Trip Cancelled Due To Local Lockdown

Broads01

Next Monday 5th October I was due to begin a week aboard Waveney Pisces from Waveney River Centre. Unfortunately, however, living in South Wales means I'm in a local lockdown area. The Welsh local lockdowns are stricter than the English ones in that you're not allowed to leave the lockdown area "without reasonable excuse" and therefore I'm not allowed to go on holiday. For a while, I considered defying the rules and going anyway but for various reasons I can't go in to, thought better of it. This is the second time the same hire has been affected as it was originally booked for last April. 

I feel utterly frustrated and completely done over, if I'm honest. WRC kindly offered me the option of shifting the dates once again but it would have meant waiting until next year which I couldn't face doing, especially as I have 3 trips booked for next year already. I opted, therefore to cancel and claim on my annual travel insurance (policy taken out pre-covid so it should pay out hopefully). I'm trying to console myself with hire options still being available in November if restrictions permit and indeed Ferry Marina are hiring all year round (they confirmed on the phone today, as long as you have experience and stay north of Stokesby). I keep telling myself also that so many people are worse off than me and I must take heart from the fabulous holiday I had in August. 

• Sad 10

That's awful timing. I know what it's like too, having had to miss my May and June weeks on Goosander. I'm pretty sure Hoseasons would refund in your situation, so if you do have trouble with the insurer, I would approach the boatyard (assuming you booked direct), as I would guess they would have the same Covid conditions.

Ouch! Such a shame. I do feel for you. I think the ability to travel outside a lockdown area is something that’s not been made very clear in England. I’m sure it’s probably there in the guidelines but looking in from the outside, so to speak, I wasn’t sure whether it’s allowed. 

My annual September walking break booked this time last year was an off/on affair but did go ahead last week. I stopped at Leigh Delamere and then drove straight through to St Davids without Stopping. 

The weather was mostly beautiful and Pembrokeshire at her best.

1925900801_20200920_1040522.thumb.jpg.314cbb43bf7a8c96fb563ecefdbd907b.jpg

20200920_110413.thumb.jpg.18f48acde8aa0350c946aa642f3464eb.jpg

20200921_104946.thumb.jpg.b3c236091ad0bf38f9e1c6d1fad0512c.jpg

20200925_115715_001.thumb.jpg.9f5cad2ffbd53db3170c8e1a12e6215b.jpg

I am at present not planning anything for next year.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

That's awful timing. I know what it's like too, having had to miss my May and June weeks on Goosander. I'm pretty sure Hoseasons would refund in your situation, so if you do have trouble with the insurer, I would approach the boatyard (assuming you booked direct), as I would guess they would have the same Covid conditions.

I booked direct, David. WRC have advised they can only refund 10% and I need to reclaim the remainder from my insurer. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Nonsense sentence?

i can easily manage a full nonsense post and often do!

Griff 

Oh me too :default_biggrin:  x

I so feel for you Simon, I really do. So frustrating, I know people are falling ill and dying everyday from this dreadful virus but it doesn't help when you see people blatantly flouting the rules and denying good people like yourself a well earned holiday 

You take care and stay safe x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I booked direct, David. WRC have advised they can only refund 10% and I need to reclaim the remainder from my insurer. 

So they can let that boat out for the same price (gain) sell matches at 4 x their price (gain) no wonder they are doing well. Good to hear you have insurance,    we have 15 months of insurance to hopefully cover this awful time.     I do feel for you as have had holidays cancelled time and time again.     Roll on New Years Eve and we will all drink a toast to a happy healthy new year.

• Like 3

Just watchit news on the forumbocker about trageymost stoppage of Broads01 holidale and peeploders stoppage in Wales withoutymost good reasole, oh yes! Timbo is stuckly indoors also, too sickly for endage of shieldage and travelode to boatly. Nevermile, wishing you deep joy and all be over by Chrimbole and hope you have good suppile of tiltyelbow while watchy telebockers. Timbo has no telebockers but listen musee all trickley-how on waxley cylindrol, ten inchie bakerlite diskers and forty-fido seven inchers. Musee from Mozarker and Beethovel to Laydle Gaga and the Chemicold Brotheys all good stuffly but deep joy footiebole back on radioloppers!

35 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Nonsense sentence?

i can easily manage a full nonsense post and often do!

Griff 

Interety to hearl buttonloder avail for correcty nonsensical sentiles? Deep joy, Timbo not needle such digitale correcty of wordage. Keep spirit lifty Broadage01, Timbo now off for walkage of beagles with the headpholes stuffit in the eardrobes for joyfold listenit.  Ledly Zeppelers today, I think. Deep joy!

• Haha 3

Sorry to hear, Simon.  One hopes that they either find a vaccine, or that it mutates into something less aggressive so we can get on with life.

What with the virus, Brexit and bl**dy Christmas, I dare not even turn the TV on now for fear of hearing about them!!

I hope you get your three planned breaks next year - perhaps we might even bump into you at some point (metaphorically speaking, of course) and have a chat!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I guess they would if they can get away with it. The truth is your boat went back on sale yesterday and was resold yesterday too. I noticed it come on and put it on my cancellations page. it did resell (though sadly not from my page haha). 
If you had booked it through Hoseasons, they would have given the 100% refund. All of this does not matter in your case Simon, so long as the insurers cough up. If they don't, I would go back to WRC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lets hope that WRC do the decent thing and refund you - it does the industry no good to see yards blatantly profiteering in such circumstances. I know its hard for them - but its hard for customers too! I was just going to say that Ferry told me it took just 20mins to rebook a last minute cancellation the other day but David beat me too it!! Does this mean that if there is another nationwide lockdown, yards receiving direct bookings will all follow this pattern - I would hope not!

I doubt James reads the Forum these days but if he does he might like to comment if he sees this....!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

Interety to hearl buttonloder avail for correcty nonsensical sentiles? Deep joy, Timbo not needle such digitale correcty of wordage. Keep spirit lifty Broadage01, Timbo now off for walkage of beagles with the headpholes stuffit in the eardrobes for joyfold listenit.  Ledly Zeppelers today, I think. Deep joy!

Thank you for your contribution, Professor Stanley!

• Thanks 1