Toilet Rolls - Now Petrol/diesel!

CeePee1952

5 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Which of course will come at a price. Are you prepared for that.

Andrew

Isn’t that what I said?

14 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

. . . . . . . . Increasing wages in these and other working environments will have an inflationary effect, as bosses will pass on the higher wage bills to us. . . . . . . . . 

We didn’t want cheap EU labour and voted accordingly.  We will now have to face the consequences and if that results in higher wages for essential workers resulting in higher rates of inflation as costs are passed to the consumer, so be it.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Isn’t that what I said?

We didn’t want cheap EU labour and voted accordingly.  We will now have to face the consequences and if that results in higher wages for essential workers resulting in higher rates of inflation as costs are passed to the consumer, so be it.

Was that the deal that the majority voted? Were fully aware? Were the consequences explained in detail. Not a political statement just a statement of fact.

• Like 2

Just now, Wussername said:

Was that the deal that the majority voted? Were fully aware? Were the consequences explained in detail. Not a political statement just a statement of fact.

One of the key factors in the Brexit debate was immigration.  Sadly, people only took notice of what they wanted to hear.  The fact that the large majority of the migrants from the EU were hard working, tax paying individuals who were doing work that the average Brit didn’t want to do was overlooked.

I’ll leave it there before this descends into a political debate.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sadly, people only took notice of what they wanted to hear.  

You might of, I certainly didn't

Griff

The majority of us probably had pre conceived ideas of whether we were in favour of leaving or remaining before the referendum.  We were all fed the same information and I’d guess that most folk voted the way they thought at the start of campaigning.

That said, how many of us thought that there would be customs checks and import controls introduced between the UK mainland and Northern Ireland, when it remains part of the UK.

A lot of things have happened that maybe weren’t envisaged, for better or worse.  However, we’ve made our bed, now we have to lay in it, as the saying goes.

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

Which of course will come at a price. Are you prepared for that.

There's also another consideration to this. When pay goes up to attract people into these many and varied vacancies, the net effect, as Mouldy says, will be that inflation will rise. It has to as the increased costs are passed on to the consumer. Inflation is controlled by increasing interest rates, to dampen down demand and promote saving. The UK has seen record low interest rates for over 10 years now, and many people have taken mortgages and business loans out to the level they can afford at today's rates. When those rates start to rise, it won't only be the pips that squeak! The Bank of England is tasked to keep inflation at or around 2%, and it's for this reason I don't believe for a minute, that despite all the talk from the government about how they are creating a high wage economy, that this was an intended consequence of Brexit. 

• Like 2

Why is it that we in this country are always willing to take part in self flagellation.      We have a fantastic country, beautiful countryside ,  good people, freedoms, and plenty to eat and drink.     Can we please stop doing ourselves down all of the time.     Utopia does not exist and it never will exist ,    I am grateful for my daily life, despite the odd hiccup now and then of health etc,  even so even with health we have a wonderful health service for those who are genuinely in need.   Let us take a step back and count our blessings.

• Like 12

Here is the morning petrol forecast ( on the commute @ 06:30 ):

Wroxham, Jet. - depression, no stock

Tesco, Blue Boar,  - stock, queues building, occasionally heavy, back to main road

Esso, ring road - depression, no stock

Apple Green, Firs Aylsham Road - stock, queues building, moderate, back to traffic lights

Our car developed a fault  for which the required parts were not available for 2 weeks. We were given  a rental car which was a Hyndai Hybrid.  We didn't pay much attention to the  stories of fuel shortages. We weren't planning any long distance trips and doing local driving was invariably done on battery so no problem. We got a call this morning to say we could come and collect our car. We had been told by the rental car  driver who delivered the  Hyundai that it would be best if when we returned it we left it with a full tank of petrol as it had when  delivered as a top up of fuel by them would be charged at  an exorbitant rate. Suddenly we had to think about the availability of petrol. All the petrol stations between us and Ely were not open for supply but Tesco in Ely,  opposite the dealer that had our car, had petrol which we gratefully used to top up the Hyundai. they had no diesel however. Which is what our car runs on. We have an almost full tank so  will be alright  for a while let's hope by the time we need some the crisis will have been sorted.,

Carole

having completed a 150 mile round trip today for a meeting at work, I drove back into canterbury, past the motorway services which had a queue on the slip road, past asda which had about a 10 car queue, and on to the esso garage 100 yards further down the road, which had a sign diesel only, onto the forcourt straight to a pump, the sign said max £35, so I started filling up as my gauge was registering below half tank (this car only has a 52 litre tank as compared to the 70 litre one in the old volvo) filled up, the pump clicked off at £34.90 and i squeezed the extra 10p in. in to the shop, paid and on my way in under 5 minutes (still queues when I drove back past asda). I needed a top up as I have a similar journey Friday for work and dont like to start a long trip with under half a tank in a car I am not used to the fuel consumption yet. and the good part was that the esso  garage was the same price as Asda - £1.379 per litre.

Thats what I call a win.

• Like 2