So You Thought Paddleboards Were A Nuisance?

Mouldy

23 minutes ago, grendel said:

undoubtedly they will be clumped with jetskis and banned

Might be difficult to spot if the rider hold a paddle and chugs along at a low speed.  Maybe they’d be restricted to the waterski zones.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Might be difficult to spot if the rider hold a paddle and chugs along at a low speed.  Maybe they’d be restricted to the waterski zones.

You have to be towing or recovering a skier to exceed the speed limit, so they won’t be allowed in the ski run’s.

Unless the BA change the bylaws.

They look great and I reckon if I were a lot younger (and a lot richer) I would be tempted to have a go.

But for me the key word is "flying". As I have said before about these, I see a lot of sliced limbs. Maybe the safety standards should be up there (!) with microlights and hang gliders; licences and tests.

But since 2000 it has been developed into a foil utiised hydroplane, constructed of exotic materials and very expensive.

20220223_112439.thumb.jpg.97bb215d10f92871ac54f35e215ea188.jpg

They are very fast. But should they be subject to extra safety legislation???????

I remember picking my way past a bunch of sailing dinghys on the blackwater heading up to Maldon when one I was passing lifted a bit and shot off way ahead of me, it was the first time I'd seen a foiling dinghy and quite a surprise to say the least, my pair of old peugeot engines were never going to keep up, it was only after it passed I realised there was a gap between the hull and the water.

I gotta say I was well impressed with the way it went.

I don't suppose that's a homebuild design any more...

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The International Moth. Was a fast 11ft planing dinghy, a development class it was suitable for home build.

Moth_one-1.jpg.d1f67e1d21584b358a92291902e1258a.jpg

Z-Man_Mistral_Bow_On.thumb.jpg.211f8d37c5c120bcdd127137250a6457.jpg

Hi Chris B, in the first picture, the boat is aptly named, they must have forseen the future!  'Wake Up .....................'

• Haha 1

Wonder how the BA would calculate a tariff for one of these.

They would more than likely charge for a small vessel but on top of that do they have a price for "low flying objects" ???

The other question is how do they perform at less than 4 mph and can you imagine one of them "giving way" to a true sailing vessel?

Jeff 

1 hour ago, grendel said:

that doesnt seem to matter if you read the highway code!

Very true, I've had one just step out into the road without so much as a glance as I was turning into a side road so far, old boy without earbuds too not the usual suspects, I'll stick to old school survival tactics myself.

On 23/02/2022 at 11:34, ChrisB said:

But since 2000 it has been developed into a foil utiised hydroplane, constructed of exotic materials and very expensive.

20220223_112439.thumb.jpg.97bb215d10f92871ac54f35e215ea188.jpg

They are very fast. But should they be subject to extra safety legislation???????

Had one turn up At Horning... He didn't get upright, let alone flying, they would never work on the rivers as every time there is a wind shadow they come crashing down, into the water.

On Hickling broad outside the deep water channel they'd rip the hydrofoil off, and the weed would stop them anyway.

The only broad that's big enough and deep enough to even try flying would be Barton.

There use to be a guy on the Yare at Bremerton way who had a foil boat that went really fast some one said he could be dangerous if he had to do a emergency stop he then demonstrated by going really fast then in a blink of a eye turned 180 degrees and retraced his steps. Amazing demonstration. John

15 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The only broad that's big enough and deep enough to even try flying would be Barton.

Wroxham, Malthouse, Black Horse, Oulton, Breydon to name a few

Griff

Black horse isnt deep enough we drag the bottom leaving brown trails being with 3ft keels it's also very weedy,, it's also to small you'd be across in seconds.

Try again the internet dropped out 

To continue.

Malthouse too small too many trees,

Wroxham. Too many trees and the club house obstructing the wind, barely big enough.

Breydon, it may be big but the deep water channel isn't, you need the wind to be in the perfect direction.

Oulton , I'll give you that one I'd forgotten about it.