Roadworks 2022

TheQ

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sutton Bridge Update:-  Friday -  West to East at 1800-ish - 5 min delay, East to West 45 min delay

Today at 2000-ish East to West - Straight through, no delay,  West to East 5 min delay

Griff

We are going to the boat Tuesday, will check traffic as we get to Newark and decide if we carry on to Peterborough and the a47.

Just got back home. Took a chance and used the A11.  Lots of traffic surprisingly for a Sunday morning  but everyone was doing the required 40mph from Thickthorn to Wymondham and we actually ended up with a better journey than a few weeks ago when we got stuck miles before Barton Mills.  

Next trip is Thursday afternoon for the meet weekend. We will try the A11 this time as we will be in no rush. 

Not sure whether to head for home, A11 - A14, tonight or leave very early (4:30), leaning towards very early.

Like Lulu I’m heading back on Thursday but via a customer visit so will use the A47 then.

Went south on the A11 yesterday. Plenty of signs indicating the roadworks southbound start Tuesday 17th. Miles of fully open carriageway with speed cameras and a 40 limit but nothing going on, no workmen or their vehicles in sight. Northbound was coned off to one lane for the same miles and miles with nothing going on. It did seem a bit ridiculous that they couldn’t have waited to bring in the speed limit when they start. 

well you cant really compete with the kent motorways, M2 shut between sittingbourne and faversham all weekend, the diversion route for the 7 miles between the two, via maidstone, ashford, dover and canterbury- 72 miles, all the local roads stuffed and at a standstill as people try and avoid the diversion route. and no thought given to electric vehicle drivers for whom a 72 mile diversion may well be beyond the limit of their battery capacity. granted there is no other diversion route that could accomodate the extra traffic, but also with operation brock still in place their diversion route has one carriageway shut too.

50 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Went south on the A11 yesterday. Plenty of signs indicating the roadworks southbound start Tuesday 17th. Miles of fully open carriageway with speed cameras and a 40 limit but nothing going on, no workmen or their vehicles in sight. Northbound was coned off to one lane for the same miles and miles with nothing going on. It did seem a bit ridiculous that they couldn’t have waited to bring in the speed limit when they start. 

Being the cynical sort that I am, I’d say that introducing the speed limit in advance of starting the works is to try to generate some income from those drivers who believe that the speed limit doesn’t apply to them, or don’t realise that they’re average speed cameras and not the fixed variety.  It’s been very noticeable over the past 14 months, that drivers have been speeding through the roadworks on the Newmarket bypass, just slowing down for the single camera placed in each direction.

Wymondham A11:

My Tom Tom satnav doesn't know about these roadworks and scheduled me to stay at 70... After reading here I decided to aim to go through "off peak" and hit it northbound at 15.30 Tuesday. After a steady 40 for the most part we slowed to stop/start for the last 1.5 miles. It actually added about 10 minutes to the journey.

Coming home yesterday I hit it southbound around 14.30 and made a steady 40 all the way through. About 5 minutes added.

I wouldn't want to do it at peak times though; there's one slip road open and where they join seems to slow everything to a crawl.

Not many lorries though. At Asda we would have known about it and these days that probably means drivers are ordered to avoid it, satellite tracking making sure they do. I would have headed straight for it for the overtime value.

• Thanks 1

A friend of my husband who now lives near Wymondham actually emailed him to warn us of these roadworks!!!

Can't be any worse than on A602 last weekend between Ware and Watton at Stone - road closed due to a new carriageway being  created so a lorry went via the diversion to Hertford and got stuck under the railway bridge at Hertford north - it was absolute chaos!

• Like 1

We came to Norfolk yesterday and went through the contra flow around lunchtime. Steady 40mph, added a bit onto the journey but really was ok apart from an ambulance trying to get through and not a lot of room for people to move over to let it by. We will continue to use the route at non peak times. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

Thanks for the update. I may well be coming up the A11 tomorrow unless the sat nav has other ideas. 

It wasn't too bad early this afternoon. Got through the roadworks without much delay at all. I trusted Waze and got here almost spot on the estimated arrival time. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went through the Wymondham stretch at around 12.30 today. Steady 40mph and no problems at Thickthorn either. Did get a bit snarled up at Barton Mills (the usual heavy traffic)and on the A47 near Postwick due to a broken down lorry apparently. Our usual 1hr 15 min journey took 1 hr 50 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on a local Facebook group.

*** Roadworks on Norwich Road, Wroxham ***
Stop/Go Boards will be used at roadworks scheduled for Weds 15th and Thurs 16th June near to Roy's Petrol Station. Delays expected.

Not so much road works, But yesterday I was in the Queue from Norwich to the NDR / Horstead roundabout.

A big yellow helicopter flew by, then came back , and circled... and circled.. and then landed in the middle of the roundabout with the traffic flowing around it..

Once on the roundabout itself I could see the Horstead road closed by police, then there were ambulances and a fire engine.. The radio later reported a motorcycle accident..

i came through saturday and it was almost clear both ways but it was early evening,  just a heads up david, it is around 8 minutes from sutton bridge to the roundabout at kingslynn but going via wisbech it is 35 minutes providing you get by without problems,     when the work first started it was chaotic so i waited to see how long the queue was,  did a 3 point turn in the road, back to the roundabout and away on the diversion

• Thanks 1