More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

I don't want to see other groups jumping the queue, otherwise wher does it finish - teachers, emergency services, supermarket staff, electric, gas, water workers etc. Statistics show that age is the predominant factor in deaths.

Well I was trying to be positive earlier but...

It looks like there may well be the same argument going on outside of this forum which looks at the situation from a different angle; it seems that someone may have read my post from the other day suggesting a different priority order for the vaccines.

Yes, they say age is predominant, over 50's. But there a lot of over 50's still in work within those groups quoted who may have a different point of view. They may point out the people who are well in to their old age and have survived Covid, and "youngsters" who haven't. I was working as a supermarket driver until I was 58 and I was not the oldest. I can almost hear the conversation around the tables in the canteen and it would be quite heated. I'll hold back any suggestion of the details of what may be said, but it would be upsetting on this forum. Mind you, most lorry driver's conversations would be upsetting on this forum! :default_norty:

Apart from age, are there stats regarding smokers or others who have disregarded their health for years?

Perspective needed. Stay safe and hang on, we'll get there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

told to go into properties where they do not feel safe to do so but the boss doesn`t give two hoots.

Not true to all!! My daughter-in-law is the manager of a very large

plumber/electrician/building maintenance company and many of

her staff don't want to go in to some house which she is contracted

to do. She has many mental problems now for having to send

them into those places and has many sleepless nights and also tears!

She's between a rock and a hard place through trying to help people

and also trying to keep her employees safe. She can't win whatever she does!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Not true to all!! My daughter-in-law is the manager of a very large

plumber/electrician/building maintenance company and many of

her staff don't want to go in to some house which she is contracted

to do. She has many mental problems now for having to send

them into those places and has many sleepless nights and also tears!

She's between a rock and a hard place through trying to help people

and also trying to keep her employees safe. She can't win whatever she does!!

I`ve given it a like for showing the view of some managers

However hundreds of engineers do not feel the love!!!

In a strange twist my twin brother was at the doctors for a blood pressure problem and the doctor said we need to book your jab as you are in group two. Brother says, I am 61 with no listed health issues. Dr say, your records show you were diagnosed with closed spina bifida when you were 12, now this is news to him and is obviously wrong.

He has to have the jab now because if he declines he will not get called when our group are eligible as he will be listed as a refusal.

It has taken nearly 50 years and a pandemic to find a wrong entry on his medical history. 

Being a caring sort of brother I have a number of new names to call him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, floydraser said:

Apart from age, are there stats regarding smokers or others who have disregarded their health for years?

Very early on, around last April, I remember reading a study that had found a link between smoking and an increased resistance to COVID. Seems smoking destroyed a certain receptor that the coronavirus uses to attack. I'm not sure on the validity of it now, but there was certainly a degree of ironic humour to it.

• Like 1

I heard today that of those that died last week of Covid in a local hospital a noticeable number were all born in 1946 :default_blink:, oh dear, ominous or what?

All of my four daughters have now had their jabs. As one put it, not something to look forward to but she's glad that she's had it. My wife and I are now both booked in, exciting or what!

• Like 5

Tony had his jab yesterday afternoon. he had the Pfizer which he was pleased about as that was the one he was hoping for having read up on the various types on offer. Up to now the only effect he has felt is a slight soreness in the area of the actual injection, which he always gets anyway when he has his usual flu jab. I'm having mine tomorrow afternoon.

Carole

• Like 2

Just had my jab. Highly organised procedure.  I must say  I felt  a lot more comfortable than the last time I  was there.  You have to  sit for 15mins after the jab to make sure you have no reaction. The waiting room was the same room I had to  go for physio' after I had just had a hip replacement!

Carole

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, addicted said:

Just had my jab. Highly organised procedure.  I must say  I felt  a lot more comfortable than the last time I  was there.  You have to  sit for 15mins after the jab to make sure you have no reaction. The waiting room was the same room I had to  go for physio' after I had just had a hip replacement!

Carole

Well done.   Great feeling isnt it.

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2021 at 17:36, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Couldn`t agree more, lots of talk amongst plumbers and gas guys about being told to go into properties where they do not feel safe to do so but the boss doesn`t give two hoots.

I know what you mean.   Our plumber came to fix a problem last week and we and he wore a mask all of the time.    I had every window open in the house to make him feel safe.  I kept wiping the handles of the doors and anything that he touched.       He said he wished that all of the places he had to go to were as careful.       There also still seems to be an element that have not grasped the 2m rule.    They,   if you are not on the ball,   try to get right up close to you.   One of our neighbours does this .      We are constantly backing away if we come across him on our walk.

• Like 2

My son is a surveyor, he has full PPE delivered each week, masks, gloves sanitizer, shoe covers and plastic aprons. The owners have to be outside or at least 3m away and all doors open, including cupboards.

Anyone who fails to comply doesn’t have a survey carried out and they then can't sell their house, funny how they have all managed to comply when it benefits them. It helps that he is 6' 6" and doesn't take any nonsense. :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

We have a friend whose son  runs a company that does a lot of work for various police forces and she was telling me today that last week he had to visit 3 different police stations in Cambridgeshire and in each one not a single officer was wering a face mask. He was outraged.

Carole

Had my first jab today too. I'm 67, with no background conditions, so you can see, they're getting through the age groups fast up here in Leeds. I was given the Pfizer vaccine, and in contrast to what's been reported, I was told I would be invited back for the second jab, in three weeks time........ and Leeds United won this afternoon too.:default_icon_bowdown: Result! 

• Like 2

Just a reminder.

Even if you have had the jab, you are not protected for 3 weeks and after that you can still spread it to others.

Today 2 weeks after being Pfizerred I had to go to our local Lidl (18 miles) for a slide/negative scanner, which works well,

and food. The conditions in the shop nearly had me walking out!!!

I had not realised the social distancing gap had been reduced to 2mm.

2 weeks in I do not wish to risk anything.

My attitude at he moment is to treat everyone like that pub bore, who cleared the pub at a 1,000 paces, or maybe that was me.

Jabbing is just one step towards, hopefully something better than the old normal and people treat others with more respect.

Stay safe, stay warm, stay hopeful.

paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Had my first jab today too. I'm 67, with no background conditions, so you can see, they're getting through the age groups fast up here in Leeds

Of course you have to go if invited but there seems to be a lot of disparity around the country.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 17:36, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Couldn`t agree more, lots of talk amongst plumbers and gas guys about being told to go into properties where they do not feel safe to do so but the boss doesn`t give two hoots.

In the last two weeks I have had clients who were a plumber, a plasterer and a driving instructor. All 3 of them in their early 60's, and had been working during this lockdown. None of them had any known health issues apart from this dreadful COVID. For those who don't know, I am in the funeral business.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

Just a reminder.

Even if you have had the jab, you are not protected for 3 weeks and after that you can still spread it to others.

Today 2 weeks after being Pfizerred I had to go to our local Lidl (18 miles) for a slide/negative scanner, which works well,

and food. The conditions in the shop nearly had me walking out!!!

I had not realised the social distancing gap had been reduced to 2mm.

2 weeks in I do not wish to risk anything.

My attitude at he moment is to treat everyone like that pub bore, who cleared the pub at a 1,000 paces, or maybe that was me.

Jabbing is just one step towards, hopefully something better than the old normal and people treat others with more respect.

Stay safe, stay warm, stay hopeful.

paul

Same here, I wait in the car while Mrs R does the shopping (her choice, I would get it all wrong wouldn't I?), watching couples going in to shop together. At least they are now enforcing the mask rule, even to their own staff behind screens.

Lifted from the British Medical Journal:

The covid-19 pandemic is taking a harsh toll on healthcare workers. In the Mirror newspaper on 20 January 2021: “52,000 NHS staff are off sick with covid.” [1] Over 850 UK healthcare workers are thought to have died of covid between March and December 2020; at least 3000 have died in the US. [2-3]