More Covid Restrictions Announced.

Andrewcook

Hmmm ... I struggle to understand why  the situation you describe in your second story Liz would warrant being on a list to be called in. There are many workers still in front of the public full time. I agree that we don’t want vaccines wasted but that also means a second dose going to that person as well. It does sound like queue jumping to me. Or maybe I’m not fully understanding this one. 

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry thats nonsense I live in London with no immediate Green space but I can still get all the exercise I need within  a 1/4 of a mile of my front door quite safely as do most of my neighbours 

Fre

I've just been out for my one exercise today. 6.15 miles of walking. Doing 6.15 miles around streets with cars turning in and out of turnings. Other pedestrians out and about walking their dogs on relatively narrow pavements, having to keep crossing the road to avoid other people actually becomes more stressful. There is a green space at the bottom of my turning and to do 6.15 miles would probably involve about 50 laps of the green. I drove to a country park a few miles away in isolation in my car. Parked the car and went for a good walk with plenty of uplifting views and passed very few people and the few that were there had much more space to pass by without getting too close. It also has some hills and gradients all of which are good cardio. I had to touch three gates and sanitised immediately after each one.

I could have stayed at home, I could have walked from home, instead I took a short drive and walked in a far safer and more deserted place. I put no one at risk and didn't place myself at risk I was at far less risk than going to a supermarket, which I'm allowed to do once a day, but currently have got down to about once every nine days. No rules were bent and no laws broken.

A very cold morning, but a good day to be out and about.

20210109_124017.thumb.jpg.427916db9781eff5eda7baa58b6ba4ec.jpg20210109_124024.thumb.jpg.3118ac8c9cae53cf26a6356a0e0c0197.jpg20210109_133132.thumb.jpg.d018ab79b376e56918a434a34ced1528.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Hmmm ... I struggle to understand why  the situation you describe in your second story Liz would warrant being on a list to be called in. There are many workers still in front of the public full time. I agree that we don’t want vaccines wasted but that also means a second dose going to that person as well. It does sound like queue jumping to me. Or maybe I’m not fully understanding this one. 

An optometrist spends up to 40 minutes in the face of a patient x 6 each day. They could be a risk to the patient and vice-versa.  Optometrists in hospitals have been given the vaccine.

The doctors surgery had x number of vaccines to give to x number of patients.  Then either someone didn't turn up or was ill so they had one spare.  I consider it a very good use of a single dose that because of the life span of this particular vaccine couldn't be left for another day.  Maybe we won't get the second vaccine, who knows

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

My wife is a teaching assistant at a special needs school which is fully open, they are short staffed so my wife is floating between several classes.  PPE is virtually impossible as some of these kids go into meltdown if they see someone in a mask and their idea of bubbles is to blow them, not stay in them.  They have no idea what social distancing is and some are in nappies, some spit, some kick etc, etc.  I would class this as high risk but she's gets no priority whatsoever.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NeilB said:

My wife is a teaching assistant at a special needs school which is fully open, they are short staffed so my wife is floating between several classes.  PPE is virtually impossible as some of these kids go into meltdown if they see someone in a mask and their idea of bubbles is to blow them, not stay in them.  They have no idea what social distancing is and some are in nappies, some spit, some kick etc, etc.  I would class this as high risk but she's gets no priority whatsoever.  

Perhaps they should speak to their local doctors and see whether they could be accommodated in a similar system?

11 minutes ago, LizG said:

An optometrist spends up to 40 minutes in the face of a patient x 6 each day. They could be a risk to the patient and vice-versa.  Optometrists in hospitals have been given the vaccine.

I can understand the optometrist but not everyone who works there. 

22 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I could have stayed at home, I could have walked from home, instead I took a short drive and walked in a far safer and more deserted place. I put no one at risk and didn't place myself at risk I was at far less risk than going to a supermarket, which I'm allowed to do once a day, but currently have got down to about once every nine days. No rules were bent and no laws broken.

But it’s debatable whether that is in the spirit of stay at home and stay local. There is a risk if you had broken down or had an accident and needed help. 

Beautiful photos and lovely scenery though. I can understand the temptation!

Guest Jayfire
6 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Me too, its such a gorgeous day to be running, yet I'm not allowed out :default_crying1animated:

16 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I can understand the optometrist but not everyone who works there. 

That's why I'm not near the top of the list.  By the time no 14 comes, I may well qualify by age in the national scheme of things!  None of us can afford to get infected as we could risk infecting our patients some of whom are very elderly.  You could argue they shouldn't come in but some don't want to go blind either.  We are only seeing emergencies, urgent care and those at risk of developing an eye condition at present.  As well as those that haven't been seen at the hospital for their regular checks........

Hence why as of this week we will be taking lateral flow tests twice a week.

13 minutes ago, SwanR said:

But it’s debatable whether that is in the spirit of stay at home and stay local. There is a risk if you had broken down or had an accident and needed help. 

And that is where I did my own risk assessment and decided that to walk for 6 miles around my local neighbourhood would involve crossing endless amounts of roads and endless road junctions with car turning in and out of roads etc. Each one carrying a small element of risk of being knocked over. People out jogging running past too close for my comfort, other people out walking local to them again walking too close etc. etc.

Most of my work can be done at home, some of it cannot be. Some jobs I have turned down recently even though I am legally allowed to go and do them because to me the risk is not worth it. I can legally go shopping once per day, but have made some changes and got it down to about once every 9 days. The walk I did today is far safer than exercising locally, far safer than going to a supermarket, or some of the jobs I have turned down recently.

54 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I've just been out for my one exercise today. 6.15 miles of walking. Doing 6.15 miles around streets with cars turning in and out of turnings. Other pedestrians out and about walking their dogs on relatively narrow pavements, having to keep crossing the road to avoid other people actually becomes more stressful. There is a green space at the bottom of my turning and to do 6.15 miles would probably involve about 50 laps of the green. I drove to a country park a few miles away in isolation in my car. Parked the car and went for a good walk with plenty of uplifting views and passed very few people and the few that were there had much more space to pass by without getting too close. It also has some hills and gradients all of which are good cardio. I had to touch three gates and sanitised immediately after each one.

20210109_124017.thumb.jpg.427916db9781eff5eda7baa58b6ba4ec.jpg20210109_124024.thumb.jpg.3118ac8c9cae53cf26a6356a0e0c0197.jpg20210109_133132.thumb.jpg.d018ab79b376e56918a434a34ced1528.jpg

As they say each to their own and what they regard as essential exercise and behaving responsibly in the current climate, at my age  maybe my needs are not as great as some and outdoor exercise is supplemented with indoor activity😉 what I would add is that while my generation in general seem to be prepared  willingly to moderate their behaviour the most we do it with the least amount of time left to enjoy what we have worked for.

Fred

today i did some shopping for an elderly person (my ex mil) whilst also doing my shopping. as i had had to use a jump battery to start the car first thing when i did the 5 mile drive to deliver it, once on the m2 i drove down to dover, round the roundabout and back to deliver the shopping, this gave the car a better charge in the hope it will start ok next weekend, necessary in a way to keep the battery charged, anyway battery charged, and shopping delivered.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

How many are we up to now?

"Look at me everybody!"

What else does this contribute to the debate?

9 minutes ago, floydraser said:

How many are we up to now?

"Look at me everybody!"

What else does this contribute to the debate?

It provides some balance to the lockdown frenzy on this forum. What I did today was not illegal. It was done with good judgement and with the aim of minimising risk, when compared to other areas I could have walked more locally. 

If I read Grendel's post above yours correctly, he drove further than he needed to as a part of providing help to someone in need to better recharge his car battery. Could that have been achieved another way? arguably he could have used a battery charger. I liked his post because he made his risk assessment, decided he was at little risk to himself and others by driving slightly further, combined with another mission and completed the trip.

I've said it before, it is not the likes of me walking 6 miles in a country park alone that is spreading the virus or the problem. Today I have seen three of my neighbours who I'm not going to dob in have visitors who are plainly not part of their household, or support bubbles. Whilst driving to the country park I passed a group of five middle aged ladies walking and chatting together, plainly they are not from the same household. They are the ones who are having unnecessary face to face contact with people indoors and outdoors who are spreading the virus. 

I guess the bottom line is some on this forum, and even those who are strong proponents of the stay at home regardless message have lent on the rules when it suited them. However I also guess a very high majority of the people on this forum are also sensible enough to make their own judgement calls and carry out whatever it is they do decide to do in as safe a manner as possible. I doubt if there are any of the people on this forum who are blatantly ignoring or breaking the laws. We just all have slightly different opinions on the best way of staying and keeping safe.

15 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I guess the bottom line is some on this forum, and even those who are strong proponents of the stay at home regardless message have lent on the rules when it suited them. However I also guess a very high majority of the people on this forum are also sensible enough to make their own judgement calls and carry out whatever it is they do decide to do in as safe a manner as possible. I doubt if there are any of the people on this forum who are blatantly ignoring or breaking the laws. We just all have slightly different opinions on the best way of staying and keeping safe.

I also wonder if the "high majority" on this forum have as much spare time to spend dissecting every nuance of the detail of the thing.

I am quite happy playing trains in my garage.

Please do not assume that your opinion - freely and often expressed at length - is that of the high majority of this forum.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Meantime said:

It provides some balance to the lockdown frenzy on this forum. What I did today was not illegal. It was done with good judgement and with the aim of minimising risk, when compared to other areas I could have walked more locally. 

If I read Grendel's post above yours correctly, he drove further than he needed to as a part of providing help to someone in need to better recharge his car battery. Could that have been achieved another way? arguably he could have used a battery charger. I liked his post because he made his risk assessment, decided he was at little risk to himself and others by driving slightly further, combined with another mission and completed the trip.

I've said it before, it is not the likes of me walking 6 miles in a country park alone that is spreading the virus or the problem. Today I have seen three of my neighbours who I'm not going to dob in have visitors who are plainly not part of their household, or support bubbles. Whilst driving to the country park I passed a group of five middle aged ladies walking and chatting together, plainly they are not from the same household. They are the ones who are having unnecessary face to face contact with people indoors and outdoors who are spreading the virus. 

It provides no balance due to the amount of times someone posts these "Look what I did" posts. It's been done before and would be better left un posted.

If you think there is a "frenzy" on the forum you may well look at the amount of posts you yourself have made.

• Like 4

due to where my house is situated in relation to the road, i would have to remove the battery from the vehicle to charge it, which would then mean leaving the car unlocked while the battery charged, the alternative of running a 50m extension to the car would leave a trip hazard on two footpaths and across a neighbours entrance way. thus the option of running the car a few miles further was by far the best / easiest one. my ex mother in law received her first vaccine jab yesterday, so prefers to stay indoors for the next few weeks until the vaccine becomes effective so the fresh food run was an essential part of that plan. since my ex - her daughter has moved to spain, this has left me as her only support, thus i am acting as the support in 2 bubbles, once a month each spacing visits 2 weeks apart between bubbles, which is about the best i can practically achieve to keep both my parents and ex mil safe, but supported, the car is the other essential link in the support chain.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

If you think there is a "frenzy" on the forum you may well look at the amount of posts you yourself have made.

There are other forums which are very quiet because people don't post. Maybe that's the way to go then!. Although I note that I'm not even in the top four posters on this thread! I shall perhaps try and limit my number of posts over the next few days. It would be a very boring place if we all shared the same view, in fact there'd be no need to debate anything, or even have forums. 

10 minutes ago, Meantime said:

There are other forums which are very quiet because people don't post. Maybe that's the way to go then!. Although I note that I'm not even in the top four posters on this thread! I shall perhaps try and limit my number of posts over the next few days. It would be a very boring place if we all shared the same view, in fact there'd be no need to debate anything, or even have forums. 

I am afraid social media in all its forms has done little to help in the current situation one reason I have tried to restrict my involvement, all I can add is if anyone feels the need to justify their actions they must believe there is a reason that  they need to, myself and I am sure many others are happy in the knowledge of accepting the spirit of the basic request in the interest of the public good, my own loss is nothing compared to the sacrifices many worthy people have made.

Fred

• Like 5

For Your Gods Sake.

This thing is killing people, hopefully not yours!

Stop trying to find ways round the rules and try to find ways YOU can help to improve survival rates for ALL.

So you can kill a fish but not sail to do so, so  you can exercise, so you can do lots of things, BUT should you do so? Think of others that may suffer dire after effects for your selfish thoughts of freedoms, that maybe lawful, but not moral in current times.

Let's work together to build a better future, where all our loved ones can be with us.

Sorry for the rant, at the free for all at any expense individuals.

paul

• Like 15

You've hit the nail on the head Paul.So many have tried  to justify there actions.I will be the first to admit I'm  not perfect, but now is the time to step up.Cut the BS our actions  can save lives.So what if you cant fish,go to the boat,have a party.Lets bite the bullet we are that close  to winning this,let's not let this  slip.What do I know,I've had perhaps the worst six months  of my life.I'm lucky I've survived Cancer. I wont say sorry,why should  I .Just let's knock this on the head

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

There are other forums which are very quiet because people don't post. Maybe that's the way to go then!. 

Couldn't agree more. They will be forums populated by folks who either don't feel the need to express themselves and have learned when it's best not to say anything.

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

I shall perhaps try and limit my number of posts over the next few days. 

Please try.