Announcement From The Chairman

Timbo

I'm going to break the forum Terms of Service. As Chairman, I've given myself permission to do so.

I'm going to paraphrase some of my favourite literary sources as well as the odd movie. I consider myself a good man, and a good man knows his limitations. I've reached mine.

Some of you will know that I have been quite poorly for some time. Over this last year I have been stepping back from the majority of my academic duties as well as various committees and posts both foreign and domestic. The post of Chairman of the NBN is the last of those positions. I've reached the point where I need to spend time with my family, and there are 'things' I want to do.

Several years ago now, Ian, Polly and I were dropped in at the deep end to keep the forum running. That we have done. All of us took up our positions as Chairman, Treasurer/Owner and secretary on the proviso those appointments were temporary. We didn't ask for those appointments but we did our best in the roles. The forum currently has over 3000 full members and over 125,000 individual regular (human) visitors a year. We have an excellent moderation team and the finances of the organization are secure. It took us longer than we anticipated but all three of us believe it is time we stood aside. The new Owner/Chairman, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary are in position and will announce themselves shortly. I do like to stay several steps ahead.

So what does this mean for the forum and members? Absolutely nothing. The forum will continue in its current shape and form. Ian, Polly and I are not going anywhere, we will still be members of the forum and 'help is always given at Hogwarts to those that ask'.

Above all, 'friendship' is what I will take away from time with the NBN. To have made so many friends has been a deep joy to me. Over my years as Chairman, I've enjoyed the many discussions on the forum. Some have made me chuckle, some made me angry and some made me laugh out loud. Particularly discussions on historical environment and landscape policy that I had a hand in writing in my former career. A brief return to that former career is one of the 'things' I wanted to do and I have been given the opportunity to do exactly that. As an academic, a last chance to waltz about 'knowing stuff' and 'writing stuff' that keyboard warriors will Google and quote in future online discussions is an opportunity to write 'Timbo woz 'ere' that will keep me chuckling as long as I am able.

So what other 'things' do I want to do? I want to finish Royal Tudor and get the chance to spend some time afloat with the grand-kids. I'm saving up for a lathe so I can continue to learn wood turning. Strange as it may seem, as a Roman archaeologist...I've never been to Rome. I need to correct that!

I would like to take a moment to thank the various team members, moderators and the membership for their support and encouragement over the years. The regular phone calls, messages, pep talks and assorted questions, daft or otherwise, have meant a great deal to me. Thankyou all.

Alas, I've spent too short a time among such excellent and admirable boaters. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. I regret to announce...this is The End. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 26
  • Sad 5

What about the bit... "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Seriously though Timbo, thanks for all you've done for the forum. Wishing you well.

Helen

p.s. hope to hear more about Royal Tudor, perhaps even to see her sometime when we are on Moonlight Shadow.

• Like 1

I am very sad to hear this Tim and I had noticed that you had not been posting for a while.  It will not have been a decision that you have taken lightly.

We have had some fascinating discussions here about Broads history,  which have been a great education for me as well, I am sure, as many others.

You also helped the forum through very stormy waters a few years ago and we are all grateful to have been steered safely back into harbour.

I look forward to seeing you again in person on the Broads and please don't be a "stranger" on here.  Look in and say hello when you can.

Meantime, perhaps I can now expound my theories on the existence of the Great Estuary without fear of incurring your wrath!

All the very best, and hearty thanks.

• Like 4

Indeed a vote of thanks to Timbo, Ian and Polly for keeping us afloat. I remember well the day the forum almost disappeared into a black hole. So to all the people who stepped up and rescued us I owe a very big thank you.

Good luck for all the things on your to do list Timbo. I sincerely hope that they come to fruition.

And very best wishes to all those who have been brave enough to step up to continue the good work of yourself and Ian and Polly.

• Like 4

well Tim, thank you for all your time up to date, and I know you will be there for any questions that may arise, I always thought you were a bit tall to be a hobbit, maybe a brandybuck?

as with Bilbo, leaving with a shower of fireworks (I do wonder about that magic ring though). still I wish you well with your projects. I well remember that day of mild panic when you stepped up to the mark, with me as moderator and technical representative, we have had some fun times since. 

I would like to allay any concerns over my post as chief moderator, I will be continuing in this role for the time being, and we have an excellent team of moderators whom i can call upon and rely upon to keep the members following the guidelines set down by Timbo and Ian, we are in a good position to continue and to avoid falling foul of any up and coming legislation thanks to Tim and Ians sterling efforts to ensure the forum and facebook were ahead of the game in these respects. many thanks for that Tim and Ian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Timbo Just Thanks!!!!!!!

For your rescue mission along with Ian and Polly

And for all the time in your company, chewing the cud. The monstrous phone calls at weird hours.

Just because we can.

I look forward to hours sitting on a river bank somewhere again having that unusual witty conversation in goon character.

And as always for god sake look after yourself.

• Like 3

Oh what a sad thing to read I will miss your posts  full of your  unique and wonderful turn of phrase! You have the enviable  knack of puting things into words leaving us lesser mortals thinking "oh I wish  I'd said that!" I'm more than sorry to learn than your health has deteriorated and I very much  hope you manage to achieve those goals you have set yourself. Thank you for all you have done for the forum.

Carole

• Like 3

All the best in achieving your goals Timbo and most importantly thanks!

Good luck Mark with the crapstorm task you have stepped up to.

And as for Grendel staying as chief moderator, I guess I'll be keeping the naughty step warm for a while longer then....

Good luck and thanks to all involved.

• Thanks 2

Timbo - As a relative newbie, only really being active on the Forum in the last few months, I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know you or having discussions with you.

However, it is clear that you and the team have worked hard to keep the forum going - no easy task for a public facing forum.

It sounds like you deserve a well earned break, and Good Luck with the next stages of your adventures !

And in case you don't visit the forum in the next few weeks - wishing you a Happy Chanukah (from Sunday night, 28th) !

• Like 1

Thank you Tim for all of your sterling work as Chairman of the forum and putting the team on the right direction with regards to the current legislation. 

We have spoken on a number of occasions regarding the forum and your phone calls have been appreciated always. I was saddened by your call yesterday but your health and wellbeing must come first. The caretaker rolls of Ian, Polly and your good self have placed the forum in my view in the correct direction for the future.

I eagerly await the announcement of the full team.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Timbo,

Firstly thanks for all you have done for the NBN to date - Very much appreciated

Secondly, I have enjoyed you anecdotes / ramblings within these hallowed virtual pages tremendously - I hope they continue as and when you feel able to entertain us with your wit and wisdom

BZ Timbo :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 6