Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

My daughter who works for a major supermarket spent all of Saturday interviewing 30 people for jobs taking on 23 - If all stores doing this it should improve as when busy all hands to the tills to prevent people having to wait, leaving nobody to do daytime re-stocking & there is not enough time & people to re-stock overnight when they are shifting 50% more stock than an average day.They had been expecting the situation to even up after the first rush but as said people are getting greedy/panicking

12 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

My daughter who works for a major supermarket spent all of Saturday interviewing 30 people for jobs taking on 23 - If all stores doing this it should improve as when busy all hands to the tills to prevent people having to wait, leaving nobody to do daytime re-stocking & there is not enough time & people to re-stock overnight when they are shifting 50% more stock than an average day.They had been expecting the situation to even up after the first rush but as said people are getting greedy/panicking

John Lewis are closing their retail stores tomorrow and most of the staff are being transferred to work at Waitrose.

• Like 1

I think theres a difference between allowing enough for yourself and also if you are buying for someone who is unable to do so themselves. Then the few that sadly buy up the shop just because  it's there.Great on the supermarkets that are setting  aside time slots for the most in need.Clearly if more people have to stay at home more home deliverys will be needed.

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I tell you what - this forum has been an awful lot more active than usual, for a winter Sunday morning!

Thass loik wot they say in Norfolk :

"Hint yew got nuthun else ter dew, boi?"

And please please please keep it up! I too am one of the old codgers with underlying conditions who is under house arrest! I need pages and forums like this to read and keep my spirits up. So, please keep it coming! Thanks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I think theres a difference between allowing enough for yourself and also if you are buying for someone who is unable to do so themselves. Then the few that sadly buy up the shop just because  it's there.Great on the supermarkets that are setting  aside time slots for the most in need.Clearly if more people have to stay at home more home deliverys will be needed.

My local Tesco is setting aside an hour for the vulnerable, from 9 -10am. Guess what happens between 8 and 9am :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

19 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Clinical Director for Scotland this morning said that a booked holiday in the UK is probably fine - the NHS expect some movement particularly during the holiday. So my week in Easter looks okay - I'm a teacher so think this one is particularly needed. What they don't want is people moving full time to self isolate.

However, as others have said, the country may go into full lock down. Will the holiday of two teachers still be considered essential travel...?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I tell you what - this forum has been an awful lot more active than usual, for a winter Sunday morning!

Thass loik wot they say in Norfolk :

"Hint yew got nuthun else ter dew, boi?"

I don't know where your living now Vaughan but it is definitely Spring here. Both the astrological and metrological Springs have arrived now. Having been cutting the grass this afternoon in the sun it is starting to feel a little Spring like as well.

25 minutes ago, chameleon said:

special-time-for-the-nhs.jpeg

My daughter and son in law (as well as Katie) are all frontline staff working directly with covid-19 patients in critical care ,this morning my daughter joined a queue of 500+ at the local Tesco’s to her , due to volume in the store her and about 200 were asked not to enter till 10:00 when the checkouts had opened by which time the store was open to the general public who barged past everyone and stripped the shelves bare , I have spent the last few hours seeking out nappies and other basic essentials for her .

To all of those muppets that are still stock piling DONT !! There is enough to go round if you only buy what you need and don’t deprive those that are in need of the chance 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

sainsburys;-

We have therefore decided to allow NHS and social care workers to shop in our supermarkets for half an hour before they open each day. So anyone with NHS ID will be able to shop from 07.30-08.00 every day from Monday to Saturday. We’re delighted to be able to offer priority shopping to all the hard-working NHS staff across the country who are working so hard to keep us all safe and well.

In addition to this, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all our supermarkets will dedicate 8.00-9.00 to serving elderly customers, disabled customers and carers.

12 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I don't know where your living now Vaughan but it is definitely Spring here. Both the astrological and metrological Springs have arrived now. Having been cutting the grass this afternoon in the sun it is starting to feel a little Spring like as well.

I haven't said anything about my situation up to now but perhaps it is worth comparison.

Here in France, all the pubs and restaurants closed as of last Sunday night. Macron gave a speech on Monday evening, which closed everything else as of Tuesday midday. Since then, I can only leave my house for 4 reasons and I have to fill in a form on line which I sign and carry with me, to justify my reason for being out. If not I would be fined by the Gendarmerie and possibly arrested. This applies to in a car, or on foot.

For Susie and I this is no problem. I have not left the house since Monday and have no intention of doing so for at least another 4 days, when we might be in danger of running out of cheese! We are regular customers of a frozen food company called Argel, who are still doing phone deliveries.

Only certain shops are allowed to open and only certain people are allowed to travel to work, if they are in a job which cannot be done from home. It is a bit like having a wartime "reserved occupation".

They are calling this the "confinement" and we don't know long it will last but at least until early April. There was no panic buying in supermarkets before this happened and there is still none now, so I am told.

I am telling you this because it will probably happen in GB, maybe next week. So get ready for it!

There is one piece of good news - at least it has finally killed off the "gilet jaune" movement! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I have a Nephew who lives with his partner in Tenerife. Both work in the supermarket business, He works until 11pm some nights two and a half miles away. For her safety she takes the family car. Finishes work at 7pm , She cannot go and pick him up from work as they are enforcing One per car law.

So he has to walk from the next town home. So far this past week he has been stopped and asked for his papers and why he is out, 4 times.

She put up a message on FB

My Darling we live together. We sleep together. But, I'm sorry I cannot pick you up in the car!

• Like 1

In case you don't believe me, here is the form that has to be filled in, by anyone who is out of their home for whatever reason. 

It is known jokingly as the "permis virus" as your risk of infection is not in the least diminished, because you are carrying the little piece of paper!

1083532918_permisvirus.thumb.jpeg.a54720ac1e448e9e9067860be0c86416.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Vaughan, I think that gives us a taste of what's to come. My French isn't brilliant so Vaughan please correct me if necessary:

1-Work that can't be done at home

2-Purchase necessities from shops allowed to be open

3-Health reasons

4-Assisting vulnerable people and children

5-Briefly,close to home for individual exercise, excluding group sports and activities but including exercising animals.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Thanks Vaughan, I think that gives us a taste of what's to come. My French isn't brilliant so Vaughan please correct me if necessary:

1-Work that can't be done at home

2-Purchase necessities from shops allowed to be open

3-Health reasons

4-Assisting vulnerable people and children

5-Briefly,close to home for individual exercise, excluding group sports and activities but including exercising animals.

Dead right! Well done Simon! :default_icon_clap:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VetChugger said:

And please please please keep it up! I too am one of the old codgers with underlying conditions who is under house arrest! I need pages and forums like this to read and keep my spirits up. So, please keep it coming! Thanks.

Take a peek here to relieve some boredom Trev, it may be a bike forum but Tod is a pretty good writer, topping the ton was good and the new story is shaping up, I will read the second bit later.

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?s=74ea67f4f4565da8964b259f026bcb2c&showforum=55

Hope this doesn't break any rules as it's not a boaty/broadsy forum.

There is now more than £1 billion extra food stored in larders around the country.

Imagine if a directive came out tomorrow that you must give all your savings to the supermarkets, what an outcry that would cause but people are giving it voluntary.

The more empty shelves shown by the press the emptier they will get.

paul

I popped into Morrison’s today as I happened to be passing and noticed it wasn’t too busy.  Apart from no eggs and bread running a little low we’re ok for food despite 2 x teens and a 6 year old who could give a plague of locusts a run for their money!  Still no eggs, toilet roll or medicines and while stocks were a tad low there was a lot more on the shelves than I was expecting.  Hopefully the idiots have realised there will be enough food !!