More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

but that doesnt follow, since the vaccine wont stop you catching it, then you can still be spreading it, whilst feeling well and on top of the world, thus it follows that those in the highest risk brackets such as the elderly are given the vaccine first, then those in the nhs, to keep them working, and then those who care for the old and vulnerable, reduce the risk of  complications for the vulnerable first.

vaccines are to give your body a taster of he virus to work on and start producing the antibodies to fight the virus, so that when you do catch it your body has a better chance to combat it, a vaccine doesnt stop you spreading it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I've heard of a senior NHS worker who works from home getting the jab, and her husband who is over 50 but doesn't qualify. I've also heard of builders working in a hospital getting the jab, which I agree with.

I'm surprised no-one has commented about the order of vaccine priority. At the risk of making myself extremely unpopular, here's my go:

NHS & care workers - Teachers, police, firefighters etc. - Essential retail staff - Anyone unable to work from home - Students - the rest of those employed - as you were. I've probably missed out a group or two but that's generally the idea.

That's my attempt at prioritising those who at most risk of actually spreading the virus. It puts me and probably most of you at the bottom of the list I know, but maybe we should put self interest aside for a while.

Until you realise that the vaccine doesn't prevent you spreading the virus, it protects those who have the vaccine from developing serious illness or dying, then you need to protect those most at risk, however they catch it. That means targeting those that have been shown to be most likely to die if they catch it. 

A healthy young vaccinated teacher may catch the virus and probably wouldn't have got seriously ill anyway, but can still take it home to their parents, or grandparents who may well die from it.

• Like 1

The primary objective of the jab is to reduce the risk of hospitalisation and subsequent death - its not to give it to those who, were they to get it, it would probably have less impact, or possibly none at all!

Your "new" prioritisation would have little impact on lowering the death rate and it is that which is being targeted. Using that prioritisation the death rate would probably double or more - not sure thats the aim!!! There is a table somewhere I have seen, showing just how vulnerable the elderly are to hospitalisation and death relative to those, say, under 60. The graph for being hospitalised and/or death after that rises exponentially - and no I cannot find it at the moment! Its hidden away in the stats from the CDC. The graph showed not just a doubling but something like a 60 fold rise for those, say, over 75 .

I guess the main message is that those who are lucky enough to have the vaccination are more likely to be protected and survive if they catch the virus, but they still need to play their part in taking all the usual precautions to ensure they do not spread it to those who have not received the vaccination yet.

The good thing is that the ones currently receiving the vaccination are more than likely the groups who will keep on taking precautions. If the vaccination had started with the younger groups first they more than others may have seen that as their passport to continue normal life straight away. 

• Like 3

My wife is a ANP in a doctors surgery, she has volunteered and already done several shifts in two vaccination centres in the Bromley area.

She has now had both her vaccinations, as has a couple of nurses that also work in these centres including a partner of one of the nurses 

Now this isn't perks of the job, apparently the Pfizer jab comes in vials with 6 doses in each, once opened it has to be used within minutes or thrown away

At the end of one of her clinics, due to people not having turned up a vial was opened with 4 doses remaining, so three nurses had a bonus of the second jab, plus one nurses partner who live very close to the vaccination centre got a jab, rather than just throw it away

Alas, we live 45 minutes away from these centres so there's no way I could get there in time to get one

Hopefully rather than throw away a perfectly good vaccine someone local will benefit

• Like 1

The wife and three of her colleagues had their jabs on Thursday. All had the phizer jab and all 4 are now of sick from work with side effects. There are other staff members across the Trust reporting simular symptoms. Personally I believe this is down to them all being so physically run down then a problem with the vaccine. All 4 are reporting exactly the same symptoms and are being monitored by the hospital. 

• Sad 2

Mandy was fine after her first dose, but felt a bit ‘rough’ after her second for a few hours

A day later she was as ‘normal’ as anyone married to me for 35 years could hope for!  😉

When offered, please get the vaccine!

• Like 5

My mother (90 in March) had her first  Phizer jab on the first day GP’s offered it in December and second on 5th January ( our gp’s refused to cancel already booked appointments ) and has had no after effects at all, not even a bruise or sore arm.

I can’t tell you what a relief it is that she’s had it.

I agree with Tim, when offered the jab please take it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm quite a way down the pecking order yet but I'll be there like a shot if I get the call. There's beer to be drunk! :default_beerchug:

That’ll be my motivation, I like a beer at home, but it’s not a patch on  real ale with real friends in a real pub!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tim said:

That’ll be my motivation, I like a beer at home, but it’s not a patch on  real ale with real friends in a real pub!

Couldn't agree more. I don't like drinking at home at all. Don't drink on a boat either. For me, the place to drink is in a pub. I hope they haven't all gone bust by the time I'm out! Lost time to make up! :default_biggrin:  :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

I'd be a little wary of looking at third party calculators such as the above for guidance. For some time it was out of date, as you say now being updated from 1 million per week to 2 million per week, which might still be an underestimate. Additionally as we have already seen roll out rates are varying across the country and the Government is already having discussions about changing the priority groups for vaccinations in phase 2 which comes after the first 9 groups in phase 1 has been completed.

Nice little bit of PR for Omni, but all the information on groups and order of roll outs are available on official Government websites. I know which group I'm in and therefore a rough timescale, but I'll know its happening once I get that letter, call or text.