Every Boat Should Have One!

vanessan

On three mornings this week I have found a little spot of spider poo on the toilet lid. (We seem to be in WC mode today for some reason!) Try as I might, I cannot find the culprit so he’s hidden himself away somewhere. However, I think he must be a house-trained spider as he has tried to use the loo, he just hasn’t noticed the lid is down!  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:🕷

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

On three mornings this week I have found a little spot of spider poo on the toilet lid. (We seem to be in WC mode today for some reason!) Try as I might, I cannot find the culprit so he’s hidden himself away somewhere. However, I think he must be a house-trained spider as he has tried to use the loo, he just hasn’t noticed the lid is down!  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:🕷

Get your own back. Find it's web and crap in it :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

So, can someone enlighten me on what spider poo actually looks like?

Or is this thread just a big leg-pull? (Of course that never happens on NBN!)

22 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Little raised black spots that are a bu**er to shift !!

Sums it up although I have never found it too difficult to shift with warm water.  Curtains collect spider poo in particular I find but it all comes out in the washing machine. 
As if this could possibly be a leg-pull!!

I found the little b****r yesterday, he’s now camping somewhere on the riverbank. In fact he could be heading for his next boat, maybe yours...............:default_rofl:

• Haha 2

Before my husband introduced me to boating I used to be  absolutely petrified of spiders and would even sense if there was one around before I saw it. The sight of one would have me leaving he room fast! As most of you will have discovered spiders are omnipresent on boats and  getting off in a hurry is not always an option so I had to learn to live with their presence with the result  I am no longer nearly as terrified of them  - although I do still dislike them immensely. We have found a few conkers placed around the boat tended to keep them at bay.

Carole

Just be thankful we don't have the nasty b****rs prevalent in Australia. My neighbour's son was helping out on a ranch there during his gap year. While collecting something from a barn, he got a spider bite. Thinking nothing of it, he carried on with what he was doing, but mentioned it, with a laugh to his chargehand. Who, on seeing his arm swelling, went white, and got him in the van and straight back to the ranch house where there was kept anti-spider venom injections. That administered it was straight off to the nearest hospital, where he stayed overnight for observation, with a nasty fever. No long-term repercussions, but I don't worry so much about our friendly little visitors now!

• Sad 3

With the exception of Ellie's dad, all of her family are petrified of spiders. I put this down to Granddad forcing them to 'appreciate' spiders by making them hold them. When I say petrified...I mean totally and utterly terrified. So it was with great delight that I discovered that my grandson Arlo is NOT terrified of spiders. He LOVES spidey. If he sees a spider, or something that looks like a spider, he will pick it up and bring it to show you. You know when Arlo has found 'spidey' by the screams from the rest of the family.
"Is everything all right?" I ask one and a half year old Arlo.
"Spidey!" he says and then flashes a big grin.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

With the exception of Ellie's dad, all of her family are petrified of spiders. I put this down to Granddad forcing them to 'appreciate' spiders by making them hold them. When I say petrified...I mean totally and utterly terrified. So it was with great delight that I discovered that my grandson Arlo is NOT terrified of spiders. He LOVES spidey. If he sees a spider, or something that looks like a spider, he will pick it up and bring it to show you. You know when Arlo has found 'spidey' by the screams from the rest of the family.
"Is everything all right?" I ask one and a half year old Arlo.
"Spidey!" he says and then flashes a big grin.

See Anyone Afloat This Weekend 26/5/19

Neither Katie or myself are lovers of the eight legged beasts , tried various methods of keeping them at bay , even purchased some “spider away spray” which was rubbish , then at a May NBN the wonderful Pauline (Polly) mentioned to Kate that the best way to deal with one was to don a marigold glove and simply pick it up and cast overboard , all I can say is thank you thank you !!!! works wonderfully, amazing that a thin rubber layer removes all the phobia and allows us to deal with spiders simply and efficiently 

On 13/10/2019 at 11:33, addicted said:

Before my husband introduced me to boating I used to be  absolutely petrified of spiders and would even sense if there was one around before I saw it. The sight of one would have me leaving he room fast! As most of you will have discovered spiders are omnipresent on boats and  getting off in a hurry is not always an option so I had to learn to live with their presence with the result  I am no longer nearly as terrified of them  - although I do still dislike them immensely. We have found a few conkers placed around the boat tended to keep them at bay.

Carole

I used to be terrified of them too but nearly 40 years of boating has, to a large extent, cured me. I wouldn’t be without our Lakeland Spidercatcher though, we have them at home and one on the boat. No need to get too near the blighter, just suck it up into the tube, replace the bung and deposit on the riverbank or wherever when possible. Also useful for flies, wasps, moths etc etc. We don’t kill any living insects (apart from mosquitoes as they’re nasty vicious things) as we think they all have their functions in life. I notice Lakeland aren’t doing them anymore but these are similar:

https://www.thebestthingsdirect.co.uk/bug--buster----vacuum-spider-catcher-8174-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3CN3SdETLqVva1xBCPymBkqkh4iXSogGBQ9q9kLaFAqP9T4U8nxQ48aApdvEALw_wcB

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I used to be terrified of them too but nearly 40 years of boating has, to a large extent, cured me. I wouldn’t be without our Lakeland Spidercatcher though, we have them at home and one on the boat. No need to get too near the blighter, just suck it up into the tube, replace the bung and deposit on the riverbank or wherever when possible. Also useful for flies, wasps, moths etc etc. We don’t kill any living insects (apart from mosquitoes as they’re nasty vicious things) as we think they all have their functions in life. I notice Lakeland aren’t doing them anymore but these are similar:

https://www.thebestthingsdirect.co.uk/bug--buster----vacuum-spider-catcher-8174-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3CN3SdETLqVva1xBCPymBkqkh4iXSogGBQ9q9kLaFAqP9T4U8nxQ48aApdvEALw_wcB

Got one, useless, not enough power

I find a pint glass will usually fit over most spiders, but sometimes it is a close call we found one in the utility room sink a few weeks ago, I ended up having to use a vase type pint pot with the larger rim to go over that one, normally I just catch them in my hand, but I was a bit wary of that one.

Regards

Alan 

41 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I respectfully suggest you are not using it correctly or it needs a new battery. We have been using them for 10 years at least and have no problem at all. Great gadgets.

Can't put newer than new in and I use duracell, supposed to be the best and since the three bites I've had they just get splattered