Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

Hi, Virgin Boater here.

With all this talk of low bridges, I have a simple question,: why don't thy build new taller bridges?

I guess many are historic, but are they fit for modern purposes? 

Or are they all part of the challenge?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Potter one in particular is very historic, dating from the 14th century or something like that. Most of the traffic nowadays is diverted across what was once the railway bridge. Personally, I think the low bridges make the areas just beyond them even more special. It’s not like any hirers are banned from visiting them, you just have to choose an appropriate boat, or take a day boat through.  Grendel makes a point of hiring an older boat from Martham’s which is located above Potter Heigham Bridge. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heritage my dear chap!

But I agree that money plays some part. There have been various wild ideas floated of having a diversion around PH bridge and so on, but I can’t imagine where the funds would come from for that, nor that there would be any return on the investment.

And (shock horror), I’m very glad that’s the case. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Roy said:

If any bridges are replaced it need to be the 2 at Yarmouth ( Vauxhall and the other one). 

If these were raised it would make Yarmouth safer and open up the whole network?

Might open up the network, but it would also give the Brundall Navy the opportunity to get on there Northern rivers.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, YnysMon said:

The Potter one in particular is very historic, dating from the 14th century or something like that. Most of the traffic nowadays is diverted across what was once the railway bridge. Personally, I think the low bridges make the areas just beyond them even more special. It’s not like any hirers are banned from visiting them, you just have to choose an appropriate boat, or take a day boat through.  Grendel makes a point of hiring an older boat from Martham’s which is located above Potter Heigham Bridge. 

Not quite , the modern concrete road bridge replaced the steel girder railway bridge which was removed 1968 .

Wroxham Bridge was built 1619, and is currently covered by a steel load supporting road surface. It's listed as a scheduled monument.

Potter Heigham bridge is believed to date from 1385. and is grade 2 * listed

The arched Vauxhall railway Bridge in GY built 1850 is grade 2 listed.

Haven Bridge GY  built 1930 is not listed

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

.......it would also give the Brundall Navy the opportunity to get on there Northern rivers.  

How high would those bridges have to be to accommodate the seemingly unmovable aerials and super attractive, high altitude tents/hoods with which so many are fitted?  Theoretically raising Vauxhall a couple of feet should be a doddle but would that be enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

How high would those bridges have to be to accommodate the seemingly unmovable aerials and super attractive, high altitude tents/hoods with which so many are fitted?  Theoretically raising Vauxhall a couple of feet should be a doddle but would that be enough?

I was trying to be tactful and didn’t say whether their presence on the northern  rivers would be a positive or negative.  Just following Roy’s post suggesting that their replacement would open up the network.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always been puzzled why the A47 Acle New Rd Bridge in Yarmouth was built so low no real need to copy the height  of the Metal ex railway bridge which could conceivably be  jacked up & new foot approaches built. I doubt there was any public consultation at the time?

Wayford looks like a cheap job & missed opportunity

Ludham a little constrained by entrances to one side but a few more inches should have been possible

Beccles Old another that could gain a few inches by jacking up?. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray said:

They just need to dig deeper underneath them... simples!

I was thinking exactly the same and already have a Go Fund me idea worked out 

The distance from the underside of the bridge to the river bed is, say, 9 feet. (Water depth is 3 feet and Air Draft is 6 feet)

If we dig out another 3 feet that makes 12 feet. 

All I need is everyone on the Broads to donate £10 each and I will have enough to hire a couple of people, some scuba gear, two shovels and a large skip. I also need a new deckchair and table for drinks whilst I watch and supervise. Project should be completed by 2034 (Covid permitting)

Either that or fit flood tanks to all boats. Just like submarines*. Fill up these tanks with water, go under bridge, pump out water. How easy is that??.

"Take us to periscope Potter depth"

"Aye Aye Skipper - descending now"

This will also require the digging out of the river bed so I/ we all win twice.

Who is with me??

*Patent Applied For. (Not for submarines as they already exist but for the water tank idea.)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the bridge restrictions are too much if an issue. Potter definitely is but it's historic nature makes a rebuild impossible. The bridge that might need looking at before too long is Ludham. With so many boats kept above the bridge at Stalham, there will come a time when boats will get stuck on the Upper Ant!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I start a fund for a line of trees near the west bank of the Ant immediately above and below Ludham bridge? There are so many wooded sections that mess up the wind for saileys further up, but just as you need a bit of shelter approaching the bridge it ain’t there. 
:default_gbxhmm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Can I start a fund for a line of trees near the west bank of the Ant immediately above and below Ludham bridge? There are so many wooded sections that mess up the wind for saileys further up, but just as you need a bit of shelter approaching the bridge it ain’t there. 
:default_gbxhmm:

Sorry Helen, cannot support that.  Plant more trees, deter sailies  and allow more room for manoeuvring motor boats along the Ant.  
 

Now sit back and await torrent of abuse!!😁😁😉😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

Always been puzzled why the A47 Acle New Rd Bridge in Yarmouth was built so low no real need to copy the height  of the Metal ex railway bridge which could conceivably be  jacked up & new foot approaches built. I doubt there was any public consultation at the time?

Photo of the previous road bridge which was positioned just upstream of the present bridge (1972), in front of the Suspension Bridge Tavern. It appears to have more clearance than the present concrete road bridge but that could be an illusion as the present bridge is flat rather than curved.

The picture is the copyright of George Plunkett whose website Photographs of old Norwich and Norfolk is certainly worth a visit.

Incidentally this bridge replaced a suspension bridge which was the site of a tragedy in 1845 when the bridge collapsed during a festival and 79 people were drowned including 59 children.

Gt Yarmouth river Bure road bridge.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible tragedy indeed. I think Carol did a blog about it on her Web site. There was of course the old M and GN rail bridge too connecting with Yarmouth beach station. I wonder if clearance back in the day would be to allow wherry passage? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The old railway bridge on the Bure at Gt. Yarmouth had a whopping 15' 6" at A.H.W. In hindsight I think that link should have been retained rather than the existing terminus that ends on the edge of the town in the middle of nowt.

14 hours ago, catcouk said:

I don't think the bridge restrictions are too much if an issue. Potter definitely is but it's historic nature makes a rebuild impossible. 

The main problem at Potter is that the modern cruiser has evolved in a way that makes them difficult to pass through (if at all), while up until the 1970s  the vast majority of (hire) craft could.

Besides Potter the one that can really catch you out is Wayford. if your on the Dilham side after a downfall of rain you could be there some time!

Fred

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

All I need is everyone on the Broads to donate £10 each and I will have enough to hire a couple of people, some scuba gear, two shovels and a large skip. I also need a new deckchair and table for drinks whilst I watch and supervise. Project should be completed by 2034 (Covid permitting)

I'm fully qual'd up as a diver, payment by strong rum and Gregg's Steak Bakes only though please. Can supply my own shovel and hire you a deck chair too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

I'm fully qual'd up as a diver, payment by strong rum and Gregg's Steak Bakes only though please. Can supply my own shovel and hire you a deck chair too.

Careful old chap, knowing Mr T. Boater as well as I do, I expect he is currently drawing up the contracts for you! :default_biggrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.