More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

Lucky you can get a jab here in Norfolk. Heard nothing since I got a letter nearly 3 weeks ago,  saying that I would be getting a letter!!!!!!!

I had a similar letter about the same time. I also received a letter last week requesting that I make contact by phone to make a booking in Norwich at the Mall. This i have made for Wednesday of the coming week and has been confirmed.

Yesterday I received a text from Brundall Health Centre inviting me to make contact with the Hoveton vaccination Centre in order to make an appointment.

I think that I would be inclined to wait two or three days and if nothing heard make a few enquiries.

Andrew

Apparently special needs school teachers and assistants are now eligible so my wife is booked into Warwick Hospital for her 1st jab next Sunday.  2nd jab is on 11th April but we were planning on being on the boat from the 10th !  

Oh well, holiday probably won't happen anyway and if we get lucky and it does we'll just start a day later.

My wife and I both had our Pfizer jabs at our local surgery on Wednesday, very easy booking having had a text message with a link to the booking page.  Well organised when we got there and no reactions at all apart from a slightly sore arm.

• Like 1

After reading various reports of  elderly people being sent to clinics great distances from their homes to get their jabs, I rang  our GP to  see if they knew where we would have to go when we are offered ours. Apparently it's going to be in the cottage hospital in the next village luckily. Met some neighbours yesterday while out for our morning walk who had just returned from getting theirs and it's  a very streamlined  trouble free procedure apparently. We haven't been offered one yet but we have heard that here in east Anglia the supply is rather slower than in other areas and neither of us is 80 yet so expect it may be a while before we hear.

Carole

Whilst I am delighted that some people in some professions are now getting their injections, I now see that teachers unions are pressing for all teachers to be vaccinated before mid Feb, we seem to have lost sight of the objectives!!

The objective way back in December was to vaccinate first all those who have a greatly increased risk of dying if they catch covid - if for example you are over 75 the risk of you needing hospitalisation and actually dying increases exponentially over that age. Of course those working in nursing homes and hospitals where they come into daily contact with those who actually have it should get it, NOT those who might have the possibility of catching it (i.e. everyone !) but with even binmen pleading a special case, I am now more concerned that more and more people outside the original "list" are now being pushed forward, and in many cases, receiving the injection -  whilst those in "no mans land" are being overlooked.

And no, I don't wish to phone the surgery to waste their time - should there be a need to do that or is the organisation quite literally unable to cope properly?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

And no, I don't wish to phone the surgery to waste their time - should there be a need to do that or is the organisation quite literally unable to cope properly?

Good question and maybe a reminder is needed that we have all been asked not to phone up with enquiries about the jab, unless of course you have been asked to, because it jams the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My 96 MIL is still waiting as she needs a community visit, hopefully she should be done next week.

yes my parents had to decline the pfizer jab as they couldnt travel to get it, they have been told that they will have to wait for supplies of the oxford vaccine to arrive as that can be taken to the patient, whereas the pfizer one has rather specific storage that stops them taking it to the patient.

• Like 1

Following my earlier post Tony received an invitation by text about an hour ago to make an appointment on line to have his jab which he got me to do for him. It's next Friday that being the earliest on offer. If I haven't  received my appointrment by then I'll go with him and see if they'll do  mine too while we're both there. Which would be very convenient. You can but ask.

Carole

It is disturbing when you read of some of the people getting apparently bumped up the list. Makes you wonder where the control is. Of course most people are not going to turn it down if offered but it does make you wonder how long some of us very ordinary folk might be left waiting. 

• Like 1

Jean - I think you have hit the nail on the head! There is no real control!! 

From their own figures I calculated there were 6.1 m people with precedence over my group and that figure has now been surpassed (6.4m inc today ) and yet my surgery has  not been in contact other than to tell me I will get a letter - I await the plop on the doormat but it seems something is slipping a bit!!! Perhaps tomorrow -  because by current vaccination rates they will have finished my group by Wednesday!!!!

Still I am sure there are more deserving cases who can slip ahead of me.....!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Mark - do you mean BEFORE the priority groups?????

My SIL is being grouped in with health care workers, along with Funeral directors because of the increased risk in dealing with the deceased, of which there are many.

They are dealing with double the number of cremations they would normally deal with even at a normal peak.

It is all hands on deck, the cremators are running 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. The chapel has to be cleaned between each service.

It was considered essential to protect the end of life care staff as the last thing PHE want is this service being out of action for 2 weeks at a time and the resulting delays to funerals, there is already a 4 week delay in this area.

They are being vaccinated at the dedicated NHS hub as the majority of frontline NHS staff have been vaccinated.

Given that we have vaccinated so many, so fast, I suspect there is a plan to increase numbers to cope with second jabs as well as extending access to lower groups.

Once most at risk groups are treated it will make little difference to what we can do regardless of levels of protection until lockdown is eased.

If I was jabbed in January I still can't go to my boat until the rest of you can, I am not in a rush until those deemed to be at greater risk are protected.

Expect the numbers treated to increase greatly as more large and local units are opened up.

I'm not at all surprised to hear about stories of people jumping the queue and I wonder how many are true, given the modern hunger for rumour spreading via social media. 

They are vaccinating people so quickly that it hardly matters, given the present level of lockdown; we'll probably all be done by the time we're allowed out again.

And now the news seems to be softening us up for the possibility that the vaccines don't do much at all. They don't seem able to say clearly the level of protection given.