Winter Upgrades And Maintenance.

mikeyboy1966

What have you got planned?
I’ll start,

remove gearbox and replace engine crankshaft seal,

I was planning to do this straight away after buying the broom but delayed so we could spend more time cruising .

fit electric toilet in fwd heads,currently has manual pump using river water,( can get a bit smelly)

refinish all flooring.

fit additional fridge(more beer:default_biggrin:)

relocate batteries from plastic boxes into centralised bank.

antifoul,currently looks like it’s had coat after coat without a proper sand back.

deep clean ,bilges etc

refit the new compressor fridge and trim up properly as I kinda chucked it in the hole when I removed the 3 way one removed earlier in the summer.

some cosmetics,powder coat a few bits,rechrome anchor roller and broom  badges ,

Over to you:default_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

What have you got planned?
I’ll start,

remove gearbox and replace engine crankshaft seal,

I was planning to do this straight away after buying the broom but delayed so we could spend more time cruising .

fit electric toilet in fwd heads,currently has manual pump using river water,( can get a bit smelly)

refinish all flooring.

fit additional fridge(more beer:default_biggrin:)

relocate batteries from plastic boxes into centralised bank.

antifoul,currently looks like it’s had coat after coat without a proper sand back.

deep clean ,bilges etc

refit the new compressor fridge and trim up properly as I kinda chucked it in the hole when I removed the 3 way one removed earlier in the summer.

some cosmetics,powder coat a few bits,rechrome anchor roller and broom  badges ,

Over to you:default_biggrin:

:default_biggrin: Absolutely nothing.  This is the only time I don't miss having a boat!  Have fun

• Like 3

Hopefully nothing. Try to keep the boat up to scratch during the summer months, although there always seems to be something unexpected that crops up. 

This year was very expensive, replacing the 4 domestic batteries, nearly £2k :default_icon_e_confused:, but at least we won't be so desperate for electric posts next year when mooring overnight.

Looking forward to a couple of winter cruisers as well.  

New Engine / prop - in progress, waiting for Aquadrive unit

Bow thruster - just finished

Mud weight winch - in progress

Hull repaint / anti foul - next week or so

Stern cut out re-modelled after previous owner diy disaster - next week or so

Toilets refurbed - Done, although 1 seal may need checking.

Winter covers - Done

Heater ducting insulation & new controller

Re-seal 2 x windows

Once these are complete, I'll start on the summer list....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Lift out, hull polish and wax, antifoul, some gel repairs, new electric loo to replace the current manual Jabsco, new prop of the correct size and pitch (currently under propped) and an engine service.

How long did it take you to agree on what prop to get?!

took us about 12 months 😂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

How long did it take you to agree on what prop to get?!

took us about 12 months 😂

That’s for our boat (Norfolk Lady) not Moonlight Shadow.  We’re getting the prop on MS measured when she’s lifted in February for winter maintenance, to see what we actually have fitted before deciding on whether it needs replacing or not.

Two members of the syndicate think she’s under propped, the rest of us are happy as she is.  Although she has a new engine, the gearing is the same, so theoretically there should be no difference in performance other than being quieter and more economical.

• Like 1

Main winter project is to tidy the rats nest of wiring under the dash and re-design the dash panels as it has had bits changed and replaced over the years and looks a mess with blocks of wood covering holes so smaller instruments can be fitted, also volvo engine panels are identical so planning to fit all gauges separately and symmetrical centred on the steering position, 3mm aluminium panels cut to size and black leather effect vinyl wrap covering obtained, 2" depth sounder bought along with led engine warning lights, just got to make the circuitry to mimic the volvo engine alarms so the buzzer keeps quiet before the engines are started.

The existing.

20220903_184713.thumb.jpg.89a3c7b6606fdc7767e7571e82e0ebf4.jpg

The planned layout

20221029_135139.thumb.jpg.0be974d106b7d49fc259feee8cdf95b4.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mouldy said:

That’s for our boat (Norfolk Lady) not Moonlight Shadow.  We’re getting the prop on MS measured when she’s lifted in February for winter maintenance, to see what we actually have fitted before deciding on whether it needs replacing or not.

Two members of the syndicate think she’s under propped, the rest of us are happy as she is.  Although she has a new engine, the gearing is the same, so theoretically there should be no difference in performance other than being quieter and more economical.

If you had an MC42 before and now have a Nanni then I think she's likely to be undepropped.

It may appear like a costly and unnecessary item, but being underpropped is a bit like driving your car on the motorway in third gear - it's going to cost everyone more in fuel and the engine will always be revving higher than it needs to, meaning ultimately you'll get a shorter life out of it.

This, in my opinion is the problem with syndicates. These type of decisions should not be in the hands of people who don't have enough engineering knowledge to understand the consequences.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If you had an MC42 before and now have a Nanni then I think she's likely to be undepropped.

It may appear like a costly and unnecessary item, but being underpropped is a bit like driving your car on the motorway in third gear - it's going to cost everyone more in fuel and the engine will always be revving higher than it needs to, meaning ultimately you'll get a shorter life out of it.

This, in my opinion is the problem with syndicates. These type of decisions should not be in the hands of people who don't have enough engineering knowledge to understand the consequences.

We’ll find out what is fitted and get the correct size calculated.  1500 revs with a Perkins attached to a velvet drive gearbox will turn the prop at the same speed as 1500 revs from our Nanni with the same gearbox after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Blimey, tell me why boat ownership is so rewarding again? You guys must be knackered and penniless. Seriously though, good luck with it all

I think it would be very beneficial for me to have a bar in my shower at home now too :default_biggrin: x

Hi Gracie 

Boat ownership is rewarding because it gives you another venue to have a bar.

So glad you are posting again 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1