Acle Overnight Moorings

Broads01

16 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The house with the chip shop chimney besides Hunsett Mill could easily be considered uglier!

It won't be appearing on the front of Norfolk fudge or biscuit boxes any more.

When I first saw it, it looked like a blot on the landscape, I am over that now, I just don't look at it anymore. lol So who gave them planning permission on that one, half the staff must have been on holiday at the time.

What it used to look like.

and now the sheds or what ever, at the back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you go back to the original thread you will see some like it!!

The pictures you have shown are not like elevation for like so it is not really comparable - at least the original cottage remains ( which was the objective!! ) and as a bonus the mill was tarted up and the boathouse rebuilt. Surprisingly ran this past my kids and they all prefer the new so its like many things, some like it, others don't!!!

But given that original thread was nearly as long as Thorpe Island, lets not restart that!!!!!

Oh dear, we appear to have left Acle and gone for a nice cruise up the Ant, till we arrived at what my Sister In Law called a carbuncle,I think she meant a blot on the landscape ! But, yes, lets not return to the past,or I will require a packet of paracetamols !:naughty:

cheersIain

The bit that worries me is the reduction in the amount of public moorings available.

Many years ago when Alan Johnson  Boats were in existence there was always a mooring available including the area opposite the pub.

If there is a reduction of another 20 to 30 mooring spaces what time would I have to get there for an overnight mooring when SWMBO fancies a fish pie at The Bridge?

Jeff

• Like 1

On 10/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, Viking23 said:

It won't be appearing on the front of Norfolk fudge or biscuit boxes any more.

When I first saw it, it looked like a blot on the landscape, I am over that now, I just don't look at it anymore. lol So who gave them planning permission on that one, half the staff must have been on holiday at the time.

What it used to look like.

and now the sheds or what ever, at the back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

41f56583-dbb8-46f9-898e-c8e3b946229c.jpg

• Like 6

Tony, actually I think it is a case of very clever architecture but whether it is suitable for the location must surely be open to debate and varied opinion.  For me I do think that the cottage. and the site in general, has lost its picturesque. iconic picture post card appeal, I do regret that.

I have followed this thread with interest, having just spent 5 days out and about on the Broads. I have not been "Down South" for some time and i was pleasantly surprised how many more free moorings, or emergency, pontoon style moorings there were than i can recall previously.  Credit where credit's due.

When we recently did a boating holiday in the Italian lagoons, there seemed to be no concept at all of BA style "free moorings", and apart from a few really wild moorings (which i didn't want to risk), it was nearly all marinas, commanding up to 60 euros a night - they have you over a barrel !      Made the Broads seem very reasonable in comparison. 

• Like 4

I think the "picture postcard" view was mostly about a fine, well kept cottage garden surrounding the cottage & mill. You can't  expect all future owners to be green fingered wizards and an un-tended garden would quickly revert to wilderness.

If you take away the pretty garden fron the original  the new incarnation looks no better or worse than the original.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No neighbours but us fishermen are often out after dark, we sometimes see some right goings on in riverside properties as we pass by!! Ho ho ho, not one to gossip but nocturnal and often nudge-nudge activities can make great viewing for nocturnal navigators!!

Jenny "blackbeard" morgan stealthily, slithering along un-noticed and un illuminated with baccy for the nuns & jewels for the fathers!

There be tunels under that there broad. :swordpir::Sailing

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No neighbours but us fishermen are often out after dark, we sometimes see some right goings on in riverside properties as we pass by!! Ho ho ho, not one to gossip but nocturnal and often nudge-nudge activities can make great viewing for nocturnal navigators!!

Drfting past during the 3 Rivers race you see and hear the odd thing, there was an absolutley huge shouting match in a moored boat, outside the Horning ferry one year, at about 3 in the morning, I'm glad I wasn't moored alongside.

There is no part of the human body I haven't seen while out sailing on the broads, some I was interested in, A LOT I was not...

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In the afternoon as well.   Coincidental that this should be on the 'Acle Moorings ' thread :naughty:

• Like 2

fantastic speculation on this thread, sorry I have been quiet, I don't log on much. 

we do own the river bank,

there is no slipway to preserve,

the pontoon at Ranworth is old news,

we are not speaking with Len about Acle,

I didn't like Hunsett mill either. 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

fantastic speculation on this thread, sorry I have been quiet, I don't log on much. 

we do own the river bank,

there is no slipway to preserve,

the pontoon at Ranworth is old news,

we are not speaking with Len about Acle,

I didn't like Hunsett mill either. 

If only my Mrs could be as concise as Clive!

• Like 7