Waveney Pegasus - The Strangest Design Ever?

I did notice that one, also the complaints of it being cold in October... and the noise of water keeping them awake....? :default_dunce:

I do suppose people are more likely to come home and write a negative review when they actually have something to say, rather than a positive review.

A bit like where few people take the time to write a positive TripAdvisor review after a good meal out, but are quick enough to leave a negative one after a bad meal.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take too much notice of reviews, they are very subjective and usually the critical one's come from people who have never been on a boat before. The water was wet, it was cold in March, it leaked (usually condensation). The batteries went flat, yes it doesn't have Mains electricity Therefore don't expect to run all the electrics and leave the lights on 24/7. Okay some are honest and if loads of reviews state the boat is a dog I would be wary but most I take with a pinch of salt. A couple of  Silver line boats have completely different reviews and scores yet they are identical boats built and refitted within a year of each other.

Neil

• Like 1

I agree, when reading reviews it pays to be a bit wary. Ignore the ratings people have posted and read the actual reviews. It’s not that difficult to separate out the ones that are based on completely unrealistic expectations and those that have a something pertinent to say.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I agree, when reading reviews it pays to be a bit wary. Ignore the ratings people have posted and read the actual reviews. It’s not that difficult to separate out the ones that are based on completely unrealistic expectations and those that have a something pertinent to say.

Just the same as film critics, I take no notice of them whatsoever. There has been a few films that have been slated by these so called experts and personally I have really enjoyed them.

That’s not the point was trying to make about boat reviews. On the whole I find them helpful, you just have to watch out for reviewers who have unrealistic expectations and those who may have behaved badly and then try to blame the staff of the boatyard. It’s not that difficult to ‘read between the lines’ and distinguish a valid review from a false one.

I tend to ignore ‘professional’ critics too, including film critics.

Just a quick question (which I know could be solved by ringing the boatyard, but I figured it might just be easier asking here given how helpful most of you are :default_biggrin: and since it's 11pm on a Saturday after a few beers...)

Ref the galley... is that a microwave, oven, or both? Neither Hoseasons nor Waveney website seem to give much specifics on the equipment on board except 'cooker, fridge and kettle'.

Girlfriends trying to plan our shopping list and meals for the week :default_eusa_dance:

image.png.af4c4ee865c304cabc59c62909fdaeac.png

Agree with CC, could even be a smart oven. Wonder if the hob is induction? The tap is just plain hot and cold water, not quooker or similar, electric kettle for a cuppa. Enjoy your holiday 750XL, if planning lots of chilled meals bring a cool box with you just in case and a big block of ice, that should keep your beers chilled for a couple of days if necessary!

There has been a few films that have been slated by these so called experts and personally I have really enjoyed them.

This generally happens to me a lot

--------------------------------

Agree with MM ref that galley - No engine/generator running = No hot food or even a cuppa.  The batteries through an inverter won't power up that lot for any decent length of time

Griff

• Like 2

I think this boat has come up in a previous thread but at the time there weren't interior photos available. Looking on Hoseasons website now I'm convinced this boat is very odd indeed. At first glance it's a conventional sedan but look closer and it's anything but. The aft deck is ridiculously narrow and with no railing doesn't look at all safe. And why would you put the galley just inside the stern doors with the sofa below amidships and not the other way around?
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/waveney-pegasus-bh2607?page=1&sortorder=4&region=23895&gateway=true&adult=2&child=0&infant=0&nights=7&range=3&pets=0&start=03-04-2021

Now that’s a very weird design. Completely agree.
  • Like 1

Would be interested in knowing what battery bank they have on that to run that lot. I have 3 x 160 AH  batteries through a master volt 2500 inverter and it doesn't like  using more than 1 item at a time so if you try to run all that in one go   I can’t see it working very well?

John

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have to say, I look at that galley with a sense of despair. No wonder people have to run their engines at silly o'clock. 

Yeah, indeed.

I like the principle of having an all-electric boat as getting rid of LPG is obviously desirable, particularly in hire. But the reality of it is that you just create a bigger problem in terms of the number of batteries and alternators needed and an absolute dependency on running the engine.

When I was in a syndicate I got really fed up having to explain to other owners about the need to look after the domestic batteries, to always use shore power when they could and to make sure they did enough running each day. I think they thought I was being melodramatic, but nonetheless we were having to replace the numerous domestic batteries every year.

• Like 2

The trouble is the punters think this looks so smart, just like their home, or what they dream their home could look like. OK a bit bigger!!! So alls well until they want to actually use it!!

I suspect that if you showed them that picture or one with a practical layout with gas,. they would choose the poncy one every time - or mostly! Who cooks anyway unless they are forced to would be the view - why are we not going to eat out every night? We are on holiday after all.

BUT - well the locals know the "but" but sadly no one tells the holidaymakers that moorings by pubs are hard to come by and not all pubs serve decent food!!!

PS I would guess its a bog standard microwave!

I know some of the Barnes Brinkcraft newer boats have this sort of all-electric arrangement. Personally, I've never bothered with electric hookup because I prefer the freedom to moor without it (although I can see the advantage in the winter). I'd be interested to know if anyone has hired a non-gas boat and whether cruising 4-5 hours per day would be enough to avoid running the engine at moorings.

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Just to say that we are consistently advised when hiring to run the engine to use the microwave ... but nothing else. That’s been with all boats old and new from a fair number of yards. 

Exactly right.  A microwave, or even a low powered hair dryer, will but significant strain on a battery, regardless of the output of the inverter.  We don’t have a microwave on Norfolk Lady, but there is a hair dryer and if we aren’t hooked up to a 240V supply, we run the engine.  I should add that even on our small boat, we have five batteries, 1 for the engine (starter), 2 on 12v electrics (lighting and fridge etc.) and two on the inverter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has hired a non-gas boat and whether cruising 4-5 hours per day would be enough to avoid running the engine at moorings.

We’ve had Brinks Sonnet a couple of times. I’m sure that’s all electric even though it’s by no means a new boat now. Never had to run the engine at moorings other than using the microwave. No issues with the heating or the hot water. We hired it in May and June. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your knowledgeable and helpful replies on this. Helps me see the 'other' side of boating that us mere hirers don't really see!

Me and the girlfriend were looking at which boat to hire for quite a while from Barnes, Richardsons, and the other budget ones on offer across the broads. Considering the year we've had so far (she works for the NHS so we've had to spend most of the COVID-19 crisis apart, then I got made redundant, twice!) we thought we'd treat ourselves to something a bit posher than the usual.... We saw Waveney Pegasus in the Hoseasons 'Starboard Collection', looked at the pics, and thought sod it, we'll have that! Only since we've looked a bit more closely maybe we're having second thoughts - but it's probably just me overthinking it all!

We certainly don't want to be having to hook up to electric (never done it before, wouldn't know where to start) and tend to prefer mudweighting or wild mooring where we can, further away from others the better! 

For the price (£900ish for a week out of season) I'm certainly hoping it's not going to be a constant battle vs the batteries for 7 days just to cook ourselves a simple dinner :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/waveney-pegasus-bh2607

Don't ask me how but a few pints of beer and takeaway last night obviously aided my investigative skills at 2am, and I found out it's actually a microwave-oven

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/zsc25259xa/zanussi-zsc25259xa-built-in-inclusive-frame-microwave-oven

I'll be writing a thorough in depth boat review/report after we've been so fingers crossed all goes well :default_icon_mrgreen:

• Like 2

I’m sure you’ll be fine. We treated ourselves to Zircon Emblem last year which is similar to other boats WRC have for hire, and didn’t regret it. With 3 to 4 hours cruising per day you should be fine, batteries well charged up. And it’s easy to cruise for that number of hours on the southern rivers. The yard will show you how the electric hookup works on handover. You need £1 cards which they probably sell and it’s very straightforward. But you don’t have to use it and not all moorings have it. You certainly don’t want to be running your week around finding it. 

I’m sure you deserve the treat and it will be fine.