Christmas?!

Happy

15 minutes ago, Happy said:

This confirms the reason for my original posting!  Still not sure what to do.

The house that is decorated looks like a Garden Centre.     At one time in Kent at Wigmore near Gillingham, a street used to decorate every house and it was for charity and it was a joy to visit once a year ,   I used to take my old Mum when she was alive and did not have Alzheimers , she used to love it,  and seeing the kiddies faces light up with it all was wonderful, but now if it is every street has more or less the same decs then it just loses its magic.   Christmas is not about people making a quick buck or getting legless or making a pig of oneself overindulging it has a religion meaning to some.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Sam said:

I would do whatever makes YOU happy. Merry Christmas.
:default_xmas2:

Alan. read this ladies advice, spot on. Don't let negative comments put you off. I think it's a lovely idea and so what if someone thinks you're a tw*t for doing it early. 

There's an elderly couple in a house near my children's school who puts up a huge display with a working Santa train every year and a donation box to help local charities. It's up and running this year already with a sign that says 

"All donations for people in need as a result of Covid"

So kind and appropriate I think. So you go for it and put a well needed smile on peoples faces 

• Like 7

As a way of keeping contact with the grandchildren, Grandad has acquired an Elf to get up to mischief. Apparently the antics are supposed to be Christmassy, not with this Grandad they won't be :default_biggrin:.

Every other day I post them a video or photo, apparently they are eagerly anticipated. I now have to do this until 2nd December when Elfy will go to a new home.

This could get messy and Grandad could be in trouble :default_rofl:

• Haha 10

Well on the basis of today's news, we won't be having a Christmas at all this year.  The latest idea of being allowed to mix between the 23rd and 27th December does not allow time for the grandchildren to quarantine before they visit and seems to have been designed to spread the disease further, In any case,the M25 and other major routes are likely to be swamped with holiday traffic over those four days. I don't suppose Boris ventures out on the motorway very much without either police outriders or a helicopter.

We will hang on for Easter instead, by which time we will hopefully have progress and not just talk on the vaccine front,  and have a proper get-together then.

On this basis,  I don't think I will bother with a tree or lights. :default_biggrin:

13 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Well on the basis of today's news, we won't be having a Christmas at all this year.  The latest idea of being allowed to mix between the 23rd and 27th December does not allow time for the grandchildren to quarantine before they visit and seems to have been designed to spread the disease further, In any case,the M25 and other major routes are likely to be swamped with holiday traffic over those four days. I don't suppose Boris ventures out on the motorway very much without either police outriders or a helicopter.

On this basis,  I don't think I will bother with a tree or lights. :default_biggrin:

The roads are busy every year so no difference there and  don`t understand " no time time for grandchildren to quaratine" either I`m afraid. Sounds like a bash at Boris.

5 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The roads are busy every year so no difference there and  don`t understand " no time time for grandchildren to quaratine" either I`m afraid. Sounds like a bash at Boris.

Not a bash at Boris, but a bash at government making decisions which will affect people without taking all the implications into consideration.  Our grandson is at school and we are in the vulnerable group. If he is to quarantine before seeing us he will need to spend 2 weeks in isolation before he can. Since, as things stand, the schools don't close until the 18th December we wouldn't be able to mix until New Year.  I hope this spells out my reason for wanting a quarantine period to your satisfaction.  On the question of traffic, I agree that the roads are always busy but, based on the government's plans, all the travel will be compressed into 4 days this year, at a time of year when there isn't likely to be a public transport alternative. I trust that this clarifies my reason for suspecting that traffic might be worse than usual this year. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Not a bash at Boris, but a bash at government making decisions which will affect people without taking all the implications into consideration.  Our grandson is at school and we are in the vulnerable group. If he is to quarantine before seeing us he will need to spend 2 weeks in isolation before he can. Since, as things stand, the schools don't close until the 18th December we wouldn't be able to mix until New Year.  I hope this spells out my reason for wanting a quarantine period to your satisfaction.  On the question of traffic, I agree that the roads are always busy but, based on the government's plans, all the travel will be compressed into 4 days this year, at a time of year when there isn't likely to be a public transport alternative. I trust that this clarifies my reason for suspecting that traffic might be worse than usual this year. 

Emm, it does indeed, didn`t know that you were in the vulnerable group so apologises for getting your back up to the point where you had to be so, err,  formal in reply.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

Any party in power at the moment would find itself in a "no win" position. If it relaxes, it shouldn't and if it doesn't, it should have!

Watching the Breakfast TV at the moment, one of it's leading stories is that the government has wasted 10 million pounds because it didn't order and receive extra PPE kit two weeks before the pandemic hit. When it "eventually ordered it" the prices had increased over 1000%. This it seems is the governments fault.

Yes, this government has got some things wrong, but so would the government have done so whatever party was in power. Different mistakes and different people moaning, but the bottom line would have been much the same. 

The only person I've seen on TV talking sense of late, is Mark Drakeford (First minister for Wales). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The only problem with saying that any government would have got it wrong is that any attempt to qualify or quantify the cost (lives and money) of each variety of governments possible mistakes is outside the Forum T & C

So I can only really say that other viewpoints are available!

I agree about Mark Drakeford though 👍

On 21/11/2020 at 08:54, Hylander said:

At one time in Kent at Wigmore near Gillingham, a street used to decorate every house and it was for charity and it was a joy to visit once a year

That would be Grain Road, every house bar a couple were festooned with lights and indeed it was for charity, it later extended to other streets. When the kids were little we always took the short drive up their to see the displays but......... we did it the week before Christmas as not to over hype the kids who were already over excited with the school plays parties etc!

I love Christmas, I love the special feel it gives you, different to any other time of the year but I'm with Helen, do it too early and it dilutes the experience!

Depending when the weekend falls our Decs outside and in go up 10-14 days before the 25th

• Like 1

That would be Grain Road, every house bar a couple were festooned with lights and indeed it was for charity, it later extended to other streets. When the kids were little we always took the short drive up their to see the displays but......... we did it the week before Christmas as not to over hype the kids who were already over excited with the school plays parties etc!

We used to live in Sittingbourne, so it was close enough for a short run in the car via The Saver Centre usually,  oh the good old days.    

Do you know if they still decorate for Charity?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Last time we went up there was 2/3 years ago, they were definitely doing charity collection then

I would think once started it's something that's difficult to stop, must have been going on for 30 years or more

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

That would be Grain Road, every house bar a couple were festooned with lights and indeed it was for charity, it later extended to other streets. When the kids were little we always took the short drive up their to see the displays but......... we did it the week before Christmas as not to over hype the kids who were already over excited with the school plays parties etc!

We used to live in Sittingbourne, so it was close enough for a short run in the car via The Saver Centre usually,  oh the good old days.    

No, sadly it dwindled out a couple of years ago.It is about  two miles away from me, we always took the children and then the grandchildren to see them.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

the government has wasted 10 million pounds because it didn't order and receive extra PPE

3 hours ago, petersjoy said:

Sadly not a mere 10m but 10bn pounds.

And now the full sentence...

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Watching the Breakfast TV at the moment, one of it's leading stories is that the government has wasted 10 million pounds because it didn't order and receive extra PPE kit two weeks before the pandemic hit.

You missed the rather important point which I have highlighted for you.. Also, you failed to correct the other error in the sentence. It wasn't 2 weeks, it was twelve months.

Hindsight is great isn't it!

I am not making any political statement here other than to draw attention to the BBC and it's apparent political bias.