Jillr, A Friend To Us All.

I'm so very sorry to hear the sad news. My sincere condolences to Jill's family and friends.

Like most on here, I too had never met Jill in person but had corresponded via the internet, usually on Broads history/boat related matters. She came across as someone who was passionate about the Broads and it's history and, on a personal level, was a great supporter of BM over the years, for which I will be eternally grateful. Someone I deeply regret not having met in "real life".

I also had massive admiration for her moderation skills on here. Always level headed, kind and thoughtful, and she had a wonderful ability to calm fractious threads and personality clashes in the most gentle and subtle of ways.

As has been sad ... she will be sorely missed.

Carol

• Like 10

I have not posted here for a few years but look in occasionally, I could not let this sad event pass without comment.

Jill was one of the orignal moderators way back when Brian started the site. As a Moderator she was always bastion of fairness and even handedness, she saw good in everyone even when some of us could not. Her gentle encouragement to stay on the straight and narrow often worked much better than a heavy handed approach.

She was a lovely lady and will be sadly missed.

• Like 10

I`d like to second ALL of the above.  Like many on here, I never had what would have been a great privilege to meet Jill, but always hoped i would one day.  I knew Jill had health issues, but never knew how serious they were, and it`s a testament to her that she was still very active both in mind and body.   I had`nt spoken to Jill for a while, as i thought she`d taken a step back from the forum because of her health issues, and feel really sad that i will never be able to speak to her again. 

Rest in peace Jill, we will all miss you.

May i make a suggestion?.

I have no idea what Jills illness was, but if it was cancer, or one of any other such illnesses, what would people think if next years callander was filled with Jills photos, and sold to raise money to make a donation in her memory?. 

This is just an idea, and not meant to offend anybody, or be in bad taste, so if anybody IS offended by the idea, i sincerely apollogise, and ask the mods to remove that part of this post.

• Like 12

Just noticed the Skipper has changed his avatar thingy to Jill's beautiful little Kingfisher avatar, such a lovely thing to do and very fitting, seeing it brought a lump to my throat. I think, like our pesky Iain, she's never going to be forgotten, especially her cheeky nickname 'Miss Whiplash', we knew she would whip us gently into shape if she thought things were getting heated, another pesky mod who can never be replaced

Such a sad day today

Grace

• Like 10

1 hour ago, deebee29 said:

I personally think a calendar of Jill's photos would be a great idea, the only problem see is the photos uploaded to the forum are low res and you need high res for a good print but it would be a great tribute 

This would be a lovely idea. Jill as boaty-granny posted her photographs to the Flickr photo sharing social media group and high resolution copies can be downloaded from her pages at https://www.flickr.com/photos/40472712@N02

Fred

• Like 7

Jill had been a great friend to Ruth and I over the years we have lived on our boat. We were fortunate to have spent time with her drinking tea and putting the world right while sat on her boat at ABC wharf on several occasions.

Our thoughts are with Becs and Lisa.

Colin and Ruth

• Like 5

Jill was one of a kind.  I'm shocked to hear this.  She was a great voice for the liveaboard community and will be missed.  I met her through our liveaboard connection and she became a great friend.  Nothing was too much trouble, and she even visited me in hospital, when she herself was very ill.

i will treasure the stories she told me about the Albion Fairs that took place many moons ago, and the book about hippy festivals she gave me.

• Like 5

On 09/05/2017 at 7:31 PM, w-album said:

She helped bring Vaughan to this forum and when he reads this he will without doubt shed a tear as many else will being doing .....

Thank you for that Liz, as I have also been "off" for a few days, driving back to Norfolk.

Liz and I had been in close contact by e-mail for about 10 years before I joined the forum, as I was helping her in the fight for the right to moor boats at Hearts Cruisers and to live on board them.

She was, as most know, a stalwart of the Residential Boat Owners' Association and fought hard for the way of life that we love on inland waterways as well as our right to do so.

No doubt we shall be raising several glasses to her memory on Salhouse Broad.

• Like 10

I have avoided answering this, because I find it upsetting that the long standing members, I have conversed with through this forum for many years are now starting to disappear.

I also worry about the ones that have not posted for a long time, are they all right or gone?

When I'm gone you will know I will haunt the forum!

My deepest condolences to her family.

paul

• Like 5

R.I.P.Jill

Like many others I feel I knew you but we never met apart from on the forum, mainly in the chat room quizzing.

As others have said your photos are amazing and I think a calendar is a wonderful idea and a fitting tribute to a talented photographer.

Sympathy and condolences to her family and friends.

• Like 2

On 10/05/2017 at 9:08 PM, Jonzo said:

Yeah I guess that's a sad fact of life.

I think because NBN has been around so long now we have sadly inevitably had to say goodbye to a few of our friends here.

Gone ....yes ....but wont be forgotten .....

• Like 9

Hi everyone, Its Lisa Jill's daughter

Thank you all for the kind messages i have just read here, i am late in coming here as was going to inform you all, but as you will appreciate, i have been grief stricken and bogged down with so much to sort out its stupid!!! 

not only that but i had forgotten my log in details .... (again)

In the next few months i have so much to share with you all,

she has lot's of photos and i will be setting up some kind of thread for this if it is ok to do so, this will take me a little while to get sorted, but when i do i know you will all enjoy them, she took so much pleasure dragging me out from pillar to post to capture some amazing things.

sending you all thanks again, 

regards and much love.... Lisa 

• Like 22