Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Whilst in general I think our government are doing a reasonably good job recent advice has been a little contradictory. Only yesterday the Prime Minister said that it was important to get outside, going for a walk etc was important for our physical and mental well being but then in the next breath said we should not leave or homes unless absolutely necessary. 

Bear in mind these times are almost unprecedented. You can have as many experts as you like but it's still largely make it up as you go along. I thought Boris looked really tired and haggard yesterday. We should remember the strain that this puts on those in charge before we choose to be too critical. 

I hope the Coronavirus bill will cover the actions of children not in school. I drove in to town this morning to get bread and milk and the local park was packed, lots of groups of children hanging around. Jamie is home schooling as of today, he has work tasks set by his teacher plus lessons I will set for him in areas where he needs to catch up a bit. I do wonder at parents letting their kids congregate at this time. 

What a disgrace for parents to allow children to gather  In a park!  Crass stupidity! What do they imagine is the purpose of keeping them off school ?  I despair of people in general today. I constantly wonder what planet they're from. They'll be the first to loudly  mourn the loss of their freedom of choice if the law steps in to marshal them into responsible behaviour, having themselves thrown  it away by  selfish misuse.

Carole

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, addicted said:

What a disgrace for parents to allow children to gather  In a park! 

Controlling a willful young teenager is a problem at the best of times! Expecting them to hibernate rather than join their friends must put the aggro on to another level for some folk, especially in crowded housing.

Couldn’t agree more , , experts drafted in have no political affiliations and it is their advice that is being followed by the government , as indeed it would have been whomever was at the helm in this crisis.

As long as we follow the advice given , keep an eye on those around us without family support and put our faith in those better qualified than us we will get through this .

finally a big thank you to those who are in the frontline at the moment putting others before themselves 

THANK YOU

• Like 6

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I do wonder how the syndicate boats will survive. Not being businesses as such I don't suppose that government support of any kind will be available. I expect that all up-front costs have been covered but I suppose that allocated weeks will be lost and maybe service companies will step back.  

Hello Peter,

With regards to our syndicate we will leave it down to individual owners if they use there allocations or not. With the likes of Richardson's and NBD cancelling their current hires or deferring them to later in the year some of the smaller operators may follow suit such as Brooms, if the hire side of their business is closed how long will the fuel station remain open bearing  in mind that it only re-opened a couple of weeks ago. Other fuel stations on the rivers will follow suit and toilet pumping will cease. If the government tightens down the lock-down or restricts travelling or classifies boating in the same light as Caravan Parks then all of our time on the Broads will be restricted.

Regards

Alan

We have to remember that homosapien is a social creature, and we cannot isolate completely, the effect on our social well being would be huge, but there are right ways and wrong ways of doing things, and gathering in large groups is well into the wrong. Jamie has had home school lessons this morning and we have been down to the community garden this afternoon. The park was empty as we walked back so we stopped for ten minutes to let him run some energy off.

• Like 1

I’ve just been reading of a school in Essex that has had all the food stolen from its freezers, fridges and store - food that was going to feed the children of key workers this week. I despair of some of these so called ‘human beings’, I really hope the law is able to track down those responsible and punish them. Big time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Peter,

With regards to our syndicate we will leave it down to individual owners if they use there allocations or not. With the likes of Richardson's and NBD cancelling their current hires or deferring them to later in the year some of the smaller operators may follow suit such as Brooms, if the hire side of their business is closed how long will the fuel station remain open bearing  in mind that it only re-opened a couple of weeks ago. Other fuel stations on the rivers will follow suit and toilet pumping will cease. If the government tightens down the lock-down or restricts travelling or classifies boating in the same light as Caravan Parks then all of our time on the Broads will be restricted.

Regards

Alan

Ferry Marina are still doing pump-outs at the moment. Boulter's at Horning and Sutton Staithe Boatyard are still providing all their usual services, repairs/pump-outs/diesel, and will continue to do so, subject to government direction to the contrary.

We received our first Tesco order this afternoon. Apart from the fact that they sent us 3 packs of oranges when I ordered one, we got pretty much everything else that we had ordered including a pack of toilet rolls. Flushed with success or what?:default_biggrin:

Don't know if I posted on here on this post but I feel I must apologise for the twaddle I fell for and put on here. Apparently after I tackled my daughter in law she reckons she heard it on the radio. Lesson learnt not to take at face value everything that is put in front of you. Sorry.

M

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Bear in mind these times are almost unprecedented. You can have as many experts as you like but it's still largely make it up as you go along. I thought Boris looked really tired and haggard yesterday. We should remember the strain that this puts on those in charge before we choose to be too critical. 

He did look tired, and what surprises me is how the senior people, who are meant to be steering us through this still congregate on a daily basis for press briefings, both in this country and elswhere.  Maybe wearing a suit confers immunity, but I wouldn't like to see our senior leaders fall under the proverbial bus by failing to observe social distancing themselves. Time to dig out the video-conferencing kit methinks. 

45 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Don't know if I posted on here on this post but I feel I must apologise for the twaddle I fell for and put on here. Apparently after I tackled my daughter in law she reckons she heard it on the radio. Lesson learnt not to take at face value everything that is put in front of you. Sorry.

Thank you very much for your courtesy. It takes courage to apologise, even if it may not have been your fault.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Absolutely no need to apologize. You were passing on information which you thought would benefit others. It won't be the last time erroneous information escapes into the community.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, BCBM have finally contacted syndicate members to advise that we shouldn’t be travelling down to our boats. I had been naively thinking that a week on Moonlight Shadow could be a fairly socially isolating holiday, particularly if we wiped down surfaces when we took over and left. I know...I was being a bit daft. I’ll be disappointed to miss our week in early May, but I can see the reasoning. After all, the boat isn’t going to pump out itself! The way some people appear to have been carrying on over the last few days of good weather has been crazy. The crowds at some beach resorts! 

At least we have the allotment. We took it on last year, but only managed to get half of it cultivated...the other half had been neglected for years and trees were encroaching. Have made some good progress this weekend. We have chatted to some fellow plot holders but we are all being careful to keep a good distance from each other. 

• Like 3

YnysMon, I would stick to the allotment if I was you. It's exercise all that digging.If you are worried about your boat then call the yard where you keep it and get them to check on it for you. After all isn't that part of what you pay for?

Fortunately for us Lady Linda is moored alongside The Green Lady ( our residential boat ) otherwise she would have been on our mooring at St Olaves. This does mean we only have to step from home to holiday without any travelling but, presuming we can stay well, I will use the time to make further improvements to Lady Linda and as for our mooring at St Olaves, the grass will just have to grow.

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 1

Well, just as joe public finally seems to be taking notice someone is busy bolting the stable door... are airports now shut for non-essential travel or are they being kept open for key workers In which case such flights could be chartered. I hope the builders merchant at the end of my road is shut tomorrow, it’s been heaving with 2 man gangs all day, perhaps they were tipped off by the owner that they would be closing in the near future? Praying the tide turns for the better ASAP, victims being cremated with no funerals and loved ones present to say cheerio is unimaginable. The damage is being done and businesses are being thwacked broadside. Can it get worse I wonder?

16 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't paid my Tolls up a couple of days ago !

I wonder if BA will consider reducing some of our tolls.As of today as I said I will have to stay at home until at least the middle of June.The last time we used the boat was the end of October. 

• Haha 1