Bottle Gas Prices

Andrewcook

If this is in relation to the Natural Gas price rises, there should be no knock-on as Bottled Gas is a by-product of the petroleum industry: LPG Liquified Petroleum Gas. 

Incidentally, did you know that the odour is added to this otherwise odourless gas so that you can detect escapes? Did you also know that, unlike natural gas, it's heavier than air, hence incredibly dangerous in a boat because escaped gas just drops to the floor and bilges...... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oddfellow said:

If this is in relation to the Natural Gas price rises,

I was hoping that someone could advise whether the supply of bottled gas had improved. Calor Gas bottled were as rare as gold dust the last couple of times were were on the Broads in May and July. 

Local Calor supplier in Rugby is charging £33.50 for propane 13kg. They have put a warning on their website that due to the global price increase of gas, they expect their prices to also rise soon!!

We have a 1000 ltr Calor bulk tank for heating, hot water and a gas hob and so glad we were topped up a couple of months ago!!

Chris

21 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I was hoping that someone could advise whether the supply of bottled gas had improved. Calor Gas bottled were as rare as gold dust the last couple of times were were on the Broads in May and July. 

Still a shortage of bottles, hence a shortage of bottled gas.  I spoke to one of the chandlers this afternoon and they are looking at selling bottles that can be refilled at the lpg pumps at the garage.  Trouble is, the refillable bottles will be about £200 each.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, andyg said:

Recently brought a fire pit patio table, went to b and q to get the gas bottle. Came out feeling like I'd been mugged and I'd been signed upto to contract. God knows how that happened lol.. 

I’ve never fathomed out why patio gas is a good £10 dearer (13 kg) than propane gas because they’re both propane gas!!!

Chris

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Has the availability of gas bottles improved since the summer?

No!

Calor claim they are 78.000 bottles short. That's seventy eight thousand in case anyone thinks it's a typo!

Last summer they sold every spare bottle they had to the staycationers and left themselves with a huge shortfall of bottles in the system.for refills. Ironically all the suppliers (garages, hardware stores, morrisons etc) have racks full of empty bottles but calor work on an exchange system so won't take empties unless they have full ones to replace them. In Lowestoft, currently,  there are over 100 empty 4.5 butane bottles in suppliers racks (I know, I counted them a fortnight ago) but calor will not take them back into the system without full replacements. Some of those retailers are looking to dump their calor accounts because they have nothing to sell and haven't had for months and months.

If I had continued to rely on calor I  would not have been able to cook a meal on my boat for almost six months now!

The situation is ludicrous and they just don't care. Hours on the phone to customer service and their attitude is 'tough'

You couldn't write it....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If they have a refund on their bottles, just like lemonade bottles in the old days , they would get most of them back. The trouble is, that unless you have the original purchase paperwork they will not refund. How many people keeper that paperwork? Not that many.

• Like 1

I think the shortage is mainly 4.5kg bottles (3.9kg  propane) I was lucky and picked up a 2/3 full bottle of butane at a boot fair for $15, but I did have to swap out the bottle on water rail during my last trip, fortunately I had bought a full butane from home with me, so my home reserves are down to a 1/3 propane bottle and a 2/3 butane bottle.

As mentioned above the bottle shortage is all calors own making with their policy of not taking empties unless they replace with full, it seems now that all the racks are full of empties, yet they are saying there is a shortage of bottles, a few trips round to pick up the empties to refill would solve their problem in a moment.

11 hours ago, DaveRolaves said:

The supply of calor gas 4.5 kg bottles is almost non existent now - we have been trying for weeks to get a replacement calor bottle. Flogas 4,5 KG bottles are more readily available but you need a different regulator.

Same regulator for both I use either depending on availability Flogas tends to be cheaper, Butane requires a different regulator.

Fred

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think the shortage is mainly 4.5kg bottles (3.9kg  propane) I was lucky and picked up a 2/3 full bottle of butane at a boot fair for $15, but I did have to swap out the bottle on water rail during my last trip, fortunately I had bought a full butane from home with me, so my home reserves are down to a 1/3 propane bottle and a 2/3 butane bottle.

As mentioned above the bottle shortage is all calors own making with their policy of not taking empties unless they replace with full, it seems now that all the racks are full of empties, yet they are saying there is a shortage of bottles, a few trips round to pick up the empties to refill would solve their problem in a moment.

Hello Peter I did the same on Ranworth Breeze four weeks ago and will bring another bottle down in November when I come down to Norfolk for our AGM.

Regards

Alan

16 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Still a shortage of bottles, hence a shortage of bottled gas.  I spoke to one of the chandlers this afternoon and they are looking at selling bottles that can be refilled at the lpg pumps at the garage.  Trouble is, the refillable bottles will be about £200 each.

We bought a couple of refillable bottles for our motorhome in April. It cost £500 for the 2x11kg bottles, automatic changeover, hoses and a new regulator.

Sounds expensive but the motorhome runs mainly on gas with the heating, hot water, fridge and cooking all being gas powered so we use a fair bit of it. It also has the benefit of not having to change bottles or remove them from the van, we just take the van to the pump to refill the bottles and we can fill the bottles from part empty. 

We have an LPG station a mile or so away from home which isn't the cheapest at 75ppl but even at that to refill one bottle is only £16.50. The cheapest we have paid was 47ppl at a Morrisons petrol station and at that one bottle is £10.34.

It really won't take it long for us to repay the cost of the bottles.

We are heading up to Scotland this coming weekend for a couple of weeks and we expect that we will use most of the 2x11kg bottles. Working on the most expensive LPG refill that will work out at about £33. Just one 11kg Flogas is £40 and a 13kg Calor works out at about £40 so about £80 for the equivalent amount.

• Like 2

The biggest issue is 6kg bottles, used by caravans and motor homes, this has then fed down to the smaller sizes. Larger bottles tend to be OK as these will not usually fit in caravan lockers. You can find 6kg bottles on the likes of fleabay et al, and I have seen them sell in excess of £200 empty.

There are a number of refillable gas bottles, safefill, gaslight, gasit, and gaslow to name a few and these tend to retail between £150 - £200 for the 6 - 11kg sizes but you stand more chance of buying a unicorn at present, I haven't seen one of these in stock anywhere for months. Again they crop up on ebay but beware if buying one, they hae a finite life span depending on the make of 10 or 12 years after which they need retesting and re-certification which is not cheap. Many on ebay are coming to the end of their life.

Calor say they can exchange existing bottles at their depots but are not offering new contracts to people without a bottle.