Corona Virus

Paul

The message is starting to get through. Although hardware stores have been spared from being forced to close, B+Q have chosen to close today so they can make arrangement to open tomorrow supplying only essential items. I guess that is to stop scenes similar to those witnessed over the weekend, being repeated at DIY stores as people flock to buy essentials such as new curtains, wallpaper and paint. I suspect they will close non essential aisles and leave just the essential repair items available for sale. Be a tough decision working out what is essential and non essential.

Even the Homebase website is down for now, presumably whilst they work out what is essential should you choose click and collect. 

Sadly there are still a lot of people still crammed in tube trains this morning. Maybe the idea of an ID card was not such a bad idea as I'm sure most of those were not essential workers. London is going to get so bad.

Colin :default_winko:

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

they are telling us to make fewer shopping visits, but then restricting to 2 or 3 of each item, if i do a weeks shop, there are items i will want one a day of, so that is now making me shop more often than i did before.

Took two 1L bottles of milk to the checkout only to be told that I could only have one, changed them for one 2L bottle and that was ok.

Before anyone asks why, it is easier for me to stock the smaller bottles.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

not a lot of use if it will fail due to a cracked screen, as far as i can tell the windscreen place is a one man franchise, so fingers crossed.

So now everyone is on lockdown, what about all the people who normally park overnight in areas that are no parking during the day, are they now all going to get parking tickets, because they are locked down and not using their car, that normally goes with them to work.

all sorts of questions like that spring to mind.

Southend Council have now suspended parking restrictions. I'm sure others will follow in due course.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18329741.coronavirus-southend-council-lifts-yellow-line-restrictions/

Hi grendal. Have to agree. I can get through 3 tins of plum toms in less than a week. In like people in houses we have limited storage on board but we have stores on both boats and haven't even touched what's on Lady Linda yet. We haven't stockpiled but think we could go at least a month or more without leaving the boat. 

One thing that we will all notice is just how long some food will keep. 

Food for thought :default_biggrin: ..........:default_coat:

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, marshman said:

Thanks guys - I'm off!!!!!!

Well actually not today as I just about finished the inside yesterday, apart from the berth cushions. I then have to start on the outside and I keep looking for reasons not to do that - it will require sometime due to the green growth overwinter!

Posted on the Broads Authority FB page an hour ago: "We fully agree that travelling on the rivers constitutes non-essential travel, unless it is for supplies/fuel or is in exceptional individual circumstances."

Just saying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Posted on the Broads Authority FB page an hour ago: "We fully agree that travelling on the rivers constitutes non-essential travel, unless it is for supplies/fuel or is in exceptional individual circumstances."

I guess that would cover the live-aboards who move from place to place?

Regretting panick buying the 350 toilet rolls as the pile has collapsed behind the toilet door preventing me from getting in there and I'm now desperate for a crap.

Unfortunately I live in a flat above Gregg's and have no garden, any suggestions?   :default_blush:  :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, grendel said:

Paladin, i think Marshman was just going to go to his boat to do some work, not head out sailing in it, thats how it came across to me anyway

I didn't intend to go too deeply into this, but, from the UK Government web site:

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons.

● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.

● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

● Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.

● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

2 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I didn't intend to go too deeply into this, but, from the UK Government web site:

● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.

● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

However Michael Gove has already clarified on BBC news this morning that people who go to their allotment and dig it over or what ever they do, will be allowed to continue as this is a form of exercise. By their very nature they are reasonably separate but you should still obey the 2 metre social distancing if there are others on their allotment. He felt that was ok under the one form of exercise per day. If you live reasonably close to the boat, then working on the boat could be considered a form of exercise? One key difference granted is that working on an allotment you are potentially going to be growing something that you could eat, but still the advice coming from officials is leading to mixed messages.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paladin said:

They seem to have copied that one direct from the French. See my post on the other thread.

Albion is probably painted and rarin' to go but like all responsible operators, and confirmed elsewhere, the Trust has put the season on hold and it will reconsider the position in early June. Equally at least I am doing something productive by suggesting to going to wok on my boat - I cannot do that from home. 

( Just to say for the record, I  could actually disagree with the BA (or Boris) on this issue as it relates to some individuals. We have established that as an individual who can easily do without being in contact with anyone else I am not much of a risk to others,  so why does my travelling on the river alone constitute a risk? Surely the "unnecessary travel" bit is all to do with reducing risk to others but where is the risk if I come into contact with no one other than myself? I can go by car up my allotment alone and dig it, but not go on a river? Still note my first comment and make the most of it!! )

• Like 3

Just now, marshman said:

so why does my travelling on the river alone constitute a risk? Surely the "unnecessary travel" bit is all to do with reducing risk to others but where is the risk if I come into contact with no one other than myself?

I suspect part of risk not only applies to the risk of the virus, but the risk of requiring medical assistance, If (not saying that you may) fall in and need an ambulance then you are taking resource away from the NHS. Thus walking etc is lower risk of needing help. 

21 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Regretting panick buying the 350 toilet rolls as the pile has collapsed behind the toilet door preventing me from getting in there and I'm now desperate for a crap.

Unfortunately I live in a flat above Gregg's and have no garden, any suggestions?   :default_blush:  :default_biggrin:

Nick a parking cone,.turn it upside down and put a bin liner inside. :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, grendel said:

if it wasnt for the upcoming MOT due i could wait for the windscreen.

Whereabouts/how big is the crack Grendel? The regs are quite a bit more relaxed these days, if it doesnt directly affect your view of the road it could pass with a minor.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

Of course it will be down the individual tester to make the decision.

4 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Whereabouts/how big is the crack Grendel? The regs are quite a bit more relaxed these days, if it doesnt directly affect your view of the road it could pass with a minor.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

Of course it will be down the individual tester to make the decision.

Assuming that you have glass cover, have you tried phoning your insurance co ?

17 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

I suspect part of risk not only applies to the risk of the virus, but the risk of requiring medical assistance, If (not saying that you may) fall in and need an ambulance then you are taking resource away from the NHS. Thus walking etc is lower risk of needing help. 

Yes, sure, but if modern-day " elf'n safety" had anything to do with it, we would never dare get out of bed in the morning.

• Like 1