Corona Virus

Paul

Very disappointing on our Grove last night.  Less than half the dwellings were showing support - a poor show imho 

No doubt once it's all over a&e will still be full of gobby abusive pond life on a Friday night but we can only hope for a change in attitudes

Oh, we can but hope

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was upstairs with my children building a make shift campsite and a tent out of old sheets when my eldest reminded me "Mummy don't forget we have to clap for the Nurses"  So proud of him. Lots of people came out, lots of noise and cheering. Neighbours waving to each other too

Good old British spirit :default_icon_clap:

Jay and Grace x

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Helen says that one of the most difficult things for them at the moment is that parents can no longer visit their children in hospital, virus or not.

Thank goodness for Facetime! Does't replace a hug and just being together but it is contact.

One of my four is a prescribing/consulting pharmacist at a local hospital. She is resigned to the probable fact that she will inevitably become infected and then will be cut off from her two, wonderful young boys, that is her greatest dread. Despite that she is still working, indeed working longer shifts, bless her.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

When I first heard "clap for carers" I thought blimey don't they have enough infectious disease to cope with.

Now that really is black humour!  But I appreciate it all the same and I know my daughter would.

We must try to see the funny side, in these times, as that will help to see us through!

Just as it did for our parents, in Wartime.

• Like 3

As I said on another thread my wife is an ANP in a doctors surgery, she now leaves the house at 7.30am and doesn't return before 8pm, she should be home at 5.30pm

My daughter is a carer at a Nursing Home, she should have been on annual leave all week but has been in for three 12 hour shifts because they were short staffed

I am so proud of them both!

All I do to make money, sometimes I feel the rewards are wrongly distributed

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tim said:

As I said on another thread my wife is an ANP in a doctors surgery, she now leaves the house at 7.30am and doesn't return before 8pm, she should be home at 5.30pm

My daughter is a carer at a Nursing Home, she should have been on annual leave all week but has been in for three 12 hour shifts because they were short staffed

I am so proud of them both!

All I do to make money, sometimes I feel the rewards are wrongly distributed

You are rightly proud of them both, I don't know them but I am proud of them too. Stay safe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One way we can help the NHS is not adding to the problem. Notwithstanding the borders remaining open it looks like flights in and out of Norwich may finally have halted. If they haven’t then an update from the local media would be appreciated to understand the criticality from a public health risk point of view, economic justification holds no water given the gravity of the situation, we all want this ill cured to prevent further losses of loved ones. If the flights are to assist with averting the health risk then I applaud the brave pilots and co pilots who are putting themselves at risk to help us.

• Like 1

Is it me? And that's a serious not rhetorical question, that finds the apparent need of "personalities" to record the action of them applauding our health workers the other evening and posting the results to all available social media platforms just a little bit "off". At 8pm on Thursday we duly drew back the bolts, unhooked the chain, turned the lock and opened our front door. We made it out onto the step and as a family we applauded our legion of health and care workers. A stirring round of applause could be heard ringing our over the village. Afterward we closed the door and got on with not getting on with our lives. 

I didn't feel the need to record the performance, even though it was obviously something of a momentous occasion. I'm closer to the coffin than the cot and it's the first time in my life such a thing has happened, it might be the only time. We felt it was the right and proper thing to do but I didn't need to video it and post it on facebook. That just smacks of point scoring to me, of making this about you and not the Doctors, nurses, carers and everyone else we were there to appreciate. 

Or is that just me?

• Like 9

not just you, it seems to me that celebrities and politicians cant just do the right thing, they have to arrange that it is recorded that they are doing the right thing, which then begs the question, are they doing it because its the right thing to do, or just to promote themselves as being seen to be doing the right thing?

• Like 5

I don't mind seeing our "Leaders" on the news, doing what they should be doing and leading the country in this demonstration of support. I have no issue with news cameras showing The Prime Minister, Liz'beth and Phil, even the leader of HM's opposition whoever that is nowadays.

But I can do without point scoring A listers (or even B C or D listers)

• Like 6

My theory, coronavirus causes death. Not sure but i believe the cause of death is due to difficulty to breathe.  Is it not possible that air polution is the real danger. Wuhan , London,  New York, Italy, Spain are all high risk polution areas. where as Germany has a very low polution record. Maybe that is why we are being told to stay indoors. Maybe covid19 is as simple as flu but because it attacks the lungs and we are all affected by air polution the death rate is high.

Just a thought, Nigel

For the younger ones with no underlying health isssues I do wonder if it's the 3 showers a day, anti-bac everything, and never touched anything vaguely dirty crowd that are taking the brunt by their own immune system doing more damage than the virus.

I'm sure localised air pollution can affect the outcome but it's the population density that creates so many cases in those areas, until blanket antibody testing is done the true death per case figures just can't be known.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Koolwabbit said:

My theory, coronavirus causes death. Not sure but i believe the cause of death is due to difficulty to breathe.  Is it not possible that air polution is the real danger. Wuhan , London,  New York, Italy, Spain are all high risk polution areas. where as Germany has a very low polution record. Maybe that is why we are being told to stay indoors. Maybe covid19 is as simple as flu but because it attacks the lungs and we are all affected by air polution the death rate is high.

Just a thought, Nigel

It's much more virulent the other flus have been.

A quote from Prof John Wilson, president-elect of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a respiratory physician:

"Almost all serious consequences of Covid-19 feature pneumonia."

"When people with Covid-19 develop a cough and fever, this is a result of the infection reaching the respiratory tree – the air passages that conduct air between the lungs and the outside.

“The lining of the respiratory tree becomes injured, causing inflammation. This in turn irritates the nerves in the lining of the airway. Just a speck of dust can stimulate a cough.

“But if this gets worse, it goes past just the lining of the airway and goes to the gas exchange units, which are at the end of the air passages.

“If they become infected they respond by pouring out inflammatory material into the air sacs that are at the bottom of our lungs.”

"If the air sacs then become inflamed, this causes an outpouring of inflammatory material [fluid and inflammatory cells] into the lungs and we end up with pneumonia.”

"lungs that become filled with inflammatory material are unable to get enough oxygen to the bloodstream, reducing the body’s ability to take on oxygen and get rid of carbon dioxide".

“That’s the usual cause of death with severe pneumonia.”

• Thanks 1

yes I dont think the virus is the direct cause, it is the pneumonia that  achieves that, my daughter is taking great care at the moment as any cough inevitably heads down onto her chest, she is not going out, and is sending me to do her shopping. she has been at home two and a half weeks now, i am only heading to the shops once a week, and being very careful