Boating And Drinking

2 minutes ago, Koolwabbit said:

After following this forum for a number of years one would believe , to be a boaty one must also like their booze. I am a total teetotaller but still let others drink if they want on my boat. What are others thoughts ? 

Nigel

That you so crazy...:default_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

By and large we have a few beers at lunchtime in the pub.Thats it really.I am sure we have seen some that are on the beer/wine eight in the morning,don't  think that' a good idea.

Sorry about that mate, but we wasn't planning on moving moorings that day :default_smiley-angelic002:

34 minutes ago, Koolwabbit said:

After following this forum for a number of years one would believe , to be a boaty one must also like their booze. I am a total teetotaller but still let others drink if they want on my boat. What are others thoughts ? 

Nigel

Just let us all know where you’re moored and the opening times and we will be there 

We too are teetotal. Mainly those that visit us on the boat (or at home) do not expect alcohol whilst with us, although we would have no objection to them bringing their own. We probably wouldn't buy it ourselves as we wouldn't know what to buy! It does seem when there are reports of meets etc. alcohol does seem to play a part. That is no problem to us apart from not being to reciprocate, therefore we usually don't attend (although there are other reasons -time etc). We are quite happy to eat in pubs and we often do so with those who do drink. 

• Like 2

Me too. Attended several NBN meets in the past, but have resisted the temptation to drink. I`m definitely NOT an alcaholic or anything like that, but if i have a drink, just one pint of lager shandy, or a glass of wine, or a bacardi and coke etc, i end up with an excrutiating headache for around 4 days afterwards. 2 weeks ago, we went to a fancy dress party, where i accidentally took a swig of Karens red wine. All the next day (Sunday), i had a throbbing headache. So, i now don`t touch the stuff, as i used to love a glass of Grenache Rose, or a nice refreshing cider.  So if anybody sees us when we`re on Lightning, and you`d love a cuppa, please come and say hello. We`ll be on Lightning from 16th June for a week.

• Like 1

Each to their own I think.

personally I like a social drink, never been able to drink a lot mind,  even when  I was young alcohol didn't agree with me although by the following Friday night I'd forgotten I was ill the week before, repeat repeat. Till I finally saw sense.

i agree drinking to much and being in charge of a boat is dangerous to everyone on board and other vessels out on the river.

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

Each to their own I think.

personally I like a social drink, never been able to drink a lot mind,  even when  I was young alcohol didn't agree with me although by the following Friday night I'd forgotten I was ill the week before, repeat repeat. Till I finally saw sense.

i agree drinking to much and being in charge of a boat is dangerous to everyone on board and other vessels out on the river.

You obviously have much more sense than me Simon, as I never saw sense "growing up" (it's debatable that happened too).

In all seriousness I do agree with you about drinking too much and being in charge of a boat though.

I think being on a boat, drinking a few beers and if hopefully the sun is out, makes a great holiday. Basically you need to know your limits to enjoy yourself, but not to be a nuisance to others trying to enjoy their boating holiday in their own way.

• Like 3

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I did 10 years in the army and loved my booze but one night down the local, having a p**s and in walks the landlord. He says, "love you drinkers, buy a pint then chuck it away in here. Money in my pocket". Not touched a drop since, better things to do with my hard earned cash. Even been called unsociable in the pass.

Nigel

• Like 1

I think the general perception is down to the fact that for most be8ng on a boat is our down time or indeed holiday, anyone that enjoys a tipple even in moderation generally takes a glass or two when relaxing and enjoying life.

I very much enjoy a beer or two when onboard or in a broads pub, but never to excess (since my youth anyway).

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

You obviously have much more sense than me Simon, as I never saw sense "growing up" (it's debatable that happened too).

Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional. 

• Like 4

Well I don't drink that much :default_norty: But for me there's nothing nicer than helming a boat in the sunshine, the roof back and a nice glass of wine. I don't see any harm in it but totally understand you guys that are teetotal. I do believe Jay and Mr Nog are too :facepalm:

Each to their own as Simon said earlier. Just drink responsibly and know your limits I reckon

Grace

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Have to admit that I have often wondered whether there are any "drink-helm" guidelines like the "drink-drive" laws on the road. I appreciate that the same amount of speed is not involved but nonetheless ... we never drink unless we are safely moored up for the rest of the day.

56 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Well I don't drink that much :default_norty: But for me there's nothing nicer than helming a boat in the sunshine, the roof back and a nice glass of wine. I don't see any harm in it but totally understand you guys that are teetotal. I do believe Jay and Mr Nog are too :facepalm:

Each to their own as Simon said earlier. Just drink responsibly and know your limits I reckon

Grace

50 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Have to admit that I have often wondered whether there are any "drink-helm" guidelines like the "drink-drive" laws on the road. I appreciate that the same amount of speed is not involved but nonetheless ... we never drink unless we are safely moored up for the rest of the day.

Wow as I read these posts I began to wonder if a social drink was forbidden.        Half the pleasure of going on a boat is  you can have a glass or two (not the bottle) of your favourite tipple and still cruise along,   saying that I am with Jean here , that it is best if you wait until you are safely moored up.    Lets face it ,  we can alls it up sober let alone after a tipple, especially when strong winds and tides are in the mix, safer all round.

Saw the piccy below some time ago and kept it.        It rather sums things up really.

npmUjbpSWnodrink.jpg

How many people have died as a result of a drunk helmsman?

How many people have been injured as a result of a drunk helmsman?

What percentage of "damage to craft" is down to a drunk helmsman?

Without those figures, speculation about rules for drinking and helming is meaningless.

In my opinion, the idea of even 'actively discouraging'  such behaviour will be detrimental to the broads as a holiday destination. The two go hand in hand for many holiday makers including myself.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The skippers of them sailie things must take a bucketful.

They are all over the place, it's an outrage. These folk have obviously been to the pub, as the folk going to the pub in the other direction seem to take a much straighter line . .

Outrageous behaviour , how do I ban them. :default_smiley-taunt014:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7