Toilet Rolls - Now Petrol/diesel!

CeePee1952

23 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Sainsburys North Walsham have petrol only, not super, but no derv. Short queue, only a dozen or so vehicles. BP aylsham dry when I went past an hour or so ago.

Hmm ... I have a dilemma then - do I make the 130 mile trip from London to fill up In North Walsham, and then 130 miles back ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SteveO said:

The filling stations might better off imposing a minimum purchase limit to encourage people only to fill their tanks when they really need to and discourage idiots from filling up gallon cans.

Well, seems by virtue of having no choice but to fill up a gallon can at some point, my wife’s tank fumes won’t make the forecourt, that I’m an idiot. A full stop after to would be respectful. What do you think the limit should be?

47 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Well, seems by virtue of having no choice but to fill up a gallon can at some point, my wife’s tank fumes won’t make the forecourt, that I’m an idiot. A full stop after to would be respectful. What do you think the limit should be?

When I said idiots, I was referring to the people I saw filling a selection of small, often unsuitable containers after brimming their fuel tank to a value of £15. There were plenty of these about last week when I last filled up. As regards the minimum limit, I would have thought £40 or so. Obviously there would have to be exceptions and exemptions for vehicles whose tanks can't hold that much fuel. I can't say that people should use their common sense, as clearly this does not apply to fuel.

setting a minimum would be fraught with problems, for example I dropped below half a  tank on my new (to me) volvo yesterday, I had done just over 200 miles, and was faced with another 150 mile round trip friday, I am uncomfortable starting a long trip with under half a tank, yet the fill up was only £35, so a £40 minimum is unrealistic, i dont have a small car yet it only has a 52 litre tank, smaller cars may well have smaller tanks.

11 hours ago, SteveO said:

The filling stations might better off imposing a minimum purchase limit to encourage people only to fill their tanks when they really need to and discourage idiots from filling up gallon cans.

They all ready do. Most pumps carry the text minimum delivery 2 litres, I think it is 5 litres on commercial diesel pumps. However not sure I understand your logic! If there is a minimum purchase limit of £30 and my car will only take £27 then I'm MORE likely to stick the other £3 in a can or anything more unsuitable rather than waste it. Off course if I did only put £27 in and went to pay what are they going to do? Force me to have the other £3 worth, or charge me £30, in which case weights and measures might have something to say about it.

There is no simple solutions other than encourage people to use their common sense.

Having passed my local Sainsburys petrol station for three days in a row when it has been open with no queues I relented and went in and topped up my tank. I now have enough to get to and from Norfolk next week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveO said:

Who will and how do you enforce that, the poor cashier who is probably receiving enough abuse already, I guess those filling cans are also filling cars at the same time so that wont work.

Sadly you can't legislate for idiots or idiocy.

Fred 

There are some interesting videos on Youtube at the moment where real lorry drivers give their honest opinions as to why there is a driver shortage. One is Romanian. One quoted an article saying drivers could earn £45k to which he replied that only a few drivers could earn that amount and fuel tanker drivers were among them. That was posted two months ago.

24 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

As we still got Petrol & Diesel's supply shortage  around the Country . Today is 1st October all our Gas and Electricity Bills are going up along with the Petrol & Diesel prices on the Rise :default_smiley-angry047: due to the Oil price hike also still the Food Shortage is still here what next? 

Next is this:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

As we still got Petrol & Diesel's supply shortage  around the Country . Today is 1st October all our Gas and Electricity Bills are going up along with the Petrol & Diesel prices on the Rise :default_smiley-angry047: due to the Oil price hike also still the Food Shortage is still here what next? 

Andrew, I think sometimes we need to remember the expression ‘there for the grace of God go I.’

Yes, I agree that shortages, price rises and other market forces are frustrating, annoying and sometimes upsetting, but it’s all to easy to forget that we could live in a country where there is war, famine, dictatorial rule, no freedom of speech, no gas, electricity or running water.

We have a health service, most of us who want to be vaccinated against Covid have been and our life is gradually returning to normal.  If we can’t have a turkey at Christmas, have something else.  At least we should be able to celebrate with family and friends, unlike last year when we were in lockdown.

I guess most of us are fed up with what’s going on in this country, but it could be so much worse.  Perhaps being grateful for what we have is the way to go and I’ll be the first to admit that for some of the time, I’m not.

Anyway, enough of that.  I’m just trying to imagine how folk are going to panic buy and stockpile gas, when it’s in short supply!! 😉

• Like 6

The situation seems to have calmed down in my area, passed an asda,bp and sainsbury forecourt this morning. All open and no ques, all seems calm for now lol. Am I the only one who is thinking whatever next. Ten quid its turkey gate? 

• Like 1