Not Good

ChrisB

I'm guessing townies organised thinkinh out in the countryside there'd be no one around to here it. But hearing a live band at "the dog " Ludham while sailing down the st Benets straight it's obvious any noise out on the marshes can be heard for miles..

I can only guess that the organiser of the Ludham 'rave' was incredibly naïve, if not just plain thick. Did he really think that his activities would be ignored, especially during these testing times? We live in a society intent on complaining at the best of times, let alone in the middle of the night in an area where a pin can be heard when dropped! 

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can only guess that the organiser of the Ludham 'rave' was incredibly naïve, if not just plain thick. Did he really think that his activities would be ignored, especially during these testing times? We live in a society intent on complaining at the best of times, let alone in the middle of the night in an area where a pin can be heard when dropped! 

Once established with large enough numbers attending it can be very hard to break them up! Look at the one that happened in France with 2500 people present. The Police ended up just containing that one until they were partied out and went home.

My opinion is that the people of Ludham were lucky it was discovered so early before it really got going, and for sufficient numbers of Police to have attended and closed the surrounding roads so quickly, suggests to me a level of intelligence had been used to detect the event being organised. Police often keep an eye on social media for such events. Two areas near me Thurrock Lakeside and Southend seafront often have dispersal orders applied for 24hrs when there is a rumour of boy racers gathering to show of their motors and motoring "skills"

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

Once established with large enough numbers attending it can be very hard to break them up! Look at the one that happened in France with 2500 people present. The Police ended up just containing that one until they were partied out and went home.

My opinion is that the people of Ludham were lucky it was discovered so early before it really got going, and for sufficient numbers of Police to have attended and closed the surrounding roads so quickly, suggests to me a level of intelligence had been used to detect the event being organised. Police often keep an eye on social media for such events. Two areas near me Thurrock Lakeside and Southend seafront often have dispersal orders applied for 24hrs when there is a rumour of boy racers gathering to show of their motors and motoring "skills"

Im a southend resident and we did indeed have large groups along the front new years eve. The boy racer thing has been going on since forever, nothing new. I'm surprised the French took the approach they did in shutting the rave down, they are normally a lot more heavy handed. Lack of numbers I'm guessing on the police side. Both my brother and sister in laws are southend police officers and they just haven't got the numbers to deal with large gathering on any night of the week. In a recent simular incident to the one at Ludham in leigh on Sea, they had to wait nearly an hour for back up to arrive from the met police at Ilford all local officers were allocated. The local press reported it as local police stood by and allowed it to happen. Just not the case the police were hugely out numbered. 

Sorry as  I have tried to retreat from anything regarding this but like many I am really loosing patience, as part of the generation who have most to loose not only in vulnarability but usable years of life I am sick and tired of those who put their own selfish lives before those of others including the ones currently trying to play politics with the education system.

Fred

• Like 6

Agreed re the Lud’ites, notwithstanding the choice of a sleepy marshland location off probably the quietest A road in the country putting the emergency services and others at risk is not on. Equally and digenerating a bit we now seem to have a split tier 4 system where different rules apply viz London you can’t go to primary school, rest of the tier you must/ should... unless you’re in Brighton or the Headteacher feels like it. Now, I hear London hospitals won’t be able to cope, I also hear of Essex pushing out patients to Norfolk... so what happens when the Norfolk lot get sick, air ambulance to an oil rig? The much talked about new strain which was the basis of closing schools in London is apparently here in Norfolk according to Edp quoting a local scientist. How Its got here I can only wonder... Cromer minor injuries unit is closing so staff can help out with Covid instead, right thing to do but careful if diying. People needing cancer treatment are being delayed and may die anyway as a direct consequence. I trust all the flights in and out of Heathrow etc. to USA India Kenya France Russia etc. today are essential eg freight or passenger flights for life saving operations. Back to new normal tomorrow, with our bubble of at least 50 assuming all single parents and teachers, no careers or keyworkers... probably over 100 then. I hope I’m wrong but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.

if you look at the interactive map - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

then you may have noticed the dark purple area has moved out of the south east and is pushing towards norfolk through essex and suffolk, the current version of the map is over a week out of date as it still shows the pre christmas figures. fortunately for me the area I live in has become further seperated from that dark purple band as numbers in the south east have stopped rising. progress of the map will probably be as soon as the data is compiled from the current week.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

if you look at the interactive map - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

then you may have noticed the dark purple area has moved out of the south east and is pushing towards norfolk through essex and suffolk, the current version of the map is over a week out of date as it still shows the pre christmas figures. fortunately for me the area I live in has become further seperated from that dark purple band as numbers in the south east have stopped rising. progress of the map will probably be as soon as the data is compiled from the current week.

That map is always updated around 4pm each day and is always for the rolling 7 days up to a point about 5 days behind. So currently the map is showing the 22nd to 29th December, tomorrow will be the 23rd to the 30th December and so on. Towards the top there is a slider that allows you to step back in time a week at a time. It's amazing how different the map looked even 2 weeks back, let alone 5 or 6. Sad to see but I was due to be in Cornwall for New Year and cancelled before it being cancelled. I guess a lot of people didn't judging by the way Cornwall has gone from light Green straight to dark Blue!!

As you zoom in and out of that map the view will change to show the UTLA Upper Tier Local Authority, or basically your county council. The next layer down is the LTLA Lower Tier Local Authority it basically your local council area. Then it will show your MSOA or Middle Layer Super Output Area which is basically a standardised unit of local area that will contain roughly the same amount of people and was defined for the 2011 census. It is useful therefore for analysing data about small areas on a like for like basis, hence it's use on the Corona Virus map.

Above all else it is worth remembering that the map is showing the positive cases for your area of people who have come forward for a test. You can probably add an uplift of at least 50% for people who have symptoms and are just isolating and don't need a test to let them know they are unwell, and even more for those who are asymptomatic who have it and don't know and are unknowingly spreading it even further.

My local area has an R rate of about 1200. so 1.2% of people have it. Add in those who have it but haven't gone for a test and the asymptomatic people and your probably talking about 2.5% or one in forty people have it. A busy supermarket probably has about 200 customers and staff in it. Makes you think twice about choosing the right time to go shopping, and how often!!!!!

I heard from a reliable source this afternoon that two local hospitals were busy today, more so than at any previous time in the entire pandemic. The very sincere advice given was simple, "stay away from other humans, for at least a fortnight". May I suggest that my fellow old crocks also heed that advice. 

• Like 5

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=NR34+7AR

At least in our area Peter things are not so bad as other places.     I do agree that there is a lot of olduns that really are being silly and not staying a distance from others.   I personally do not go shopping and have everything , literally everything delivered.    When we go for a walk we cross over the road if anyone else is approaching us,  sometimes we dont have to as they cross before us.   There are a lot of sensible folk out there.       Mostly here where we live the average age I would think is 70 so (not to my knowledge) no raves going on here.   Most of us are in bed by 10.   Gosh we do live exciting lives.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Agreed re the Lud’ites, notwithstanding the choice of a sleepy marshland location off probably the quietest A road in the country putting the emergency services and others at risk is not on. Equally and digenerating a bit we now seem to have a split tier 4 system where different rules apply viz London you can’t go to primary school, rest of the tier you must/ should... unless you’re in Brighton or the Headteacher feels like it. Now, I hear London hospitals won’t be able to cope, I also hear of Essex pushing out patients to Norfolk... so what happens when the Norfolk lot get sick, air ambulance to an oil rig? The much talked about new strain which was the basis of closing schools in London is apparently here in Norfolk according to Edp quoting a local scientist. How Its got here I can only wonder... Cromer minor injuries unit is closing so staff can help out with Covid instead, right thing to do but careful if diying. People needing cancer treatment are being delayed and may die anyway as a direct consequence. I trust all the flights in and out of Heathrow etc. to USA India Kenya France Russia etc. today are essential eg freight or passenger flights for life saving operations. Back to new normal tomorrow, with our bubble of at least 50 assuming all single parents and teachers, no careers or keyworkers... probably over 100 then. I hope I’m wrong but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.

From my understanding most Cancer care/treatment is carrying  on as usual. Many operations other then Cancer are being delayed or postponed.As someone recovering from Cancer I am concerned that serious health  issues  are cared for.The numbers of hospital  admissions due to Covid is very worrying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

At least in our area Peter things are not so bad as other places. 

Apparently, for our two local hospitals, things were pretty bad over the weekend and over the next two weeks are predicted to get even worse. No room for complacency and we have yet to see the results of the Christmas relaxation.

The way you are managing sounds just right!

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

From my understanding most Cancer care/treatment is carrying  on as usual.

In Norfolk & Suffolk some patients are being moved from the bigger to the smaller hospitals.

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In Norfolk & Suffolk some patients are being moved from the bigger to the smaller hospitals.

20210104_111109.thumb.png.17646b3137bbe1500834b177f13859ac.png

20210104_111148.thumb.png.4532edbf35bb44df5cad8dcc80f5f51d.png

It is a good idea to keep some treatment as near as "isolation" as possible, especially those cancer patients needing chemotherapy and tranfusions.

• Thanks 1

My parents who are both 80 are waiting for there vaccinations.. There best friends who are both 80 who I called auntie and uncle had there’s on the 15th of December..

On the 30th both of them woke up feeling not well so both of them went and got tested and came back they had Covid-19..

On New Years my uncle collapsed at home twice from not being able to breathe properly so 999 rushed to hospital..

Then this morning my tearful mother broken hearted telling me he passed away at 8.30 this morning..  Absolutely gutted.. 
This virus 🦠 isn’t a joke. 

• Sad 11

I'm so sorry scrumpy for your loss

I know of someone who lost a dear friend at the beginning of this pandemic and I wasn't there for them, something I will regret forever. 

All you can do is be there with a virtual shoulder and hugs 

Take care and stay safe x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

My parents who are both 80 are waiting for there vaccinations.. There best friends who are both 80 who I called auntie and uncle had there’s on the 15th of December..

On the 30th both of them woke up feeling not well so both of them went and got tested and came back they had Covid-19..

On New Years my uncle collapsed at home twice from not being able to breathe properly so 999 rushed to hospital..

Then this morning my tearful mother broken hearted telling me he passed away at 8.30 this morning..  Absolutely gutted.. 
This virus 🦠 isn’t a joke. 

That's very sad but also very worrying in that they had already had the first phase of the jab!

1 hour ago, LizG said:

That's very sad but also very worrying in that they had already had the first phase of the jab!

It is very sad indeed, it is however worth pointing out that the jab takes up to three weeks to become effective. It also takes up to 7 days for the virus to show. Bad timing indeed but it is very likely they caught the virus around the time of being vaccinated, or shortly afterwards, but before they have began to feel the effect of the vaccine. It was always stated that you would not be immediately protected after receiving the jab.

My condolences for your loss ScrumpyCheddar.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, grendel said:

Problem is when you look at the general map. That is what it is general for a large area of the country.

When you drill down to the local areas, that's when it gets scary.

Parts of Kent have patches of 14.5 under 1000 so not all rosy I'm afraid Grendel.

My condolences Scrumpy. I hope your parents will be okay.

I'm quite worried with both Graham and Harry working at present: Graham in post office sorting office and Harry in IKEA doing click and collect as the store is shut to customers. I had a look at the heat map, and our area is one of those that is on the worst end of the scale (dark purple). It feels worse now than in the first lockdown as some people in shops and other public spaces seem to have become complacent. 

Helen

• Like 1