Goodbye To A Beloved Crewmate

Broads01

This week our beloved Lhasa Apso dog, Rollie, passed away. It's been a hell of a shock because he had an aggressive form of cancer and it all happened in a matter of days. Our first dog, he was only 6 years old and we'd had him just 3 years after he came to us as a rescue.

In the 3 years in which Rollie enriched our lives he came to the Broads with me on 6 occasions. He absolutely loved it because he would relish exploring so many riverside locations. He was happy walking anywhere but he loved sniffing his way through the woods at Salhouse and sprinting off the lead at St Benets. He had a lovely nature and loved meeting dogs and people. When I return to the Broads this year it will be very much coloured with sadness. However, my happiest memories of Rollie are when we were boating together so I hope I'll gain some comfort. Rest peacefully our beautiful boy.

IMG_20210530_113141_3.jpg

IMG-20210722-WA0012.jpg

IMG_20210720_084957_9.jpg

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

_20190927_132025.JPG

• Sad 20

Sorry to hear of your loss, Simon.  People who haven’t had a dog, don’t realise what a huge loss they are when their time comes.  Our Harley is 9 now and I fear the time when we have to say goodbye to her, so can only imagine your pain at the moment.  At least you have photos and  happy memories of good times over the past few years.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this, always the horrible part of having a dog but at least you have given him a good life in your care.

Don't let this part put you off having another, the years of good times far outweigh the nasty bit and rescue is by far the best breed, there's plenty out there needing a good home.

• Like 7

It is the hardest part of sharing life with a faithful pooch, they are in every meaningful way part of your family. The last great sacrifice we make for them is to ensure they do not suffer however hard it is for us.

Genuinely sorry for your loss, like others have said I really do know how you feel.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sorry to hear this, always the horrible part of having a dog but at least you have given him a good life in your care.

Don't let this part put you off having another, the years of good times far outweigh the nasty bit and rescue is by far the best breed, there's plenty out there needing a good home.

I agree whole heartedly. Apart from our first GSD that we got as a 12 week pup back in 1987, when I was stationed in Germany, we’ve had another three GSD’s (not all at the same time!), all of who were rescue dogs. Loyal, obedient and loving animals. First GSD lived to the ripe old age of 14! Second one - 11 and the third one 10. Current one (Luna) going strong at 6!

Chris

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind comments. Thankfully we're not dogless because we have Betsy (also a Lhasa). We also have Ollie, my step daughter's cockerpoo living with us at the moment. Both of them are completely different to Rollie bit lovely in their own individual way. Thank goodness they're here - to have a home without a dog now would be unbearable.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

I agree whole heartedly. Apart from our first GSD that we got as a 12 week pup back in 1987, when I was stationed in Germany, we’ve had another three GSD’s (not all at the same time!), all of who were rescue dogs. Loyal, obedient and loving animals. First GSD lived to the ripe old age of 14! Second one - 11 and the third one 10. Current one (Luna) going strong at 6!

Chris

What is a GSD please?

I feel for your loss Simon, we had to have our 13 year old cocker put down 5 years ago, broke my heart, I still have tear in my eye when I think about her

People who say it's just a dog, just don't get do they?

However we got a rescue cocker, 6 months later and she has eased some of the pain! 

Amber will never be forgotten, but Lottie brightens our life!

• Like 3