Do You Still Wave?

Hylander

I tried to find an old post about this but could not so here goes with a fresh one.       Having just spent a week on Rose Emblem cruising about the Northern Broads I was very pleased to see that 99% of folk do still give you a wave as you pass by.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Actually it regularly does between bikers

And yes on ‘B.A’ we always try to return waves (not a bow wave you understand)

Griff

It most certainly does with bikers , and used to between VW beetle owners and not forgetting the AA members and their road side assistance units which were normally on motorcycles with side car full of bits :default_icon_wave:

We try to wave as much as possible, unless distracted by something, or if sailing and have our hands busy hauling in or letting out the mainsheet (ropes!). I agree about the tinted windows on some boats, you often just can't tell if your wave is acknowledged or not.  Never mind, if in doubt wave!  I did comment to Graham in September that I felt a bit of a numpty sometimes waving at people who were looking in the other direction. Oh well!

Helen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Labrador said:

Good job it doesn't happen on the roads, could result in mayhem.:default_biggrin:

Old enough to remember waving to the likes of the RAC & AA patrol men and waving to car owners of the same car as yours.

Yes we always wave, it can however be difficult for yachtsmen to wave and some of the forward steer boats may not see you waving.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always use to wave, but it got to a stage where I wait for them to wave first as it seemed like you are back on the road, you know the ones. It's your right of way, you let them through and they drive past without making a simple acknowledgement. Myself and some of my crew would wave, but sometimes the passing boat would look at us as if, do we know you.

My favourite was a young couple, I waved first and this bloke simply looked at me and gave me the death stare, really strange. The only thing I think it could of been was because I was on one of Barnes finest, and he was on a crappy private boat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High6 said:

On a hire boat it is always gratifying somehow if a privateer waves back. It's been a long time though since we got a salute from an AA man on a m/c combo.

Yes! I remember that as a boy. The AA man on his motorbike would always salute you, in leather gauntlets, if your car carried the AA badge on the "badge bar" in front of the radiator grille.

If he went past and did not salute you, this was a warning that he had seen a police car up ahead.

• Like 2