Something New In Hoseasons

DAVIDH

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Vaughan will I suspect tell you that investing in a yard is like buying a boat! A money pit but unlike a boat, has the ability to absorb gargantuan sums of money, all on the hope that someone might buy your finished product!!

Can't argue with that!

If you have your own capital to invest or if you have inherited the business, down the generations, then there is some hope, but not if you are "in hock" to the bank.

I can just remember when Martin Broom first took over that business from his father. He gave up the chance to sail a Star in the Olympics in order to do so. He was a close colleague and friend of my father and I later got to know his business sense personally when I served with him on the board of Blakes.

Brooms was always a fabulous hire fleet in the days after the war but, just like my father's fleet at Hearts, it never really made a profit. If you set yourself high standards, they come at a cost! In the 1970s, Martin made no secret that he was only keeping the hire fleet on as a "lost leader". People came to hire his "Admirals", fell in love with boating and ended up buying a Brooms Cruiser! And let's not forget, in those days a Broom really was the best offshore pleasure cruiser that you could buy.

Nowadays it is just the same, in a way. A hire fleet is the "bread and butter" of a boatyard but it makes its profits from other things, such as new building, private repairs and moorings. The moorings, of course, are where the private repair customers come from!

• Like 6

Now that I have seen recent photos of this "Cover Girl" I can confirm that this is a later version 42ft Crown Classique, obviously fitted out for a private customer. Also fitted out as a four berth, when the actual design was originally an 8 berth.

I think I can say I know these boats better than most, as Crown Blue Line have literally hundreds of them in Europe, which is where they were designed for. In my opinion they are the best inland waterways hire boat that you will ever find but if you want to hire one, choose the Charente, the Saone in Burgundy, or the canals of Alsace. This is where they are at home and this is where they can be best appreciated.

So what would I choose to hire, after all my years in the business?

This year I am hiring a boat for the first time in my life, and it is a Richardsons bath tub!! What's more, I helped to build this boat, in 1975, and she is still going strong, which says everything  for her popularity. Goes under all the bridges, all on one level, wide side decks, no sharp corners, spacious accommodation, etc.

I have hired a big one because we want to invite all on board for drinks at the spring meet but even so, I would still have hired the 37 ft "Bounty" as a great holiday boat. I can also assure you that, no matter what they look like like, they are  among the easiest boats to handle on the Broads. Bow thruster or no!

• Like 6

Just now, Gracie said:

Vaughan :bow Which one have you hired, if you don't mind me asking?

The Ultimate Gem, because it has a partition which opens up the front saloon and the double cabin next to it into one very large space, into which we shall find out how many forumites can be fitted, on Salhouse Broad! It can also be moored bow on, for this purpose, as easily as stern on.

This is a 44ft boat, which is perhaps a bit excessive for Susie and I, but why not? You are only young once. The 37ft version such as the Magic Gem or Amber Gem is my idea of a thoroughly good all round Broads hire boat. Choose the version without sliding canopy for holidays in the off season. Less draughts!

• Like 5

Just wanted to share a couple of things. 

I have 8 friends (yes real ones and not off facetwit) who wanted a boat on the south for a long weekend. The only option they had was with freedom. Who were very flexible and accommodating - hence booked.  The only other yard with a big enough boat were silverline, but didn't offer them for a long weekend. 

I do wonder how many other people get pushed north if they boat they want isnt available?

Second point, I'm not into flybridge boats. But have run down from brundall to OB on one and I have to say I saw stuff I hadn't seen before and had a very different perspective of the rivers and surrounding land. Don't remember seeing too many cars!!!

so don't knock it until you have tried it. If you stick to the same old stuff all the time, you will never know if your missing something amazing!!!!

variety is the spice of life as they say. :party:

• Like 6

I have to agree with Baitrunner, our boat has an upstairs helm (not sure if it qualifies as a flybridge!) and the viewpoint is ideal.  On a bathtub or low level boat you really are missing a lot!  We would prefer a higher level boat everytime but in saying that if it could fit under all the bridges without having to lower screens and canopy it would be much more appealing.  We cant have it all! 

• Like 3

I loves me forward drives, I love me dual steers too. Both are brilliant for the Broads for different reasons. Robin's video where he talks about  'bathtubs' (You can't see sh**!) is actually spot on though, particularly on the southern Broads. I remember cruising the Chet on a dual steer for the first time and realising how much I'd been missing. 

• Like 1

I would never knock anyone's boat preference, we are all different, one man's meat, is another man's poison (or woman's) as my dad says. I have loved every single boat I've been on, as long as it's a boat and it floats and it's on the Broads, what more could you ask for! 

Anyone starting a new venture on the Broads, especially boat hire, whether they are hiring floating apartments, little old dinghy's or flappy thingies, I wish them all the very best of luck

:Sailing:Stinky

Grace

• Like 8

It is a case of each to their own but no-one should be disrespectful of another's choice. We have tried a number of different boats but know what suits us best. Mind you I'm liking the look of Zircon Emblem, Ferry Marina's latest offering.

And in the time it took me to type this I see that Grace has also replied ... and I agree with her wholeheartedly. :)

• Like 4

I have to say when we hired it was always from yards in the south. In the late 60's it Hearts Cruisers (from an add in Angling Times) if I remember right about 3 times. Sandersons at Reedham about 3 or 4 times. Beaver fleet 6 times at St Olaves first from the marina in the "V" between the new cut and Waveney then from the riverside near the bridge. Last From Outlon Broad the boat was Anglian Sonnet cant remember the name of the yard. Our Honeymoon in Oct 74 was from the yard cant remember other than it it was at Bourgh Castle,  but the boat was Bourgh Queen Less said about that the better.

Charlie

• Like 2

I have hired both North and South. Hire South for the last five years as we have to visit during peak times. The north is too busy for my liking although the upper reaches are beautiful. I just love the Southern Rivers, and of course Swallow from Maffetts. If I do travel North using Merlin from Maffetts or Sweet Freedom from Freedom gives you a low air draft for above Potters. Both excellent for two. If you have any doubts call the rangers at GYYS. They will help.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is the same interior layout that Crown Blue Line call the Royal Classique.

Needs a bit of proof-reading in the description, I think!

It is not forward steering and it is not single level throughout since the engine is under the saloon floor. When it says shower and toilet, there are actually 3 separate toilets and showers, one for each cabin.

I have to say this but a LOT of people will splash out on a once in a lifetime trip to get some comfort and mod cons and experience a boating holiday. I know couples who would hire this for the space and "because they could". 

A lot of people still seem to think boating is about roughing it. Everyone has their opinions and favourites. But let's think about us all not loving the same thing!!

Look at caravans, motorhomes and even tents. It's nothIng like it used to be. 

I really do much prefer a "posher" boat. But have hired at the lower end because of cost or what I wanted it for. 

• Like 3

Shopping on the Northern rivers could prove difficult. Can't get under Wroxham to the plentiful moorings, Tesco at Stalham is out. Ludham would seem best if you can get in at Womack.

Ferry also have a brand new boat built for two - Zircon Emblem. Although Ludham will be OK (just) at least it won't be banned from the Ant (or Chet)!

The real key to these boats seems to be that people will pay the £1k for a short break and for the luxury content and feel - this is haynes built too and was probably a bob or two, even if i don't like that slab side "aggressive" look.  Each to their own i suppose...!

• Like 1

Just a thought..... we are talking about very very small number of theses big lush boats on the river... so really they are not going to cause any problems... ok they are just a little bit wider so it restricts them on small rivers.... really who cares if your not aloud down certain rivers and you can not fit them under some bridges you don't go there... so if you want access all areas you higher a boat to go to all these places.... a bath tub... that's the beauty with the broads you can hire what ever you want...you can hire any to suit your individual needs.... it makes me laugh when folk knock these big boats who wouldn't even higher one saying..... hmmmmm this is so impractical we can't go here we can't go there..... simple answer to this... Don't hire it.. 

• Like 5

It's interesting to see the new boat designs...wht...there's...wht...obviously been some thought done on...wht...hang on I think my spirit guide is trying to communicate with us.
"Who wishes to...wht...commune with us? Is that you Uncle Albert?"
"What the 'ell is that thing Broom have come up with? Course it's me lad! Now I've not got much time as it's darts and doms night then we are off to see Mrs T."
"She's never up there is she?"
"Don't be a pillock, there's a balcony so we can look down. Now shut yer gob and listen!"
"Yes Dad."
"First they come up wi't bathtub, served it's purpose but it's not pretty. Then they start building 'blocks of flats'. Then that there 'Topliner' shipping container on a raft. But son...they are getting uglier and uglier. This one looks like a squashed icecream carton. It aint natural all that plastic. It's certainly not classy, all that tin makes it look like a floating gypo encampment with extra Proseco and we all know that's cats wee. Now then just exactly when are they going to return to classic wooden boats that are sustainable, preserve traditional skills, are more stable, don't cost the earth to dispose of when they are no more, fit under t'bridges and look pretty. You would 'ave though t'Broads Authority would have subsidized proper boats we less tolls! Talking of which I've got to go son as it's reincarnation class in a minute!"
"Are you coming back as something good Dad?"
"Thy 'as t'start we t' lower life forms first son."
"What you mean slugs and snails?"
"No lad, I'm gonna be t'next Chief Executive of t'Broads Authority!"

wht...thought done on the design? Ooh I do feel strange. Don't know what came over me, I feel a sudden urge for lager, single malt and a pipe!

• Like 5