Trinidad1 New To The Forum

Hello there,

We have just purchased an ex Richardson's hire boat called Trinidad 1. We're really pleased with her and have managed a couple of trips to Gays Staithe so far. We're new to boating but got the bug after hiring Concerto 2 from Richardsons a couple of years ago.

She has a Nanni 4 cylinder engine with 6,700 hours which we hope if looked after will do perhaps 15,000 - 20,000. Is that a reasonable expectation ?

We met a really friendly chap on our second trip to Gay's who recommended this forum, he has a beautiful boat called Pipedreams.

Anyway just wanted to say hello, and that we don't plan to change the name. As far as we know she has always been on the broads with this name but there is some history of her previously being used in France.

Look forward to meeting some of you on our trips around the beautiful broads.

Will, Debra, Laurence & Joseph.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Trinidad1 said:

Hello there,

We have just purchased an ex Richardson's hire boat called Trinidad 1. ....As far as we know she has always been on the broads with this name but there is some history of her previously being used in France....

Hi

It wasn't ever in France.  She started life with Emerald Star Line in Ireland.

Around 2009, during the recession, the parent company Le Boat moved a lot of boats from Ireland & France which were letting very badly compared to the UK market.  As their base at the time was under the bridge at Porter & Haylett the base where Horning Pleasurecraft are was leased by them and the Wroxham fleet to run from.

This didn't last so long and some were soon sold.  Richardson's bought two and they were renamed Trinidad.  Their Siesta class has the same background.

Enjoy your purchase

Dan

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Will, Debra, Laurence & Joseph. Hope you have many happy years enjoying the Broads on your new boat.

:default_welcome:
We’ll try to keep an eye out for you (we have a share on syndicate boat Moonlight Shadow). Let us know if you decide to stay with the name or change it. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Don't worry at all on the engine hours, it is high compared to a private boat (Our boat only have like 350 hours) but diesel engines obviously live forever when maintained and really run on tick over all day. It could also be that the engine was replaced at some point (Paul Richardson may know) and the hour clock wasn't reset.  No doubt it will live well past the date we are forced to rip them out and put electric engines in.

Hello Trinidad

Welcome to The Forum and wonderful leisure time on your boat. That engine should keep going for many a year. It will need a service at around 200hrs usage. Probably some of the peripheral bits changing but should give you good service. Just make sure you check the oil and weed filter regularly and make sure one of your crew has a designated job look over the stern and check, "have we got water coming out of the exhaust and are all our ropes on board also are all our crew present and correct."

Enjoy Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge  

Thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome, the information regarding the history on Trinidad 1, and also the wise words of advice. It's great to be amongst such a friendly group of people, everyone we have met so far in our 1 week of ownership has been lovely.

Hope to see you on the broads very soon !

Will, Debra, Laurence & Joseph.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 19:18, Trinidad1 said:

Hello there,

We have just purchased an ex Richardson's hire boat called Trinidad 1. We're really pleased with her and have managed a couple of trips to Gays Staithe so far. We're new to boating but got the bug after hiring Concerto 2 from Richardsons a couple of years ago.

She has a Nanni 4 cylinder engine with 6,700 hours which we hope if looked after will do perhaps 15,000 - 20,000. Is that a reasonable expectation ?

Nice boats those Aquafibre Sapphire 32's. A lot of interior space in those for their length.

As for the engine hours, yes that's more than a private boat would have but now she's in private hands you won't be adding to that very quickly. If you keep on top of the maintenance then that engine should last you a very long time.

• Like 1

I had a sapphire 32, so am familiar with them generally. One piece of advice, in mind of an incident previously discussed, please ensure you and any crew likely to use the dual helms, fully understand the correct operation of the system. Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know. 

• Like 2

Welcome Will and family. I too bought an ex Richardson’s boat and certainly haven’t regretted it. Feels like mine now rather than hire boat after doing some work. 
This forum is the friendliest of places, with advice, good blog reads, bright minds and fun. Enjoy your boating. 

• Like 2

Having an ex hire myself here’s a few thoughts. 
join a breakdown service and get yourself a boat toolkit
ignore the hour meters age to your engine. It probably won’t relate to your engine. Mine has had its engine replaced several times. 
Have a can of the proper oil in the engine bay. And I mean the proper spec oil relatable to when the engine was made. 
I find a dab of silicone grease on the weed filter gasket helps in the undoing. 
replace the ropes with some good grip ones that is well over specced. I like braided 20mm. 
Buy extra rope for more mooring options 
poke around the dark corners of the boat to find all the basics. Water pump, bilge pump, heater and heater pipes and get to know where all your through hulls are and how to close them. 
find the stern gland greaser and see if it needs topping up. 
keep in mind the BSS and make a mental list for compliance. Our outside warning signs have faded. 
and enjoy 😊 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

ignore the hour meters age to your engine. It probably won’t relate to your engine. Mine has had its engine replaced several times. 

If it was a Ricko's swap then they usually will, to be honest. They're generally replaced with an engine swap (along with the whole dash panel and switches) and used to determine service intervals etc.

11 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If it was a Ricko's swap then they usually will, to be honest. They're generally replaced with an engine swap (along with the whole dash panel and switches) and used to determine service intervals etc.

Possibly but mine wasn’t. Custom dash panel. They used trailer connection plugs for the electrical connections to the engine so swapping out a defective unit was a lot easier. 
This I was told is what they did back in the day. Better than trying to work on the engine in situ if a major fault was suspected. I again was told, that a swap could be done in under an hour
Indeed, thanks to Paul and the lads, that’s what they did when my motor gave out just after buying it. 
I guess they made note of the hour meter reading