Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

I can't help noticing that there are no windows in the aft cabin.

I also wonder how long it will be before that canopy arch gets pinged off under St Olaves bridge?

I would not fancy trying to helm that boat single handed when I can only get off on the bank from aft, owing to the very high freeboard and the almost full length pulpit handrail!  That would be completely impractical, when working in the locks on the Thames.

I am not sure what "market" this design is aimed at.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I can't help noticing that there are no windows in the aft cabin.

I also wonder how long it will be before that canopy arch gets pinged off under St Olaves bridge?

I would not fancy trying to helm that boat single handed when I can only get off on the bank from aft, owing to the very high freeboard and the almost full length pulpit handrail!  That would be completely impractical, when working in the locks on the Thames.

I am not sure what "market" this design is aimed at.

It is no different a design to many other cruisers on the waters. It is obviously bigger but similar in design to our Sealine S23 with the full length bow rails and higher cockpit sides.

There will be a hatch under the moulding for the helm seat for emergency access from the aft cabin and ventilation. It works quite well on ours.

I can manage perfectly well to single hand the boat and locks are really not a problem having single handed those as well. 

You get used to what you have.

I actually quite like the look of that boat but I'm not sure it is something that we would hire on the Broads given the similarities to our own boat. We usually hire something completely different to our own boat to try something different.

6 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

....No deck plan either.

Hopefully Hoseasons not adding layout plans to newly added craft is just a short term problem?

Whilst you don't need it for a caravan or cottage & can choose/live with a description such as two bathrooms & two bedrooms, boats are a bit different, but I worry that they increasingly may not appreciate it, or decide against it anyway!?

Dan

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

Hopefully Hoseasons not adding layout plans to newly added craft is just a short term problem?

Think that's it Dan, They always provide a deck plan. Interestingly though, there's no deck plan shown on NYA Charter web page for the boat either. It just has the "blown up" drawing of the inside. I guess there's a special department that does these deck-plans, and theirs is still to be done. There are lots of new boats added to the canals that are awaiting the addition of the deck-plan too. 

2 hours ago, marshman said:

But why oh why give it things like an electric kettle!!!!!!!

What’s the obsession with the kettle?! I’ve never needed to run the engine to boil the kettle. Only piece of equipment that needs that is the microwave. And that goes for boats with gas as well. 

My kettle at home is 3kw and my toaster 2.5KW - look at the kit that Sephora has and not only does she boast an electric kettle but a toaster as well.

And an electric immersion! None of those run on gas! She either has to be hooked up or will have to run her engine with that amount of electrical equipment.

No wonder I enjoy the peace and solitude of mudweighting!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

not only does she boast an electric kettle but a toaster as well.

And an electric immersion! None of those run on gas! She either has to be hooked up or will have to run her engine with that amount of electrical equipment.

With respect I would have to disagree with you on that. I've had electric kettles, toasters and an immersion heater on a hire boat without needing to run the engine or be on electrical hookup to get them working in the morning. You just need to have done a good amount of cruising hours. 

• Like 3

Depends a lot on the quality (and quantity) of the batteries and charging systems. I've said it many times on here that Swancraft really paid great attention to this aspect in their design and builds. As Jean says running the engine is very important and their systems certainly worked extremely well. I can never recall having to start the engine to get the heating going. Things like toasters and microwaves are usually run for relatively short periods. Nor sure of the advantage of an electric kettle though - probably as quick to stick the gas on! Barnes Brinkcraft seem keen on the all electric/generator approach but that's another story! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, marshman said:

My kettle at home is 3kw and my toaster 2.5KW - look at the kit that Sephora has and not only does she boast an electric kettle but a toaster as well.

No wonder I enjoy the peace and solitude of mudweighting!!!

We have an electric kettle and immersion heater on our little Sealine. Both can run from the batteries without the engine running and we don't have a huge battery bank.

The kettle is not as high powered as a kettle you would have at home but can boil enough water for two big mugs of coffee in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Depends a lot on the quality (and quantity) of the batteries and charging systems. I've said it many times on here that Swancraft really paid great attention to this aspect in their design and builds. As Jean says running the engine is very important and their systems certainly worked extremely well. I can never recall having to start the engine to get the heating going. Things like toasters and microwaves are usually run for relatively short periods. Nor sure of the advantage of an electric kettle though - probably as quick to stick the gas on! Barnes Brinkcraft seem keen on the all electric/generator approach but that's another story! 

We use the electric kettle because our gas locker can only hold the 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottles and they are silly expensive, £32 for 2.7kg of gas the last time we exchanged a bottle. Boiling the kettle on the gas hob was our main consumption of gas. Since we switched to the electric kettle we only use about 1 bottle of gas a year rather than 3 or 4 and our batteries still last four years or so.

28 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Either the plan or the photo is incorrect, the photo shows a AF Pearl 38 and the plan looks like a Bounty 40 which is backed up by the dimensions shown.

I think it's just that the pictures haven't been got ready yet so something similar has been used.

But yes, Bounty 40. I'll be interested to see aboard as that's not the usual layout.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I think it's just that the pictures haven't been got ready yet so something similar has been used.

But yes, Bounty 40. I'll be interested to see aboard as that's not the usual layout.

Seem to remember there being a Bounty 40 for hire with that layout some years ago. I'll have a root through some old brochures to see if I can find it.

According to the website for Daily Boats there is a Bounty 40 for sale in Brighton. Looks more like a Caribbean to me.

6 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Seem to remember there being a Bounty 40 for hire with that layout some years ago. I'll have a root through some old brochures to see if I can find it.

Woods have one called Flash of Light, but most other fitouts have the large shower room behind the cockpit and the beds in the aft cabins positioned athwartships.

• Like 1