard at the time. Batteries not charging properly is a common fault but easily rectified with a call out, normally by just swapping batteries over.

One of the reviewers whinges about the windscreen wiper and a cabin light switch being in the wrong place. Well whoopdydoo.