Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Sorry to hear this Griff , yes accidents happen , especially when weather conditions are as they have been this last few days , but that is no excuse for the helm of the offending craft to not stop and exchange full details though sadly it is becoming more commonplace .

Edited by ranworthbreeze
Edited to remove name of boat TOC

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

would you have wanted him to come back and have a second attempt to talk to you though.

I must confess a similar thought had crossed my mind. Be nice if the yard rings in the morning to say that the hirers have called to report the incident, but didn't feel confident at trying to moor up again. Only time will tell I guess.

Just seen the video on Youtube and should be an easy one to resolve since they are both from the same yard. Trouble is I don't suppose the offending helm cared whether it was the same yard, different yard or privately owned boat.

Trouble is, it might have been loaded today on Youtube, but when was it filmed. Might be worth a pm to Clive with the link in case it was today. Same yard or not, that is very close to willful damage and I doubt covered by the CDW.

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

Just seen the video on Youtube and should be an easy one to resolve since they are both from the same yard. Trouble is I don't suppose the offending helm cared whether it was the same yard, different yard or privately owned boat.

Trouble is, it might have been loaded today on Youtube, but when was it filmed. Might be worth a pm to Clive with the link in case it was today. Same yard or not, that is very close to willful damage and I doubt covered by the CDW.

It looks to me as if the helm of the offending boat had no idea of how to leave a mooring and was nudging his way out - as many new helms do. (There may well have been a smidgin of aggression there too.) Does the trial run include guidance on how to leave a mooring? So many times I have seen boats scraping forwards along the quay heading with the stern banging against it, in fact we have been hit a couple of times this way as, no doubt, have others.

The hireboat that hit us earlier today made the age old mistake that so many inexperienced helms make times many. They neglected to take into account that boats steer from aft, that is to say the stern moves either port or Stbd to point the bow in a direction of travel. 

All they had to do was leave the quay heading at ninety degrees and go straight out, but either the rudder was not amidships when they went ahead or they tuned too early before the stern cleared us. In either case they set off far too fast leaving themselves with no time to react

Griff

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It looks to me as if the helm of the offending boat had no idea of how to leave a mooring and was nudging his way out - as many new helms do. (There may well have been a smidgin of aggression there too.) Does the trial run include guidance on how to leave a mooring? So many times I have seen boats scraping forwards along the quay heading with the stern banging against it, in fact we have been hit a couple of times this way as, no doubt, have others.

I have seen trial runs by one yard where they demonstrate in still waters and generally against a bank, turning the wheel hard over towards the bank with a short sharp burst of forward throttle to kick the back out and then reverse away from the mooring. Off course if the wheel isn't turned hard towards the quay then you tend to get the shuttling back and forth along the quayside until I guess frustration and more throttle takes over. 

If pinned to a bank by the wind, tide or in a tight spot, I tend to prefer gently motoring against a rope securely around a post until the back starts to swing out far enough to then reverse off.

Or, you could opt for the assumption that they were struggling as newbies in controlling the boat in strong wind. .As such their primary concern would be to try get get on course, and not attempt to go back to apologise and perhaps get into further difficulty. 
I should add that I opted not go cruising about these last few days because of the wind and, from our mooring in Brundall, we have observed that there are very few private boats out and about.

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Or, you could opt for the assumption that they were struggling as newbies in controlling the boat in strong wind. .As such their primary concern would be to try get get on course, and not attempt to go back to apologise and perhaps get into further difficulty. 
I should add that I opted not go cruising about these last few days because of the wind and, from our mooring in Brundall, we have observed that there are very few private boats out and about.

I had made a similar comment earlier on in the thread, but it was Griff's comment that they set off far too fast and the time of day they were leaving made me wonder.

Given the weather conditions, the fact it would be dark earlier being such a dismal day, and that most people were probably tucked up on moorings I would have stayed put for the night. Finding another mooring at that time of day wouldn't particularly be easy. Made me wonder if they had stayed longer than intended and were then rushing onto their next destination. Sunset yesterday was 18:42 so a shade under 2 hrs to get somewhere and find a secure mooring for the night in not very pleasant conditions.

3 minutes ago, Regulo said:

I would hope, with the evidence, there WOULD be some financial hurt. That was not accidental. One hit - yes. To do it again smacks of "wilful damage" to me. I'd hope Richardson's at least get a detailed explanation of the helmsman's actions, with a view to getting some recompense.

Apologies Regulo, we are talking at cross purposes here. In my message above I assumed you were talking about Griff's incident, which is totally separate to the Ludham Bridge incident being talked about on another thread. In Griff's incident I think it may have been careless, not willful and therefore the CDW will cover it, with no financial impact for the hirer, but still some inconvenience for Griff.