You Know You’ve Arrived When ...

SwanR

1 minute ago, WherryNice said:

Another one for Postwick viaduct, usually peering out the window to see if Mum n Dads old boat is still there......

That's why they had to move the slip road for the new Postwick Hub, because of all you lot "rubbernecking" as you go over the bridge!       :default_jumelles:

• Haha 4

Sutton Bridge is a popular one, although I don't tend to go that way. I only ever took that route when I was driving to the Broads the 3 years I spent up north.

The McDonalds at Eye Green lets me know I'm about half way there.

• Like 1

When you reach Hoveton Bridge.. was my final Marker, turn right up Church street and head for Horning.

The Elvedon Memorial, and Sutton Bridge were just markers enroute, Like Scotch Corner, joining the A17, the Dereham and Swaffham roundabouts..

These days, it's Catfield, Ludham, Ludham Bridge, Horning upper street, Horning Crossroads turn left down to the club..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Bizarrely the chip shop at long Stratton, on the A140. It became a family tradition to stop and have a break in our journey and as children we knew we were nearly there. 

Mine also used to include the A140, specifically Goodies farm shop. We always stopped there on the way up from Essex. It was like a dividing line. Almost there and most of the journey behind us. 

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Getting off the train at Norwich - always a magic moment. 

As a child it would have been a train station as we rarely drove. So I would suggest Liverpool Street maybe because we either had afternoon tea or a meal in the restaurant car. So the holiday had begun!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

Sutton Bridge is a popular one, although I don't tend to go that way. I only ever took that route when I was driving to the Broads the 3 years I spent up north.

The McDonalds at Eye Green lets me know I'm about half way there.

Sutton Bridge for us too (& I always repeat, without fail something my father would say, every time we crossed that bridge, "did you know this used to be a railway bridge?"). I once missed saying it as another driver had kept to the left hand lane after the first roundabout just past the compost packing plant and then cut me up before the roundabout to the bridge approach, wanting the eastbound A17 instead of the road back into the village, causing me to stand on the brakes, hit the horn and swear profusely. When calm had been regained within the car and we were again eastbound on the A17 my wife said, without any trace of irony, "did you know that used to be a railway bridge?" whilst looking straight out of the windscreen...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chrisdobson45 said:

Sutton Bridge for us too (& I always repeat, without fail something my father would say, every time we crossed that bridge, "did you know this used to be a railway bridge?"). I once missed saying it as another driver had kept to the left hand lane after the first roundabout just past the compost packing plant and then cut me up before the roundabout to the bridge approach, wanting the eastbound A17 instead of the road back into the village, causing me to stand on the brakes, hit the horn and swear profusely. When calm had been regained within the car and we were again eastbound on the A17 my wife said, without any trace of irony, "did you know that used to be a railway bridge?" whilst looking straight out of the windscreen...

It's not on my route at all driving from Leicestershire...but last year I planned my route to Brundall specifically to take in Eye Green and Sutton Bridge. Added around 20 minutes on but it's worth it.

• Like 1

I know I've arrived when.....

I get past the 4 roundabouts at thetford without incident only to hear the sound of the dog throwing up her breakfast in the back seat just as we reach the boatyard gate, she gets motion sick and hates direction changes so griffin lane does the job nicely.

• Like 2