Plane crash

riyadhcrew

Just seen on the local news, seven dead, a day out ending in utter tragedy for some, my sons were at the Airbourne show in Eastbourne last week, the very thought of them not coming home sends shivers down my spine. Won't make the slightest difference but my heart and thoughts go out to the families involved

Grace

• Like 4

Horrific.  This is a show we have gone to a number of times in the past.   What went wrong?  Will they continue with the second day of the show tomorrow?   As a mark of respect to those innocent people who were killed - hopefully not.

An interesting thought:

I heard about this tragedy, sitting at home South of the M4, by looking at a  forum about Norfolk, reading an item from a member in Riyadh talking about an accident in Shoreham.

• Like 4

After this and other crashes - you can see why the manufacturers wont release the information to keep the Vulcan flying, I hope against hope this isnt the end of the airshow in general. My thoughts are with the families of those who died, though from the look of the pictures I have seen, and reports read, that in the main 2 cars were involved - one was a Daimler limosine that had the top completely removed, so it may have involved whole families - So Sad.

• Like 1

Likewise very sorry to hear the news of this crash.Looking at the pictures on the news it seems to me that he misjudged the height he had left before pulling the plane up.However it is very upsetting for everyone,my thoughts go out to the family and friends to all.

Ian

• Like 1

It`s a very sad day indeed. However, when you go to ANY mass event such as this, or a race meeting etc, you`re ALWAYS at risk. It`s one of the risks you take when you go and spectate at high speed events.  By what i`ve seen and heard on the news, the plane crashed on the A27, and might have been away from the display box?.  Nobody knows as yet to what caused the crash, so we should`nt speculate. However, the pilot DID survive, and is in hospital with serious injuries. My heart goes out to all the families of those concerned, and to the pilot who, if he recovers from ihis own injuries, will be able to inform the relevent authorities. 

It`s also fair to say, if he recovers, he will no doubt be haunted by this tragedy for the rest of his life, and he also deserves our sympathies.

• Like 3

Thing is there was nobody at the airshow involved (apart from the pilot who is critically injured) those killed were on the main A27 which runs parallel to the airport 

The traffic was stopped at the traffic lights when the plane came down

My thoughts go out to those involved and my condolences to their families

• Like 1

I agree with Speedtriple, we don't know what happened and if the pilot dies it is unlikely that we ever will.

If he does survive, then, as 'ST' says he will no doubt be haunted by this tragedy for the rest of his life, and he also deserves our sympathies.

SueH

• Like 2

Tragic incident,  I hope if theres anything to be learned that steps are taken to prevent anything like this happening again, whilst it was freak its not really a one off anymore.   I believe the Ramstein accident led to the display line but something else ought to be done to prevent these ageing aircraft falling from the skies onto innocent folk going about their business.  I do love an airshow but maybe the location suitability ought to be called into question.  

• Like 2

My deapest sympathies to all ..

There but for the Grace of God go I.

The week after the Kegworth air disaster I was stuck in a traffic jams parked on the scratches in the tarmac left by the crash.

The week after Lockerbie I was stuck in traffic on the A74 where some bits came downdown.

There is a lot more up there than a few air displays.

I`ve just watched the 11.00 oclock news, and they now confirm 11 dead, and that figure is more than likely to rise. I was on faceache earlier, only to discover a friend of mine was at the airshow, but is safe and well. He said, and this was backed up by eye witness reports on the tv news, that a few seconds before the crash, the Hunters engine had a flame out, so lost all power. 

One of the questions posed by the tv reporter was why the pilot DID`NT eject, and questioned whether his ejector seat was faulty. However, and i will ask John to put me right on this, because the Hunter was withdrawn from militayr service many years ago, they become classified as "civil" aircraft and come under CAA regulations, and are not permitted to have ejector seats?. Is that correct John?.

From watching the footage It appears to me as though the pilot could be trying to advert the tragedy right up untill the moment of impact.  If he had the option to eject and didnt it speaks volumes of the poor man to me.  Its reported he is a highly regarded pilot and lets face it they dont just let anyone fly these machines in this way. 

Its of no comfort to those involved but Shoreham being built up, just maybe it could have been far far worse.  

I do agree we shouldnt speculate but I still think the powers that be need to start looking at where displays are taking place and changing things around built up areas.  

• Like 1

Not many summers where we don't hear or read of airshow related accidents somewhere in the world and all too often in Britain. Not so long ago we had a Harrier crash into the sea at Lowestoft, thankfully no one died, but an accident nevertheless. It went into the sea very near to a crowded pier, probably only seconds away in aircraft terms. Is it really worth it? Not so long ago that a Red Arrow pilot died.

Edited by JennyMorgan

Not many summers where we don't hear or read of airshow related accidents somewhere in the world and all too often in Britain. Not so long ago we had a Harrier crash into the sea at Lowestoft, thankfully no one died, but an accident nevertheless. It went into the sea very near to a crowded pier, probably only seconds away in aircraft terms. Is it really worth it? Not so long ago that a Red Arrow pilot died.

And those pilots were doing what they live and love to do Peter. I speak from personal experience.

• Like 1