Channel 5 1900 28/1 River Bure

Shemaha

Mmmm… just watched it. As usual slightly disappointed. Started in Aylsham in a canoe and next stop Belaugh, what happened to Coltishall? Obviously Wroxham is featured, then Wroxham Broad and Horning (now a town!). Good to see some sedge cutting before arriving at St Benet’s. The iconic wherries were mentioned detailing the trade between Yarmouth and the towns of Aylsham and Norwich(!). As the road signs say “Welcome to Norwich a Fine Town”. The Thurne mill was an interesting stop and that was that, no Acle and beyond…😎

28 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

I would have liked some coverage of the broads - Salhouse, Malthouse and South Walsham all big parts of the River Bure…😎

OK. Fair comment BB . They could not possibly cover everything however I would hope that you would agree that it gave a good representation of the broads, an honest insight into the pleasures and appreciation that most of us recognise and value.

• Like 3

On 28/01/2022 at 20:03, Bluebell said:

Mmmm… just watched it. As usual slightly disappointed. Started in Aylsham in a canoe and next stop Belaugh, what happened to Coltishall? Obviously Wroxham is featured, then Wroxham Broad and Horning (now a town!). Good to see some sedge cutting before arriving at St Benet’s. The iconic wherries were mentioned detailing the trade between Yarmouth and the towns of Aylsham and Norwich(!). As the road signs say “Welcome to Norwich a Fine Town”. The Thurne mill was an interesting stop and that was that, no Acle and beyond…😎

Horning has been a town for many years, the first edition of Horning Sailing club was called Horning Town Sailing Club  and that was formed in 1910....

• Like 1

Of the show, 

I was on a bridge over the upper stretches of the river a couple of weeks back, it seemed a lot narrower than the video showed.

I know a couple of those that spoke / sailed on the show, I'm sure some Micky taking is due. The helm of the Yare and Bure one design is a regular sailor at Snowflake Sailing club at Horning..

The race on Wroxham Broad, I think was staged, unless it was a Beer can race, too many different classes of boats in a single race, certainly not representative of the normal racing there.

Horning, they showed a clip of the Thursday afternoon sailing school , but no mention of what was going on.. again I recognised people on the water.. The high shots over the Southern comfort and sailing club were on a different day to that of the sailing school...

yes disappointed at no mention of Acle and below, less scenic I know but there's a lot of history and interest down there.

15 hours ago, LizG said:

Next Friday it is SW France - river not named "Escape on a magical voyage through the green heart of South-West France" One for Vaughan to comment on?

Sounds like the Garonne or the Tarn but they are not navigable.  If is the Charente, it will be well worth watching!  Possibly the most beautiful river in France.  It was the French king Francois 1er who named it "Le plus beau ruisseau dans le Royaume".

• Like 3

Given the title of the programme is World's Most Scenic River Journeys then it's not surprising that they didn't cover the less scenic stretch past Acle. Or that they digressed slightly up the Thurne.

I thought it was a much better programme than some I have seen. To be counted amongst the world's most scenic is an accolade in itself.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Horning has been a town for many years, the first edition of Horning Sailing club was called Horning Town Sailing Club  and that was formed in 1910....

Oh, okay sorry. I was going by the list of the Norfolk Association of local councils which lists Horning as a parish council not a town council.

Live and learn…😎

On 30/01/2022 at 09:49, Vaughan said:
On 29/01/2022 at 17:47, LizG said:

Next Friday it is SW France - river not named "Escape on a magical voyage through the green heart of South-West France" One for Vaughan to comment on?

Sounds like the Garonne or the Tarn but they are not navigable.  If is the Charente, it will be well worth watching!  Possibly the most beautiful river in France.  It was the French king Francois 1er who named it "Le plus beau ruisseau dans le Royaume".

Well, it turned out to be the Dordogne.  I should have guessed, as that is where all the British expats have their second homes, so plenty of English for the programme to feature!

It is actually a very beautiful area which is steeped in history and largely unspoilt by development or heavy industry.

Did they do it justice? - Sort of.

• Like 3

Tv is entertainment - take it as such!! Does it matter that the wherry shots were taken on different days with some showing the wherry reefed and with just the crew and others with full sail and a charter party on board? No - not to me at least!!I I thought overall it gave a good indication of the area and showed it in a very favourable light! End of!!!!

• Like 4

Not a bad programme. I knew it was coming as we had the camera crew aboard our boat in September with the Bridge Pilot.

Our bridge passage didn't make the cut as the family aboard Fair Countess were probably more what they were looking for than a group of local lads in their forties with half a ton of beer aboard.

My mate did get about three seconds of screen time (he's the one casting off for the pilot) and there was a forward view of the boat (Topaz). In both of those shots I was stood right next to the cameraman so wasn't going to get in shot really.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Not a bad programme. I knew it was coming as we had the camera crew aboard our boat in September with the Bridge Pilot.

Our bridge passage didn't make the cut as the family aboard Fair Countess were probably more what they were looking for than a group of local lads in their forties with half a ton of beer aboard.

My mate did get about three seconds of screen time (he's the one casting off for the pilot) and there was a forward view of the boat (Topaz). In both of those shots I was stood right next to the cameraman so wasn't going to get in shot really.

Did you need the half a ton of beer to get under the bridge?!

What was the bridge height when you went through? Not acres of room when Fair Countess went through - Asking for a friend. They did show the clearance in the programme but I don’t know if it was filmed at the same time.

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Did you need the half a ton of beer to get under the bridge?!

What was the bridge height when you went through? Not acres of room when Fair Countess went through - Asking for a friend. They did show the clearance in the programme but I don’t know if it was filmed at the same time.

Well it's always sensible to have it aboard just in case :8_laughing:

I can't remember to be honest, but I know there wasn't much clearance.

Not sure if she went through on that run, but there was a Fair Countess hovering behind us with another camera crew aboard so I'd assume it was a similar time.

A few years ago  we were  moored on the quay in Ely in our Sheerline 950 when we saw Griff Rees-Jones coming towards us in a rowing boat. What we didn't realise until we saw the programme  about a year later, was that he had pulled  alongside us, stopping to conjecture on how our boat came to be called Hot Gossip. Suggesting it was because the owner who he called Ted had a reputation with his neighbours for having bevies of beauties on board and plying them with gins and tonics.

Carole

28 minutes ago, addicted said:

A few years ago  we were  moored on the quay in Ely in our Sheerline 950 when we saw Griff Rees-Jones coming towards us in a rowing boat. What we didn't realise until we saw the programme  about a year later, was that he had pulled  alongside us, stopping to conjecture on how our boat came to be called Hot Gossip. Suggesting it was because the owner who he called Ted had a reputation with his neighbours for having bevies of beauties on board and plying them with gins and tonics.

Carole

Hello Carole,

I often thought there may have been an association with the dance troop Hot Gossip.

Regards

Alan