Toilet Rolls - Now Petrol/diesel!

CeePee1952

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

How does it work at Tesco's Stalham.  If there are large queues for the fuel station but you want to visit the supermarket but not the fuel station?

We - that is 18 of us - are afloat come next weekend at the start of our annual Lads Week from H.W's, the normal procedure is for crews to visit Tesco then store ship prior to sailing Saturday forenoon.  Are we going to get caught up in the fuel queue ?

Griff

Griff ,   as a last resort you could have an on line delivery delivered to the boat yard I suppose.    The supermarkets have got it worked out for the deliveries.    They fill up every morning before the garage opens , well this was Sainsburys and I assume the others have the same policy.  Staff and the delivery trucks.    It took the workers to point this out to Management that if the staff cannot get into work and the trucks are not getting fuel the their profits will take a dive.   Immediately apparently this was remedied.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

She also relayed a story that a tanker actually carrying grain at the time was followed for miles by 5 cars because they thought it was a petrol tanker.   Now no wonder the great unwashed are so misled listening to this drivel.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

Seems like it's happening elsewhere! 

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Are people that stupid.    Fuel tankers have different logos on the back warning about what is on board for a start.

I think you know the answer to that one! :default_rofl:When people are filling up plastic bottles and all manner of other inappropriate containers then the answer has to be a resounding yes. Still think the best one yet is the person who queued for 30 mins to only manage to put £5.71 of fuel into the car, They probably wasted at least half of that in the queue in the first place!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Are people that stupid.    Fuel tankers have different logos on the back warning about what is on board for a start.

Absolutely, and I thought it was part of the driving test. I always think the main part of the tanker warning sign is the E at the end for evacuate. One Hazchem qualified driver once told me that although he had done the course and knew what to do, in his opinion in the event of a spillage all he needed was a good pair of running shoes! :default_smiley-char054:

I have a very good friend who has lived in Spain these last ten years. We have a laugh most weeks about the state this country is in. He says you really don't realise how bad it is until you've removed yourself. Sadly brexit and the pandemic has exposed it even more. The whole thing is a shambles and it ain't gonna get any better anytime soon. Weak politicians, greed and self just 3 of the main ingredients. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, andyg said:

I have a very good friend who has lived in Spain these last ten years. We have a laugh most weeks about the state this country is in. He says you really don't realise how bad it is until you've removed yourself.

Perhaps it's time to go to Spain and see just how Green the grass really is on the other side. Off course they have no corrupt or weak politicians, are not reliant on overseas tourists or the EU central funds to bale them out.

Always amazes me why people are so keen to come to this country or stay in this country if its such a shambles. It may not be perfect or utopia, but I can think of a lot worse places to live.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

I have a very good friend who has lived in Spain these last ten years. We have a laugh most weeks about the state this country is in. He says you really don't realise how bad it is until you've removed yourself. Sadly brexit and the pandemic has exposed it even more. The whole thing is a shambles and it ain't gonna get any better anytime soon. Weak politicians, greed and self just 3 of the main ingredients. 

My brother lives in Spain his neighbour got away with opening a brothal in a nice residential street as his father worked with the local Mayor. Then when COVID hit all of the staff of a local old people’s home buggered off and left the residents to fend for them selves. 
Much better in Spain not! 

• Like 1

I have a friend who moved to The Netherlands. He was always telling me how great it was over there, how good the social care was, how well maintained the roads were, etc. etc. Fact is The Netherlands have one of the highest taxation rates in the whole of the EU. Where does my friend live now? Back in the UK. Makes me wonder why he wanted to come back if it was so great :facepalm:Think after 10 years he learnt the lesson about the grass not always being as Green as first thought. 

• Like 1

called into our local Morrisons this morning a there were no queues so I went around the barriered way into the fuel station. I filled up for just under £32.00 what bugs me is the way we were sold down the river by the industry when they charging by the litre. In all honesty would we not be protesting at the price of £8.00  per gallon (UK).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, annv said:

Hi Andy If we were still in the common market Boris would not have been allowed to cut a deal with the carbon dioxide producers and we would now be short on beer and packaged foods that require this gas. John

Do you really believe that? Or is it a wind up?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

called into our local Morrisons this morning a there were no queues so I went around the barriered way into the fuel station. I filled up for just under £32.00 what bugs me is the way we were sold down the river by the industry when they charging by the litre. In all honesty would we not be protesting at the price of £8.00  per gallon (UK).

Not sure that however fuel is measured, the cost here is less than in some European countries and less than others.  What I wonder is how we expect to educate children when we measure distance in miles, but buy timber, carpet and other materials in metres, we but a pint of beer, yet a litre of petrol.  What a crazy, mixed up system that can only cause confusion.  It’s about time we converted to metric, or reverted to avoirdupois for weights and imperial for distance and liquids.  However, I do think that metric is much easier than trying to remember inches, feet, yards, chains, furlongs and miles for distance.

3610A162-9F01-464E-967C-6F4F8883E874.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Need to watch this before it gets too political, but I fear that the situation with European lorry drivers, Covid passports and using army personnel to drive petrol tankers have caused so many government U turns that they may not currently know which way they’re facing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

Need to watch this before it gets too political, but I fear that the situation with European lorry drivers, Covid passports and using army personnel to drive petrol tankers have caused so many government U turns that they may not currently know which way they’re facing.

Did they from the start, maybe we could get kermit to give us some advice 🤔 

• Like 1

My son is fishing in the World Carp Classic.   Said he filled up at M2 services on Thursday and said in France no problem with fuel , garages are usual.    No it is just this bloody media over here whipping up a storm over nothing.

If anyone is interested Philip is fishing for England with his team.    The YouTube is from the 2020 competition.   At the moment they are all drawing their pegs.   Should be interesting.

https://youtu.be/M-khVLX3P6U

Edited because apparently he did go last year but I dont think it was very successful.   I did say before that he didn't go last year because of Covid restrictions, but I was wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

I think you know the answer to that one! :default_rofl:When people are filling up plastic bottles and all manner of other inappropriate containers then the answer has to be a resounding yes. Still think the best one yet is the person who queued for 30 mins to only manage to put £5.71 of fuel into the car, They probably wasted at least half of that in the queue in the first place!

And they probably wasted half of that £5.71 of fuel idling the engine in the queue  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Bent over looking up a very dark orifice maybe? 🤩

Chris

• Like 1