Knotted

Poppy

A Bowline, a Figure of Eight, how to tie shoes and how to tie a tie all feature Rabbit rhymes. 

From what I remember  as my sons are now 44 and 42 the shoe tying one is a bit harsh as to finish you "Pull his Ears" really hard.

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Some of us can tie a bowline in the dark too, and without muttering a nursery rhyme, or whatever it is!!!

Ideally behind your back and in a cold shower with the kids or the wife yelling in your ear and the floor at 90 degrees! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wussername said:

If you can't tie knots tie lots
Seems to work for our holiday makers.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

And wrapping the rope around and around the mooring post untill you run out doesn't count as 'tieing a knot. Seen that lots too :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Knots play a big part in the Fire Service and so tying a bowline around someone from behind (oi) whilst blindfolded formed part of my recruits course and early days, along with the muttering of the rhyme to completely throw me out :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

If you can't tie knots tie lots
Seems to work for our holiday makers.

I've certainly been guilty of that.

But I've been reading up on knots so I can do it right.

It all seems very simple.

There are only three knots you need to know for boating. It's just that different sources list different sets of three.

Also, it's very clear that a clove hitch is the best way to tie your boat up, or alternatively is the work of the devil and should never be relied on.

Isn't the internet wonderful?

• Like 2

Uncle Albert was very much into knotting, hitching, splicing and pioneering (building structures out of logs and rope such as towers, bridges, death slides). In his last year when he was at the day centre it was a comical sight to see him sat in the 'knitting circle' with the old ladies. While they were busy knitting, dropping and pearling, Uncle Albert was sat splicing rope with his huge, murderous looking rope knife.

One of his favourite pastimes while mooring up was tying the boat up with a variety of different lockable slip knots. My favourite of his mooring knots was the 'finger trapper'. He reserved this knot for mooring in places where people tend to play with the mooring warps of boats when they've had a few shandies. Anyone undoing a 'finger trapper' without knowing how to undo it, would get a very painful rap across their fingers from a hidden counterweight up the line and the boat would remain safely secured.

I have to admit I don't have any of Uncle Albert's skill with rope but he did teach me rope work and pioneering, much of which I used on a daily basis out in the field and adapted to my career in archaeology. Consequently many of the knots I use will not be instantly recognisable. My round turn and two half hitches confuses the Rangers as I double the rope back on itself before making the knot. I often use a locking highwayman's hitch which really throws some people. My hitches may not be those recommended by the experts but they work for me. They are strong, easily tied and easily undone when needed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Coryton said:

I've certainly been guilty of that.

But I've been reading up on knots so I can do it right.

It all seems very simple.

There are only three knots you need to know for boating. It's just that different sources list different sets of three.

Also, it's very clear that a clove hitch is the best way to tie your boat up, or alternatively is the work of the devil and should never be relied on.

Isn't the internet wonderful?

So long as it doesn't jam, which can be a problem especially when mooring at the top of a falling tide !   

Check out 'round turn and two half hitches' . Very easy to both tie and untie.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Uncle Albert was very much into knotting, hitching, splicing and pioneering (building structures out of logs and rope such as towers, bridges, death slides). In his last year when he was at the day centre it was a comical sight to see him sat in the 'knitting circle' with the old ladies. While they were busy knitting, dropping and pearling, Uncle Albert was sat splicing rope with his huge, murderous looking rope knife.

One of his favourite pastimes while mooring up was tying the boat up with a variety of different lockable slip knots. My favourite of his mooring knots was the 'finger trapper'. He reserved this knot for mooring in places where people tend to play with the mooring warps of boats when they've had a few shandies. Anyone undoing a 'finger trapper' without knowing how to undo it, would get a very painful rap across their fingers from a hidden counterweight up the line and the boat would remain safely secured.

I have to admit I don't have any of Uncle Albert's skill with rope but he did teach me rope work and pioneering, much of which I used on a daily basis out in the field and adapted to my career in archaeology. Consequently many of the knots I use will not be instantly recognisable. My round turn and two half hitches confuses the Rangers as I double the rope back on itself before making the knot. I often use a locking highwayman's hitch which really throws some people. My hitches may not be those recommended by the experts but they work for me. They are strong, easily tied and easily undone when needed.

Round turn and two half hitches on the bight  - the one I always use.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Poppy said:

I bet most of you b****rs  don't have a clue what this is about :default_biggrin::default_norty:

Knot a clue Pops :default_biggrin:

15 hours ago, Poppy said:

And wrapping the rope around and around the mooring post untill you run out doesn't count as 'tieing a knot. Seen that lots too :default_biggrin:

Works for me :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Round turn and two half hitches is the only one I know with confidence. A guy at a boatyard once showed my Mrs this thing where you do something like put one piece of rope under the other then twist over the mooring pole and pull.

She always complains about my round turn and two half hitches when untying but I think that's because she likes to think that she's more of an old salty sea dog than me ☺

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Round turn and two half hitches is the only one I know with confidence. A guy at a boatyard once showed my Mrs this thing where you do something like put one piece of rope under the other then twist over the mooring pole and pull.

Sounds like one method of doing a clove hitch.

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

Check out 'round turn and two half hitches' . Very easy to both tie and untie.

Yes I can do one of those. Not very difficult, and not far off what I would probably have done if I hadn't had any information.

I did find a video showing the "correct" way to tie a boat up on the Broads, which turned out to be a clove hitch. It started by dismissing a beginner's effort as "a few turns and a twist", which looked as if it just needed another half hitch to be perfectly servicable.

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's all in here, folks, read and inwardly digest by next Thursday! 

https://www.liendoanaulac.org/space/references/training/Ashley_Book_Knots.pdf

Ah that will keep me occupied for a while.

I was amused by a recent episode of "Death in Paradise" where the detective had decided to get a boat. He was briefly seen consulting a rather tatty copy of Ashley's Book of Knots.