Loo Paper

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

Well I've given you the feeder line but if no-one is going to take the bait I'll just have to do the punchline myself: 

...one up, one down and a polish!

Toilet roll in the Forces ? - surely that's up to room service to supply :default_wink:

• Like 1

As most ex servicemen and women will tell you, after basic training and onward postings, you spend a huge sum of your own money replacing issued kit. Ie bergens,boots  Norwegians etc etc oh and of course a few home comforts for in the field and loo roll is top of most ppl lists 🙄 

• Like 1

Izal type toilet roll started being phased out in the military around about 1983-84 that's in normal barrack use. They started accusing us of stealing it when it arrived... No we weren't stealing it.. we were using it for the first time... The replacement isn't as good as the cheapest own brand paper, but a huge improvement on the greaseproof paper of the past.

Compo ration packs what's in there now I have no idea, But Izal stayed for many a years after..

I remember that Izal in my Grans outside privvy, was the only paper that didnt get soggy and disintegrate from the damp and cold, there was always a big torch by the back door to take out there with you, then if you wanted soft you used the squares of newspaper on a string.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grendel said:

I remember that Izal in my Grans outside privvy, was the only paper that didnt get soggy and disintegrate from the damp and cold, there was always a big torch by the back door to take out there with you, then if you wanted soft you used the squares of newspaper on a string.

Newspaper was always preferable to the Radio Times - no  staples! 😁😉

24 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Yeah but you had to wipe the ink off your bum afterwards :default_rofl:

Chris

The newspaper inks in the good old days of outside loos were mineral based and generally didn't transfer to your bum. H & S came along and newspaper inks became mainly vegetable (soy) based and would definitely transfer.

• Like 1

I cant remember names now apart from news of the world was one but some newspapers were preferred over  others as there printing ink wasn't detrimental to ones skin, no shortages in them days other than father hadn't refilled the string holder. John

• Like 1

This thread drawn up a lot of memories for me

When I was a teenager, my Mam and I used to spend most of our Sunday afternoons visiting a great-aunt who lived in a small cottage on the foothills of Snowdon. I wasn't keen on visiting her loo. It was a small shed overlooking the field next to the cottage and was the original privy (non-flush) with pieces of newspaper treaded on a string and hung behind the door. She didn't have any running water in the house either, just a tap in the farmyard.

It's amazing how she managed. I think she relied on her sister in law and the postman for her food shop (postman had his own chickens, so eggs were plentiful), and she always gave us an afternoon tea with (tinned) salmon sandwiches, tinned fruit and a homemade cake.

In the late '70s she was struggling to cope and moved into a home. She thought she was in heaven, with an en suite and all 'mod cons'.

She also gave me a gold ring with small garnets embedded in it. I love it partly because it reminds me of Auntie Maggie, but also for the story behind it. Her father had found the ring whilst ploughing. I've often wondered how such a lovely ring ended up in a remote field in Snowdonia. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, annv said:

I cant remember names now apart from news of the world was one but some newspapers were preferred over  others as there printing ink wasn't detrimental to ones skin, no shortages in them days other than father hadn't refilled the string holder. John

Exchange and Mart!

On 28/06/2022 at 23:36, SteveO said:

Odd that, we keep the used stuff in a plastic lidded box with a plastic bag liner and empty it every time we get rid of rubbish.  Either we don't seem to get the bad smells or my nose can't detect it any more.

I will try and make this sound as pleasant as I can.    This may be ok for normal functioning folk but anyone with my bowel disease , not on your nelly.   If it came to it that you could not flush said you know what down the loo , then that would be the end of boating for me and I would imagine many others as my disease is quite common.

13 hours ago, LizG said:

The one holiday on the Shannon in 1965 - we were required to use Izal!! What a shock to the system having got so accustomed to the 'modern paper' 

Never mind shock to the system, it’d be a shock to one of the more sensitive areas of my anatomy!!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you dont flush your paper down the toilet is that because you dont have a holding tank? when abroad they tell you not to flush paper down the pan this is because they spreed it on the fields as manure and it has nothing to do with blocking the pipes. John

20 minutes ago, annv said:

If you dont flush your paper down the toilet is that because you dont have a holding tank? when abroad they tell you not to flush paper down the pan this is because they spreed it on the fields as manure and it has nothing to do with blocking the pipes. John

If you spread it on the fields from a sea toilet you need to brush up on your mooring technique... :default_biggrin:

You're meant to stop before the bank.

• Haha 4