Roadworks 2022

TheQ

They must have known about it  - even I did!!!! But my guess is that 2025 will become either a cut or pipedream and if its anything like N Burlingham, they will defer it time and time again!

And then of course the Bicycle Party will get involved to delay it further - which they have promised to do!

3 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I am hoping for a couple of really cold nights as it is causing havoc on the crossing and a large surrounding area. Nothing to do with me wanting to use it Thursday morning :default_biggrin:

Trust me, they'll be down by Thursday. That's the day they sign on for their benefits.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, marshman said:

They must have known about it  - even I did!!!! But my guess is that 2025 will become either a cut or pipedream and if its anything like N Burlingham, they will defer it time and time again!

And then of course the Bicycle Party will get involved to delay it further - which they have promised to do!

But the traffic lights will be in place by the weekend 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

The road works on Wroxham road at Blue boar lane have cleared... So...

The NDR Wroxham road roundabout is down to single lane from all directions including the roundabout itself.. Strangely the times I've been through it appears to be flowing better than normal..

And

The Hoveton - Stalham road at the North Walsham junction has traffic lights and this morning they're not working properly...

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I've read elsewhere that the road into Hoveton from the NDR at Rackheath is closed?

So, tomorrow afternoon / early evening I'll be staying on the bypass and getting to Stalham via Acle as we did for ages prior to the NDR being opened

Griff

The road into Hoveton from the NDR (A1151) was open on Monday.  The turning from the NDR into Salhouse is closed, which is the roundabout before the A1151, heading from the Postwick Interchange.

Why are they closing all these roads?

I live on the border of Lingwood and Strumpshaw. We bob up and down a lot, surrounded by sugar beet, wheat, barley and reeds. Shouting "wherethehellarewe" indeed a tribe is named after us.

The first that you are aware of a road closure is a sign reading "DIVERSION". Invariably pointing to a bit of marshland or a farmers field.

You carry on, "with hope in your heart"   

You think it cannot possibly mean me!

You trundle on. Passing several signs saying "ROAD CLOSED" There is a sense of impending doom.

At no place does it state where the road is closed. Never ever!

You carry on regardless, after travelling four or five miles, 20 yards from your turning is the road block. Absolute corruption. Cones, signs. portable toilets, diggers, fillers, smoothers, wheel barrows, portable canteen and a hole. Yes a hole. A hole which is completely out of proportion to the confusion, disruption, and chaos which has ensured. 

And do you know what. There is not a soul in sight. You may be forgiven in thinking the site has been abandoned, waiting for a part from China, or at worse, Germany.

To compound this dreadful scenario, there is no place to turn round.

Welcome to Norfolk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My parents live in a village in the middle of nowhere. There is one road which always seems to be closed which means a huge diversion to get to their village.  The last time i noticed cars coming towards me so thought it must be open, so proceeded exactly the same as Wussername.  Signs everywhere saying it would be shut for a couple of weeks. Nothing going on at all. The signs are still there, nothing has happened.  The signs are from June. 

on one of the main routes through canterbury, they keep putting up road closed signs, so far they have managed to shut one exit from a roundabout for two weeks, now every weekend they are shutting the other exit, the problem is whichever exit they shut the diversion is via the other exit, the other problem is that when i do my shopping i go to shops down both exits, so now to get to both shops, its a 2 mile diversion to get to the other shop, also there is a sneaky shortcut that goes past the end of my road that gets round the weekend closures, also the signeage is the same whichever route is shut, so it stays there all week when neither road is shut, confusing yes, and to get out of my road i am faced with queues of traffic

I know people go on about the roundabouts in Milton Keynes, but at least our grid road system does mean you don’t have to go far out of your way if one of the roads or roundabouts are shut. Yes, it does cause tailbacks in the rush hour, but even that doesn’t bother me now that I work at home.

Win win as far as I’m concerned. I even like roundabouts. (Can’t stand traffic lights!)

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I've read elsewhere that the road into Hoveton from the NDR at Rackheath is closed?

So, tomorrow afternoon / early evening I'll be staying on the bypass and getting to Stalham via Acle as we did for ages prior to the NDR being opened

Griff

We always come of the A47 at the Plumstead turn and cut through that way 

Back in the summer, I was driving back from Norfolk along the A505 to Royston.  As I approached a north bound side turning (bear in mind at Royston I turn south) it said road closed ahead (but as usual not where!!!) so I continue on hoping that the road closure is after the short cut to the A10.  I meet several cars coming in the other direction so I am hopeful but no the road closure is just where I want to turn off.  About turn but the last thing I want to do is go several miles towards the north bound A10 so I continue on until my first south bound route!!!  What wound me was why didn't they say at that junction the road ahead was closed!!!!

Two weeks later, they again closed the road but this time, they told you at the south bound side turning first!!!

PS was in Bletchley last Sunday visiting Bletchley Park and encountered the grid system and the road closures!  Daughter was directing my husband - it was agreed I would drive home!!!

Many years ago I was driving a brand new face lift Scania artic back from Norwich Asda, late evening in the summer. Approaching Attleborough the A47 was closed and the cones took us up the slip road to where a copper was directing things. (If copper isn't allowed please edit!)

I stopped and asking him which way to get back on the A47 and he said, "Follow them." A car, small van, two more cars then me. I was struggling to keep up but I first thought I was in trouble as the leader disappeared between two farm buildings and we all followed, down a single track road. After a while we came to a small bridge with a 7.5 tonne weight limit but luckily, no sharp turns. After what seemed like ages we came to civilisation in the form of street lights and houses.

Great, until the leader pulled into his own drive and wondered why we all stopped! The van pulled over and bottled out as leader so we carried on.. Eventually we got back to the A47. Thank goodness I thought, until more road closed signs. 

At the top of the slip road I stopped and spoke to the copper, "Remember me? I was here three quarters of an hour ago and I've been on a Grand Tour of Norfolk! Now could you give me proper directions this time please?" I remember passing Banham Zoo at around 23.30...

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Brace yourselves, this may come as a bit of a shock:  There are no barrier works on the A14 at Newmarket. They've all gone. Not a cone in sight. I wonder how long before they find an excuse for digging it up again somewhere. It seems very odd to go past Cambridge and Newmarket without having to slow to 40. I almost did it instinctively. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

Brace yourselves, this may come as a bit of a shock:  There are no barrier works on the A14 at Newmarket. They've all gone. Not a cone in sight. I wonder how long before they find an excuse for digging it up again somewhere. It seems very odd to go past Cambridge and Newmarket without having to slow to 40. I almost did it instinctively. :facepalm:

Well it took long enough to do whatever they were suppose to be doing I think it could have been finished a lot quickly if they actually had some people working there once in a while

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

We went through on Saturday and we’re surprised to see the cones had gone.  They’ve been there since March 2021 and I cannot see what’s been done to justify 20 months of works.  What I did notice was that there’s a section where the usual Armco barrier hasn’t been fitted, with just the basic uprights and supports installed.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them back soon, when they get stocks of the missing sections to complete the job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We went through on Saturday and we’re surprised to see the cones had gone.  They’ve been there since March 2021 and I cannot see what’s been done to justify 20 months of works.  What I did notice was that there’s a section where the usual Armco barrier hasn’t been fitted, with just the basic uprights and supports installed.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them back soon, when they get stocks of the missing sections to complete the job.

I saw those too. I agree with you but I hope we're wrong. I would think that whatever they leave as barriers would have to be up the full standard or a reduced speed limit would be in force, after all, the cameras were already there so it would have been easy to do.