The Maltsters, Ranworth.

Hello all,

We are planning on mooring at Ranworth Staithe for the first night of our weekend afloat. Not been to The Maltsters for a few years. What's the food like?

I've looked on trip advisor and it received mixed reviews so I figured I'd ask on here.

Thanks in advance :-)

I would agree with the comments already made. I imagine they will have quite a few temporary staff and it just depends who they have doing the cooking and serving on the day. It should be OK later on in the season as it will be a bit quieter I would imagine.

Same for the beer – it’s OK but I wouldn’t go turning cartwheels in the car park.

Do let us know how you get on though! cheersbar 

The Maltsters,,,hmmm. Nice looking pub in a great location and nearby moorings at no cost to the establishment. Every reason for it to be the best on the Broads but, sadly, such an accolade could never be given to the place IMHO.

Primarily though, for me, there would have to be a change of ownership/management before any money of mine would go across that bar.

• Like 2

We were there in April and the place was heaving.

2 x 80th birthday parties + another function.

We didn't go in for food that night, just a couple of pints but I have to say we were made to feel very welcome.

For all the Landlord was run off his feet he still made time to come and have a word with us.

So its 10 out of 10 from me

David

Ps. I don't know the Landlord and had not met him before

• Like 2

Yes Alan is right we called in there after returning from Horning over the Bank holiday.The staff were very young and inexperienced.It took a long time to get a drink,therefore we decided not to get food.However looking at the food that was being served it looked very good.We did eat there last year and it was very good.So hope to try the food again

Ian

I would agree with the comments already made. I imagine they will have quite a few temporary staff and it just depends who they have doing the cooking and serving on the day. It should be OK later on in the season as it will be a bit quieter I would imagine.

Same for the beer – it’s OK but I wouldn’t go turning cartwheels in the car park.

Do let us know how you get on though! cheersbar 

You normally do cartweels in the carpark Howard, but after you`ve been in and sampled a few..

Did  i say a few? :naughty:

• Like 1

Myself & Sonia were bored on Saturday evening so we decided to visit the Malsters, hoping to some music i.e maybe bump into Sally & Bob or Hard Rain etc etc....but unfortunately nothing was on... :cry: 
So we will plan things next time!! 
The landlord i.e. Roy made us very welcome & we had an enjoyable evening....

I actually lived in the area from a young age, so it was good to see the pub busy on a Saturday evening. I can remember calling in on a regular basis but only ever for a quick drink whilst heading to Ranworth Hall County Club or the squash courts.....,(they were lively!)  
Saturdays out of season were normally very quiet at the Malsters, so its was good to see.

Will be back there again soon......& may even treat the wife to one of those burgers mentioned!! :naughty: 
Personally we would give it a miss during the season, due to all those Yorkshiremen at the bar!! i.e. Griff!! They normally all stand there with 'nearly' empty glasses, so its always a costly visit.... :pirate  

Regards
Jason

• Like 8

• 11 months later...

We called in yesterday on the final leg of the Ale Trail. (Yes, we've got two full books!)

Drinks were up to standard and the food we saw looked wholesome and plentiful.

Sorry we didn't stop to chat, Alan & Maggie, but we had another two final pubs to visit.

Ranworth Staithe had only one space at 12.30!

20150907_125057.jpg

20150907_125000.jpg

• Like 4

Five of us ate there on Monday this week. All meals were excellent the portions were generous.Drinks were fine but the wine at £19 a bottle minimum was a tad on the high side. No probs John when I came back you were gone but I guessed you had driven and were on the ale trail

Alan

Over the years of popping into pubs I like to do the ‘Burger test’ – it gives a good indication to me of how the rest of the food may be, because a burger is a simply thing to cook and what one might get for their money.

I did this at the Maltsters twice.  Once I believe in 2013 and the in May earlier this year.  Things have improved greatly.  The presentation, of the food on t e plate, to the onion rings being made from fresh real onions that are battered not the frozen shaped variety with ‘mashed’ onions inside. 

The burger bun was fresh, the cheese and salad were all very nice too not to mention the nice chips which were golden outside and fluffy inside.  They even have branded condiments in bottles not un-branded in a couple of sachets so overall I was very pleased I had given it another go as it suggests if the humble burger has seen improvements, so too have their other dishes.

• Like 1

Happy memories for our lot too.

It was during the 'Lads Weeks' October 2009 that we removed the 'Bow Bar' from the pub into a removal lorry for them to take it from the pub over to Stalham

Griff

BA_NBN_143.thumb.JPG.dbc95b1ab12cc6a14d63c1c39fb0b11c.JPG

BA_NBN_144.thumb.JPG.57daf20c33e8795d4afea114a05d3125.JPG

Only just seen this - fantastic - would you mind if the Museum of the Broads used the photos please on social media?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk