Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

46 minutes ago, marshman said:

Looks as though the rivers will be eerily quiet for those with their own boat and who live pretty local.

But how long will the service facilities to support them be open. With an empty diesel tank and full foul tank not many will be making use of the rivers. I hope the BA consider and somehow make provisions for the people who only have one home, which just so happens to be their boat. Perhaps even consider making sure that the pump out facilities at Yarmouth and reconsider opening Norwich just for pumpouts and water for those who's only home is afloat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, marshman said:

Me too! 

It does just occur to me whether yards will still do pumpouts but i guess the bigger yards at least will keep staff on, especially as they will be claiming the salaries etc

I'm sorry but who is going to need a pumpout other than those that live on a boat ? , If the lockdown when it comes is anything like the one in France then it won't be possible to just go for a jaunt down the river it would be breaking the rules .

Obviously if you live in the boat it's your primary residence and if your a continuous cruiser or whatever you no doubt will be allowed to move the vessel to obtain water, fuel , pumpout or food , only those vessels would I believe be granted an exception .

The whole point of the lockdown is to stop the virus potentially moving around , hence cruising for just pleasure is highly unlikely to be allowed , now it's not clear what the penaltys would be for infringement but I'd be surprised if it's not a police matter of a certain level of importance given the circumstances .

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Looks as though the rivers will be eerily quiet for those with their own boat and who live pretty local.

I you read Richardson's notice to the bottom, they are also asking private berth holders to not visit the yard. Will other yards follow on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

I you read Richardson's notice to the bottom, they are also asking private berth holders to not visit the yard. Will other yards follow on this?

Confirmation of RS2021's post.

Screenshot_20200323-114357_Chrome.jpg

Can't be much fun with pubs and restaurants closed except for takeaway services in some cases and shops holding limited stock. We are staying away from our boat until things return to some kind of normal. No point in putting ourselves or other people in the firing line. Still, at least the weather has been good.

• Like 3

BCBM has sent an email to all their owners (Broads and Canals) advising not to travel.

"Based on this latest information, we are advising all owners not to travel to their boats. The safety of our owners and our staff is our primary concern. Many marinas are also now on lock down and not allowing anyone in unless they are a liveaboard at the marina with access to their primary homes."

Fred

• Like 1

Another angle on living near by and using your own boat. I have just been reading how stretched mountain rescue volunteer teams became this weekend, unusually busy at the same time as some volunteers having to self isolate.

I live a 15 minute drive from my boat and had been thinking that after a bit of maintenance is completed I could drive door to door with supplies I already have. 

But who can "guarantee" they won't have an accident or medical emergency? It is not fair on our first class off shore and inland waterways rescue volunteers.

Reluctantly I won't take her out now... no one said doing the right thing is easy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ray said:

I have just been reading how stretched mountain rescue volunteer teams became this weekend, unusually busy at the same time as some volunteers having to self isolate.

Not just because of self isolation. One team leader was saying some of their normal members have regular jobs as key workers, some in the NHS, so are unable to join the volunteer rescue teams at the moment.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Whats the difference in mooring my boat on the riverbank and walking along a path on the riverbank ? Is all country walking to be banned?

You don't walk along the river bank at 2am but on a boat you could have a medical emergency at that time. A riverbank path is usually pretty well defined and in most circumstances you are unlikely to slip off and possibly drown. If you do have an accident on a riverbank it is unlikely that you will have to be located in the dark.

Quite a few differences if you think about it!

• Like 1

In reality it was just that I was thinking about the volunteer emergency services that come out to help us when these unfortunate things happen. Many of them have day jobs in the NHS or as Paramedics etc. and additionally some are bound to be in quarantine themselves. Anything that just may stop them being called out has to be for the good. 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

An update copied over from our social media for interest. There is some overlap here with what was in the original post and what has been already discussed in this thread.

A further update is expected tomorrow 24/03.

1. Following on from the Government’s latest guidance on social distancing in relation to COVID-19, people should avoid travelling unless it is essential.

'Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.' - UK Government, 22 March.

There is currently no Government-enforced travel ban. The waterways remain open for access should it be required, we are not in a position to be able to close the river system.

Social distancing measures are steps you should take to reduce social interaction between people that will help reduce the transmission of Coronavirus. Please read the Government advice regarding essential travel, social distancing and self-isolation and take appropriate action (available on our web page below).

2. A number of boatyards have temporarily closed with immediate effect, including Richardson's, Norfolk Broads Direct, Broads Tours, Waveney River Centre, Barnes Brinkcraft, Herbert Woods, Freedom Cruisers and Sanderson Marine. Many of these closures extend to the end of April 2020 at the earliest.

Those who are currently hiring a boat, have booked to hire a boat in the future, or those with private berths are asked to contact the businesses directly or await contact to make necessary arrangements.

Please let us know if additional boatyards have closed and need to be added to our list.

Broads Authority Rangers will help with informing hirers of their current position when on the water.

3. All pubs, restaurants and cafés in the area are now closed until further notice, with the exception of those operating takeaway services. Many accommodation providers and attraction are also closed for the foreseeable future.

Please see our website for more information: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Richardsons contacted me before 12 today (our holiday is 2 weeks away). I reluctantly accepted a full refund as we cannot go until next April and the boat we had booked wasn't available (already booked!). We (our family and my friend's families) discussed it and decided to upgrade and book White Champagne.

I booked over the phone because I wanted to pay a larger deposit than £50. I know not everyone can afford to do that but if more people could put down a bigger deposit, I reckon the boatyards are more likely to survive - I would imagine Richardsons will be fine but you never know. I basically have them back what they refunded me.

The lady was thrilled to be ending her day with a booking rather than telling another customer that their holiday is cancelled. She also appreciated our larger deposit.

• Like 7

Life as we knew it has paused!

Please can ALL accept that.

I am the greatest cynic of all BUT we all have to work together ( 2 metres Apart) to combat this threat.

I now expect dire travel restrictions by the end of the week if not tonight.

paul

• Like 1